“Great Hotel, Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton New York JFK

You added Hilton New York JFK to your Saves list
Hilton New York JFK
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   144-02 135th Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11436 (Formerly JFK international Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Jamaica
Swampscott, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel, Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I really enjoyed my one night stay after dropping my wife off for an International flight. The shuttle driver was extremely courteous, and carried all my heavy bags to the bus, Reception staff extremely friendly and helpful. Restaurant manager and waiters went out of their way to make everyone happy, the manager even coming by to offer me free drink refills, Loved the room and bed. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.
There was an issue with a loud noise coming from the compressor for the ac unit. When I called the desk, they sent maintenance up immediately and relocated me to a more quiet room.
Also, when you reach Federal Circle to take the shuttle, Hilton Garden is listed, but not the Hilton. It is very easy to take the wrong shuttle bus by mistake, it happened to one gentleman while I was there. One has to know in advance to dial "65" on the menu to reach the Hilton, it is listed as International something or other. I think the airport people are responsible for updating the signage to eliminate the confusion.

Room Tip: Check out the ac for excessive noise before unpacking.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Cheshire, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I found the customer service to be very good, always positive, helpful and friendly. There is a JFK departure screen in the lobby with shuttles running to and from the airport on the hour and half-hour twenty-four hours a day. My fiance had a flight and while I stuck around New York, I found the travel into Manhattan from the hotel a little much for a relative newbie to the bus/subway system. I found the room to be spacious and very clean, with really nice fluffy towels! The only thing lacking is the breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Good day MinMin100!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your positive experience with the tripadvisor community.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast buffet however, and am very open to your feedback. Please contact me directly so I can get more specifics to improve that experience 718-269-3052.

Gerald Loughran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Upon booking a room on the executive floor through hotels.com, I arrived at the hotel to find that there were no rooms available on the executive floor. After an hour of arguing with hotels .com on the phone (it was an error on hotels.com part), the situation was finally remedied. During this whole time, I had a smile on my face. Why you ask?

Because of the staff they have here. Starting with Emily and Sana at the front desk, I was treated with much care and respect. However, the real star of the bunch is Dana, the bartender. She helped me through the whole ordeal, trying to do all she could to make sure I was taken care of.

I have never written a review on any website, but because of the way I was treated, I felt compelled to. Book your stay at the Hilton, you'll be treated like a king no matter what thanks to people like Dana they have hired here. Other hotels have a lot to learn.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Roslovern,

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words and compliments of our staff! We are all delighted that although there was confusion with regards to the booking that came through one of our partner websites, we were able to resolve this with a wow! Emma, Sana, and Dana are amazing people and service professionals and all are an asset to our team. Dana was actually recently awarded employee of the month and I am so glad she was recognized here too!

Bostonn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

As far as the hotel itself goes, its a head and shoulder above the hotels in the surrounding area, so let me get that out of the way first. The rooms are beatiful, i like the bathroom kit, very good high quality product.

The fitness center has 2 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, and dumbbells up to 50lbs i believe. I've stayed here twice now, first time it was great, second time it sucked.

My latest stay was actually a couple of days ago. I had booked and paid extra for EXECUTIVE LEVEL floors.The night before my arrival, i did the "e-check in ", and i got room 1206 ( on the EXECUTIVE floor). So next day i arrive at the hotel at 3:30pm, and i was greeted by Adrienne ( first let me say there were a total of 5 people checking in, and only Adrienne was at the front desk. Thats not acceptable, you should have at least 2 people at the front desk, considering 3pm is the beginning of check-in time, so its somewhat of a rush hour )

anyways, i was greeted by Adrienne, i told her i checked in room 1206 , and she told me that room is not ready. it was around 3:45ish i believe, and the room that i checked in last night was still not ready? and im a Diamond VIP with hilton...

anyways, stuff like this happens, so i told her she can give me another room... she did, and she gave me room 1106... and note that the 11th floor is NOT an EXECUTIVE floor, even though my reservation was for an EXECUTIVE floor. for those who dont know what EXECUTIVE floor is, i think the main difference is that if your on that floor, you automatically have access to the EXECUTIVE lounge which has refreshments 24/7, and breakfast in the AM, and snacks/desserts in the PM .. But, me being a Hilton Diamon VIP member, i have access to that floor regardless of what floor my room is, so thats why i didnt care what room she gave me...

so i get in the elevator, and tried to swipe my key to go to the EXECUTIVE floor ( you need key card access to get to that floor), but the card reader would not accept my key. i went to my room, and verified that my key was actually working, but the key would not work in the elevator to allow me access to that floor.

so i went back downstairs and stood in line ( there was an older gentleman in front of me). Adrienne asked how she could help me ( because she had just checked me in and i was already back down, so she knew there was a problem), but i told her to take her time and take care of the customer in front of me ..so my turn comes

This is as verbatim as it gets:

Me;Hi you just checked me in, and my card wouldnt give me access to the 12th floor, im a Diamond VIP, so i should have access

her: that card should work

Me: yes i know, but it didnt, can you perhaps give me two new keys?

