“Set Your Expectations Low” 2 of 5 stars

Super 8 Kenmore/Buffalo/Niagara Falls Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1288 Sheridan Drive, Kenmore, NY 14217   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kenmore
Toronto
“Set Your Expectations Low”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

The hotel is small and looks beat up around the edges. The lobby looked way, way out of date in fact the entire hotel was out of date. The lady at check in was vary nice and helped us out with questions we had about restaurants and malls. The room was small and the bed vary uncomfortable. There was a 12" TV in there with a fuzzy picture when it was on. We skipped breakfast because it looked gross, it was served in the lobby with seating for about 5 people. We payed about $71 in change for the 1 double bed room which I think was not worth what we got.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orem, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Our stay was about the same as what others have said. We were here in July for one night, and the price was adjusted way high for the summer traveler. It is close to Niagara Falls, we stayed here after spending the day there.

The lady who checked us in was very friendly and made us feel welcome to be there. The room was tiny, tiny, you could hardly turn around in it. I think it was probably a single that they have turned into a double.

We were put down at the far end of the hall, it was quiet, although the smell of smoke about choked you as you walked up to the front office. The motel is also located in kinda a dumpy area of town, right off a busy street with no real front to the motel, just the parking lot.

Everything else was adequate, about what you would expect from a Super 8.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — stinky hallways
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

Excellent price ($40). This is not your honeymoon suite (that's probably obvious). The check-in was quick and problem-free. They have 24 hour coffee and juice machines near the front desk and coffee maker in the room. The room was small but clean with clean walls. The heater worked and there was hot water in the shower. There were a couple of noisy guys walking through the parking lot at night, but since they went in the motel, they must have been guests. The continental breakfast was similar to other hotels in this category, except that you have to take it to you room. I ate breakfast at 6am, so I was the only person there. The check-out was quick.
Here comes the best part: I forgot my expensive camera in the room, and when I realized it I was a couple of hours away from Buffalo. I called the hotel and the manager said they have it as the cleaning person found it!!! I picked it up on my way back next day, and the front desk lady was very nice and would not even take the money as the tip for the hotel and the cleaning person, she said they were just doing their job. It's very nice to know that people like this still exist. I would recommend this place to everyone for the honesty of the people who work there.

• Liked — Honesty of staff
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Elmhurst, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

Stayed one night at the Super 8 at the AAA rate of $35.00. The room and bathroom were clean and maintained. The bed was comfortable. Staff
was very friendly. Only problem, the hallways have a smoke odor, but it did not affect the rooms. There is a free continental breakfast in the morning.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — Smoke odor in hallways
  • Stayed December 2007
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

We were in town for a gathering of Everquest friends, so we'd booked several motels across the area, and four of us were staying at the Super 8. We confused everyone on our entire journey by being a brother and sister with the same last names travelling together. The Super 8 assumed we'd miskeyed wanting two rooms and was happy enough to correct the mistake when we checked in. However, halfway through checkin, the morning manager changed her mind about which room she was going to give me. Not a problem, I thought.

Problem - Thursday morning, Friday morning, Saturday morning, Sunday morning and then again on Monday morning, I was awoken by housekeeping between midnight and 2am for them to clean the room. The mystery was cleared up Monday morning when the night manager appeared to find out why I was staying in a room marked empty. She tried to blame the day staff, but as she was the one who checked me in, I knew the reality.

The rooms were adequate for my purposes - one person sleeping, vegging, and occasionally surfing the internet. The walls were paper thin, I couldn't decide if it was the upstairs hallway that was having the clog dancing lessons or the people overhead, but they were quite loud. However, once asleep, they didn't wake me up.

The continental breakfast was a nod at the concept rather than an actual service. I would suspect, however, that most of it went out the door with their guests at seven am. I can't say I ever tried to investigate it before 8:30am. My only real complaint about it was the cups were tiny (175 ML?) for drinking anything out of. There was a nice patio out back for sitting, reading, eating breakfast.

The hotel itself was clean, if old. It was a bit worn around the edges, but the current management and ownership obviously did everything they could to keep it clean and organized. Can't make purses from sow's ear.

What really saved this place and would make me come back, was hearing the stories of the other motels in the neighbourhood. My friends stayed in "an ashtray," "a cockroach vacation spot," and "I don't care special." The personnel at the Super 8 were friendly, mostly happy, and they tried. I definitely got my money's worth and I'd stay there again next summer for the next gathering.

Is it a five star place with a pool and restaurant? Heck no. But it is a convenient bed that's softer than most, with staff that try to fix problems ASAP, and a clean place to rest? Yes. I'd recommend it to anyone who is just looking for a place to sleep.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The thin walls
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

It's a pretty no-frills type of place. Rooms were clean and comfortable. No restaurant, but there are two places within walking distance and both give a 10% discount with a hotel key. Excellent rates. If you're looking for a place to sleep, watch TV and maybe surf the internet, you can't beat the price.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamilton, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

Got the last available room on the Saturday of the Labour Day long weekend at around 9:30-10:00 p.m (didnt have a reservation). Couple ahead of us nearly took it, but they checked the room and refused it when they came out. Lady came out wheezing and said she couldnt breathe in there because of too much air freshener. I checked it, and it was overpowering, but I opened the window and aired it out. Not sure if it was in the carpet or air, but it was very strong even hours later. Room was clean but small - 2 full beds, two upholstered chairs (one very sticky!), nightstand, table in the corner only big enough for the tv, a "desk" which was full of stuff (coffee maker, brochure stand, etc.), so really nowhere for anyone to eat their continental breakfast. (photos of the property show a table and chairs in the room, but that table was not in our room). Continental breakfast had two kinds of cereal, two kinds of juice, bagels and mini-muffins. Not much selection or availability (people ahead of us pretty much cleaned it out). Coffee was terrible, and they had already run out of regular coffee cream by 9am. No pool, no frills. One side faces busy street, the other faces a parking lot for a school bus company. Train crossing very close as we saw train and heard its loud horn several times from our room that evening. Walls are paper thin, as are the floors/ceilings. Could hear people in next room as clear as day. Stayed on first floor and the people upstairs sounded like a herd of buffalo. I expect our neighbors could hear our noisy kidlets too. Two cleaning carts left in hallway for our entire stay (the can of Raid on it wasn't at all comforting). Air conditioner dripped onto the floor after using it for 20 mins, although the guy at the front desk told me that was impossible. Ended up putting a bucket under it. Paid $90.00 for the night. Walking distance to a couple of corner stores/gas stations, and easy access to freeway.

• Liked — It appeared clean.
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Super 8 Kenmore/Buffalo/Niagara Falls Area? Share your experiences!