“Stella's--Wonderful Casual Restaurant in Kingston NY” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Hurley, New York
“Stella's--Wonderful Casual Restaurant in Kingston NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hidden away on North Front Street in Kingston is Stella's. You will probably have to look for it, and then spend a smidge of time finding a parking spot. If you don't readily find a parking spot on the street, there are two nearby municipal parking lots. In the evening there is no charge for parking.

We were a group of five, and went for dinner on a Monday night. When we called we were warned that only the "bar menu" would be available. The bar menu consisted of appetizers, sandwiches and salads--probably about fifteen items in all. It was sufficient for our needs. The sandwiches and salads came with a draft beer or glass of house wine. There were several semi-premium beers on tap, and it was nice and cold.

The house salad was outstanding--one of the best that I have ever had! It is close to a meal in itself. Everything else that our group ordered was very good to excellent. The portions were somewhat large, the service was excellent and the prices were very reasonable.

What more could you want from a casual restaurant? I recommend it highly!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kingston, NY
“Great casual dining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Family run restaurant with a hopping bar. I usually go for lunch which is very reasonable. The have a fantastic chicken salad. They are known for their salad which is huge and is made with a blue cheese vinagrette. I am not crazy about blue cheese so I order it light. Dinner is classic Italian.

Visited April 2014
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Pleasant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Pleasant. I cannot ask for more. Stella's is reliably delicious. It is the perfect cozy, romantic Italian restaurant and Italian food is my absolute favorite. I recommend the Calamari and the Chicken Francese (not so Italian but so yummy). Be sure you start with either a Hendricks Dry Martini or a Chocolate Martini minus the Baileys.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hudson River Valley, New York
“Could've been a Contender”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have been going to Stella's on and off for the last 10 years. The food has always been consistently okay. As a matter of fact if it wasn't for their amazing family-style salad I may have given up on this place a long time ago. The bar could be great with the right staff, who know how to make a real drink and not just pour a glass of wine or draft been. The service is consistently inconsistent. The host/owner will great you, if you are lucky, within 5 minutes of arriving. Every time I'm there it looks like her first night on the job. She is always scattered, running around, bussing tables, etc, while other service staff watch her do her anxiety-dance. This last time we arrived at 9:30 and even with the place half empty had to wait 10 minutes to get a table. The service this time was actually very good. However the salad was unusually salty and oily, I think the head chef must have stepped off the line due to it slowing down. My wife ordered chicken breast stuffed with Gorgonzola and asparagus. The chicken was like shoe leather, the Gorgonzola had completely cooked out of the chicken and the asparagus was soft and mushy. When we sent it back the host/owner came our table, not to apologize, but to tell us she thought it was moist and delicious, then walked away from our table with an attitude. Nice way to treat locals who have spent thousands of dollars in your restaurant over the last 10 years. We will not be going back, ever.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Always great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Always great food and service. Great atmosphere. I have never once had a bad meal or experience here. It's one of my usual spots!