“Worst Hotel I have ever Stayed in! Staff Extremely Rude!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Jamestown
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Worst Hotel I have ever Stayed in! Staff Extremely Rude!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went from a fantastic vacation (in a 3rd world country) to being treated like a 4 yr old in this hotel. The check-in was actually quite pleasant but it quickly went down hill from there.

Staff -- Staff was extremely rude and unprofessional to everyone (except the check-in that we had - she was the only nice person in the hotel). I witnessed the hotel staff behind the check-in desk screaming at several hotel guests. I don't know what happened before but I witness the following --- There were three families discussing their experience at the hotel (they were talking about how rude the staff was to everyone) when the staffer came out of the back office and started screaming at them. As the argument was going on another guest came in to check in. The lady guest said to the person checking in, "I wouldn't check in if I were you - they are extremely rude to everyone!" The hotel staffer then yelled back, "Don't worry, he doesn't have kids so he is fine!" I was standing there witnessing this with my kids standing beside me. The Staffer was completely disrespectful and unprofessional! I wasn't even in the argument and I was really offended. What I witnessed was again completely unacceptable from the Hotel staff. There were a lot of kids in the hotel last weekend due to a hockey tournament but I did not see any of them being rude or rowdy. If Best Western is not kid friendly hotel then they should specify that on their website. The Guests who were engaged in the argument did have children with them and they did not seem to be causing any trouble either but was being well behaved. They were simply trying to use the lobby to eat their lunch that they ordered in.

Pull out couch -- We requested the pull out couch because we have a family of five. The mattress in the couch was the worst mattress I have ever seen. We vacation all the time and use hotels with pull out couches and this was by far the worst I have ever seen. I then requested a cot. I phoned down to the front desk and asked for a cot. The staff said they will check to see if they have one available and then call me back. I waited 20 minutes and then called the front desk back. The staff said, "Oh, sorry about that - I'll be right up!" I waited another 20 minutes and then had someone go down to see if they could just bring it up. The staffer yelled at them and said, "I told her that I was going to look and we might not have one available - and we don't!" So my husband slept on the couch. At 8am the next morning - I went down to the front desk and ask to reserve a cot for the next night and the Staff said they had a couple available and would bring one up right away. Which they did! I highly doubt the person I talked to the night before even looked due to her attitude towards me and my friend -- and that 2 people turned in their cots so early in the morning (and was cleaned and ready to go). Now the cot was just as bad of quality as the mattress in the couch so again my husband slept on the dirty couch.

Overall Cleanliness of the hotel - Couch was the dirtiest thing I have seen in a hotel! The cushions were torn and completely dirt stained. Floors in the room needed a bad cleaning. Sheets had stains on them. No comforters on the beds. The Clean remote was dirty!

Breakfast - Eggs were brown and burnt so I chose to just eat some toast. I understand that making something like fresh eggs every day is difficult so I didn't mind until I went to get the bread. All the bread had mold on it. I just decided not to eat breakfast. Many people said the waffles were good but I couldn't get past the eggs and the moldy bread.

Basically, don't stay there unless you have no other place to stay -- even then think twice!

Room Tip: Just don't stay! Find another Hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Robin M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I am sorry you felt this way. As I mentioned in my other remarks, my staff did the best job they could.

Robin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hockey families beware!!! This hotel is directly across from the Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena. Apparently, the staff realizes that since the location is so convenient, they can treat their customers terribly and people will still stay there. Front desk was rude when families called to book their reservations, rude when families checked in, and downright nasty when speaking to paying customers and children. Our group was told the reason there were no comforters on the bed was because "hockey people" were staying there. Front desk staff would not allow us to have any forks to eat our dinner with (I have been at other hotels in the area where the staff was extremely accommodating when it came to plastic and paper items). Then during a conversation between hockey families, the front desk staff butted in and started an argument!!! When we tried to warn a gentleman who was checking in that he may not want to stay here, the front desk staff said "he's a frequent customer. He won't be a problem because HE DOESN'T HAVE KIDS"!!! If the staff has a problem with children and/or hockey teams, it may be a good idea to request off on the weekend of the annual HOCKEY TOURNAMENT, which happens to be the only weekend of the year this hotel is booked solid. I have never been treated so poorly by someone in the hospitality industry. Aside from the treatment of the staff, the room was decent. It would be nice to have wifi in rooms and the hallways were extremely hot. Parking is terrible. Expect to trade good service for convenience when staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Robin M, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am sorry you did not have a good weekend. I still stand by my staff and their choices. Maybe things could have been handled a little different, but under the circumstances, I think we did the best we could.
Allison Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Before I begin the review, here is a rhetorical question. If one works in the service industry, shouldn't he or she be expected to deal with people in a friendly way?

