“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Bellmore, New York
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

When we are out in Riverhead or the Jamesport area, this is always a stop for us! We went to Cliffs two years ago where we decided we were getting married out here. The staff is so friendly and the food is at a reasonable price. I haven't had a bad meal and the steak is out of this world. It is a bit small but that's why we love it... so quaint and special.The best part was... On our wedding day (4-26-14), we visited cliffs with our bridal party and took some pictures inside by the bar and outside. It was a great time & we will be back soon!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

ny
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I grew up in the area & everyone i know has eaten here & loved it, but somehow i never had the chance. My husband & I went this past Saturday night & I'm sorry to say it was just ok. We arrived late, at the end of the dinner rush, so were seated right away, but our table was just outside the bathroom doors (which open directly into the dining room). Yikes! Seating was crowded, but that we expected going in & it was not a problem. We got the clams casino & fried pickles appetizers & they were both good. My husband ordered the porterhouse, which was tender & tasty, but totally charred on the outside (intentionally, per the menu). For that reason, I would never order it myself, even thought it was cooked perfectly on the inside.. I got the pork chop special, which was pretty good, except the mushroom gravy seemed like it came out of a jar. Mashed potatoes were excellent. Entrees do not come with a vegetable (odd) but we shared a side order of broccoli, which was very good. Entrees do come with a "salad", but it was lettuce, carrot & onion, not a tomato or cuke in sight. Don't know if they ran out of them, but for me a salad is not a salad without a tomato! One other thing is that the plates are so small that the food falls off if you try to cut anything! It's not like they were trying to skimp on food, so I'm not sure why they would use small oval plates that I equate with appetizers for their entrees. Service was excellent & attentive but I doubt we will go back. It's too bad, because I think if they just tweaked a few things it could be great!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Queens, NY
“Awesome food - Long wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

4th time, love the food! This time we had a party of 6, which I called ahead and made a reservation for, and we waited 35 minutes past our reservation time. Not their fault, they only have 1 or 2 tables that can sit 6+, so we had to wait. No Biggie, just that we were hungry from wine tasting all day and to smell that food for that long without being able to eat was torturous.

Once we were seated, everything went without a hitch. Had to marinate Filet for the first time, usually get the PorterHouse. Filet was to die for. Wife had the Pork chop! WOW! Friend ordered the Surf and Turf and boy did he get lucky....The Filet is $34.99, the Surf & turf is $35.99. The Filet he received was almost the size of my Filet. It was like he got a Lobster tail for $1. Good for him!

If you havent eaten here and you love Steak, you must get the Marinated Filet!

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Center Moriches, New York
“Carnivore Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Cliff's Elbow Room is my wife's favorite place for steak and I can't say I disagree. It took it's name from the size of the dining room which is quite small with tables that are very close to each other. It is usually very crowded at normal meal times so we try to get there in the late afternoon when tables are available quickly. The ambiance isn't great, but that's not why people go there. There are a lot of varied dishes on the menu, but the real reason for its popularity is the meat. There are three cuts of steak: New York shell steak (a huge, thick hunk of meat), filet mignon (also large and very lean), and porterhouse (we haven't tried it). They also offer a large broiled steak burger (freshly ground beef). All of these can be served plain or marinated. Various people and magazines have attempted to obtain the marinade recipe without success. All dinners are served with salad, rolls and either french fries or a baked potato. Six of us recently went there for dinner and we ordered three marinated shell steaks and three filet mignons. Two of the shell steaks also had gorgonzola spread across the top. They were ordered from rare to medium rare to medium and all came out perfectly, except one filet which was a bit too rare in the center. The meat was incredibly tender and quite tasty. Service was good with our cheery waitress taking our orders quickly and visiting our table several times to make sure we were happy. Five of us had soft drinks and one person had two glasses of wine. We also had two appetizers for the table. The bill came to $255 before tip, which, considering the quality of the food, was reasonable and far less than the steakhouses in western Suffolk and Nassau County. We have been there before and will certainly return.

• Visited December 2013
Brooklyn
“Steak, steak, steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Did I mention the steak. Delicious. Served with their own marinade and grilled to perfection. I am a steak lover and I was totally pleased with my T-Bone. The steaks are huge and delicious. The steamers for an appetizer were also a big hit. It was a large portion in a delicious, garlicky sauce.
I will return for the steak. Yum

• Visited December 2013