“The longest wait” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The longest wait”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I made a reservation almost a week in advance for a family gathering; it was for 7 PM on Saturday. I spoke to someone on the phone, so as not to be confused that the reservation was made online, who said, "we'll be looking forward to seeing you on Saturday night".

My family and I arrived a few minutes before 7, and my niece informed the hostess we were there. The hostess let her know the table where we were to be seated already had a large party who had just been served their entrees; clearly not a good sign.

Over the next hour, myself as well as my niece, asked the hostess about the status of us being seated. NEVER during this time did she or anyone from the restaurant come to us to explain or offer any apology. The hostess always REACTED vs. being PROACTIVE. By 7:50, I was clearly annoyed and told "they're getting the check now". I firmly told her, "this is unacceptable" and let her know she had made no attempt to explain or apologize. She agreed and we never saw her again. Another hostess came over at 8:10 to let us know "we'll take care of things with appetizers". Eventually we were seated at 8:15! True to her word, appetizers came quickly, served by the owner? who apologized for the wait. The dinner that followed was delicious and we all enjoyed the food.

However, we all agreed the delay and absence of explanation and/or apology for over an hour when we had a reservation colored our reaction to the evening, adversely.

Visited May 2013

“Express Lunch - incredible value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We chose Savona's based on several things...its close proximity to the Rip Van Winkle, which was right across the street; it offered outside dining; we saw someone's pizza which looked yummy...and the aromas pervading from the restaurant were tantalizing. They had a menu posted...the pizzas were reasonably priced so we decided to try it. We intended to order pizza until I saw the Express Lunch! There were about 12 entrees on the Express Lunch. I had pasta a la vodka and my husband had lasagna bolognese. Regardless of which entree is selected, the fixed price of $12.95 includes your entree, soft drink, garlic bread sticks (which by the way are amazing and come with a seasoned olive oil dip), soup or salad (we had salad which was fresh with quality ingredients andno iceburg lettuce, and dessert with coffee! Dessert options include canollis, cheesecake or icecream. The portions were generous and the food was good...the garlic bread was the best ever!
The service was great at first but towards the end of our meal our server disappeared for about 15 minutes. By the time she returned we were very short on time (to get to our boat cruise) so we had to take our dessert with us. I was not offered coffee as was promised in the menu. Since it was still a good value I wasn't too upset and would still definitely recommend this restaurant and hope to return when we have a little more time.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newburgh, New York
“In a word. Gnocchi.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Gnocchi here are the lightest I have ever experienced! Fabulous food, worth traveling for. Attentive staff. And the Roundout is lovely in the Spring!

Visited April 2013
Kingston, New York, United States
“Local Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I love this place. The food is excellent and the service is great. I wish they had a bigger place because it is always packed in there. The garlic bread the give you is great and their homemade creamy balsamic dressing is amazing. I have like everything I have eaten there.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, New York
“Great Food good prices, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The service is great, the prices are good and the food is great. They have seating indoors and out (seasonal). Located by the water in downtown Kingston nice views and good for people watching too.

Visited November 2012