The hotel from the outside is not impressive, but the room that we stayed in was nice. It had one king size bed and a very nice LG television. The room was clean and quiet.

We were there for a hockey tournament, so the place was booked with kids. This would mean that kids would be in the halls playing and having a good time. The woman at the desk who worked late Saturday and early Monday was anything but nice. She was constantly yelling at the kids, and she was miserable during the morning breakfast. She had a sour look on her face the entire time and acted like she was doing us a favor by being there. Not very nice--and not very helpful.

The parking was not very accessible if you did not get one of the few spots in the lot. The spillover lot should have steps leading to them.

Would I stay there again? Yes, because it is right across from the hockey rink. This makes the miserable staff bearable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am really sorry you did not have a good weekend. Yes, my staff was tired of being disrespected. Yes, maybe they did not handle things properly, but I still stand by my staff in all of their decisions.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed almost every weekend in September - we stayed in the same room each weekend. Each arrival we found our room to be clean and well appointed. If there were 2 upgrades i could suggest they would be this: the recliner in room left a bit to be desired. It seemed to be wasting away - unpadded and rickety. My large and in charge frame refused to sit in it for fear of taking her out for the count. And #2 - for as nice as everyrhing else is - I believe the tv's needed an upgrade. Surely they were good ebnough, but theres just something about a flat acreen hdtv that finishes off the experience. Staff were lovely - the full buffet breakfast was exceptional and more than expected! Make your own waffles, yum! Sausages, eggs, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts, fresh fruits... it was wonderful if you couldnt find something to satisfy your palate - youre prolly on some gluten free diet and should be bringing your own meals with you anyways!!
The pool was so nice! Warm - and not too deep. And #1 when it comes to a pool - IT WAS CLEAN! definitely didnt feel icky about swimming there!!! If i need to stay in a hotel in jamestown again, i will certainly look first @ the the best western... and at all costs do yourself the favor and avoid the ramada... no joke... im about to post my scathing review of that hotel next...

• Stayed September 2012
Robin M, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for the nice vote of confidence.

We all work very hard to keep the hotel in top shape.

I am glad you enjoyed your stays.

Hopefully next time, you can come for entertainment rather than for health.

GM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I travel a lot for my job- I officiate Ice Hockey across the East and Midwest. Great Hotel in my opinion. Rooms are clean, and staff is very nice. The breakfast is awesome here, with many food options. The rooms also include a fridge! A very big deal for me as I travel a lot and have a lot of drinks with me (not usually alcohol). Free wifi is a nice plus, and they have a nice pool area for anyone who has time to do so. In a great location in Jamestown, right in the heart of Downtown. Not the most up to date places but are clean and get the job done. If they renovated some parts of the hotel and rooms, it would easily be a 5 star in my opinion. Cannot comment on the value as I get the hotel for free (although we usually have to get cheaper hotels). Stayed here 2 times and both times never had any issue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Robin M, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are hoping to do some renovating soon. Its not my call, but if it was, things would be different. We will be getting Flat Screen TV's by the end of this year.

Thank you again for staying with us.

GM
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for years when in town for a family reunion every year. The staff has always been gracious, welcoming, and friendly. The hotel is well run and kept up to a clean standard. The breakfast is great and they have good choices from fresh fruit, waffles, eggs, cereals, etc. Parking is limited, however, there is plenty of on street parking. The hotel is downtown and within walking distance to many attractions, restuarants and bars.

Room Tip: stayed in different floors and areas, all seem to be good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Robin M, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I do hope you will return if back in the area again.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Downtown Jamestown? Share your experiences!