“We live in Thailand - and miss Sabaidee” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 65 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Thai
Binghamton, New York
“We live in Thailand - and miss Sabaidee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

When I saw almost no reviews for this restaurant and that one was very bad it was a sad sight to see.My fiance and I used to order from here constantly, in fact it is part of the reason we moved to Thailand. It is important to mention that I believe the family is originally from Laos, though food in Laos is very similar to a lot of northern and north eastern Thai dishes. While we could certainly pick out the differences between Sabaidee's food and that of our current hometown, Nakhon Sawan Thailand, it is far and away the most authentic example of Thai in the Binghamton area and better in fact than Thai we have eaten in New York, LA and San Francisco. Recommended dishes include the prik Thai and pad gra pow - 'basil sauce' , the green curry which is better than many examples in Thailand proper, the tom yum which is very strongly spiced and makes many examples in Thailand seem bland, and although not a Thai dish the peanut sauce which is only rivaled by a sate vendor we had in Penang Malaysia. The beef pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup is also very good, better than Mekong when it was open. Finally I should note that when we were home in October we visited another restaurant, Thai Time on two occasions and were extremely underwhelmed. The pad khee Mao - drunken noodles I believe, tasted like they had ketchup in them and my fiance asked for 'as spicy as you can make it' and instead of frying with fresh chilis they just covered it with dry chili - not spicy. Sabaidee will burn you with real fresh chili if you ask for it hot, and Thai Time's massaman curry was white and looked like coconut milk - massaman is supposed to be firey red with a thick layer of oil on top. If you want ambience go to Thai time but if you want, sweet, salty, spicy and savory southeast Asian flavors you must try Sabaidee - very good prices as well and any dish can be made with chicken, pork, beef or delicious fried tofu, perfect for vegeterians like myself. :-) they also deliver.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vestal, New York
“Terrible Example of Thai, The Worst Experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I visited this restaurant last night. I had a restaurant.com certificate from last year that I haven't had the chance to use until now so I loaded the family into the car and we arrived about 8:00pm. There was only one other table eating when we arrived and the restaurant was very cold. We ordered the satay chicken, calamari as a appetizer and thai tea to drink. The thai tea was "salty" tasting so I didn't really drink it. When the chicken satay came out, there were 3 skewars of meat for $4.95. The chicken looked "grey" in color and was very bland. The calamari wasn't too bad but it's an easy thing to make.. we ordered the pad thai, pad se iw and kung prao duck. The pad thai was overly sweet and cold. The Pad see iw had too many noodles and hardly no meat or veggies and the only veggie was broccoli. The duck wasn't crispy it was fatty and bland. The waiter never asked to refill our drinks, only checked on us 1 time the whole meal. When I presented my certificate, he said they didn't accept them anymore because restaurant.com "screwed them over too many times" I told him that I paid for the certificate and it didn't expire so they should honor it and they started to argue with me in the middle of the restaurant. I will NEVER go back there. The food wasn't worth it and the service was horrible. If you want delicious thai food in the area, go to Thai Basil in Endicott. It's worth it!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Berlin, New York
“What a great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Sabaidee's is a great place to go for lunch. I eat out for lunch almost every day and have a choice of almost any place within one hour of Norwich to eat. This is the restaurant myself and my coworkers eat at the most. The staff is great (most weekdays it's just the one guy at the counter, the owner, and the lady that does the cooking). The price of a lunch is about $6 a meal. If you go away hungry it's your own fault. I've had just about every item on the menu and its all good (don't try the fish sauce). Like a Star Wars ton-ton it looks bad on the outside and looks worse on the inside. Don't let that fool you! This is one of those small restaurants that you wished you had told you're friend about, but didn't and then they showed it to you and your jealous.

Visited August 2012