Her : but that card should work, its a silver card, you should have access

( as if she wasnt understanding what i was saying.. i KNOW it should work, thats why i came down to ask for a new key, but i didnt say that)

Me: i know, but i just tried it, and it didnt work, iots worked for my room, but not to get access to the lounge

her: well the lounge isnt currently open

Me: i know its not, but irregardless, they key should work

her : dont get mad

when she said that, it really upset me... if the manager actually looks at the footage (5/9/12 around 3:30), they will see i was calm and cool and not remotely upset, but for her to say that, that really frustrated me... and this is a poor reflection on the manager IMO...You guys are in a CUSTOMER SERVICE/RELATIONS industry. your only as good as the customer service you provide... i have stayed at over 500 DIFFERENT hotels, and what separates them and make me go back to the same hotel is the level of customer service i recieve... with that being said

1) you NEVER tell a customer to " dont get mad".. even if the customer is YELLING, YOU must keep your composure and work with the customer, not tell him "dont get mad"... for example, if a couple fight and the woman cries, the guy should never say " dont cry", instead he should alleviate the reason she is crying

2) i wasnt even mad, nor did i show any reaction to resemble me being mad... yeah i was a bit frustrated that why she couldnt just attempt to give me 2 new key cards instead of going back and forth with me, so for her to tell me dont get mad when im clearly not mad, that just made me mad

3) She had given me a BS response, now whether she thought i didnt know the INs and Outs, or she really didnt know that the lounge was open 24/7, thats a seperate story... the bottomline is, the lounge is open 24/7 ( yes, the official Breakfast hours are like from 6:30am-9:30-10am, an dthe official afternoon hours d'eouvre is like 5:30 to like 9:30 or something), but the card readers in the elevators arent programmed to know to the time, and not let people up accordingly... which going back to my first point, the lounge is 24/7, so the key should work at any given time, so her excuse to me was lame, and i was responding to her that the time of the day is irrelevant, because my key should still work, and she accused me of getting mad

anyways..

her: dont get mad

Me: im not mad

( she called someone to come help)

her: but your key should work

that was it, that was the last straw.. its like she thought im dumb, i KNOW my card should work, thats why im down there trying to resovle it... and it was the 3rd time she told me the card should work.. i just took my key and walked away.. it wasnt worth it, its beneath me to site here argue about access to a lounge

So i go upstairs, and i see a mechanic follow me, i open my room, and he says " oh ok your key works now?"

im like WTF ? its like Adrienne wasnt listening to a sigle word i was saying, MY KEY DID OPEN MY ROOM, BUT DID NOT ALLOW ME TO GO UPSTAIRS TO THE LOUNGE !!! anyways, i explained to the mechanic that my key works fine for the room, but not to give me access to the lounge

One thing to note is that i really hope she doesnt get in trouble, because i can read by her body language and her tone that she didnt have any bad intent, its not like she was giving me an attitude, or being a jerk to me on purpose, im sure she deep down inside didnt know how her actions were coming off, but i just hope that she realizes that how her actions come off to others.. she was probably thinking she was being helpful, but she just made the situation much worse

i know this was just a lone hiccup, because there were other great friendly staff ( i went down later, and there was a guy Ali Mohsin i believe, he was very helpful), so its not like ima jerk trying to act all dramatic, i understand and appreciate and can differentiate between good customer service and poor customer service..

i did get a voicemail from the manager (Raji i think? ) , he said that i asked to speak with him ? im like WTF? i enevr escalated the situation, like i said, its beneath me to argue about a lounge, and take it to managerial level, so someone had told the manager that I had requested to speak to him? anyways, it was nice of him to call, but unfortunately i felt thee manager coulve gone a step further... for example " hey____, i noticed you had some issues checking in, im gonna have someone bring you up a voucher for ( insert your perk.,.. free meal, free drink, free desert, free coffee) at the hotel restaurant".. even though i wouldve most likely declined that offer, because im not in teh business of starting dramam to get free coupons, but that small gesture wouldve gone a long way in making me leave this issue behind me... but now my view of the Hilton is a bit tarnished...

and you know what the kicker to all of this is? im attaching a pic, of a note on the ELEVATOR that i used to attempt to accces the lounge... and the note says"Key Card Temporary out of service:for access to executive lounge use key card encoder in adjacent elevator".

again, such a simple problem, couldve been handled SOOOOO differently, and we both were right, she was correct in saying the card should work, and i was correct in saying that its not working... but i feel i handled the situation more professionaly than her.

will i stay here again ? maybe...its still high on my list

Room Tip: corner rooms are pretty quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. In the past, we have stayed at the Doubletree JFK, which we have never really enjoyed. This hotel is right across from the Doubletree. Parking is $18/day and is uncovered - we considered leaving our car there but decided to drive down the street to Airpark to save the $25 or so (and because the shuttle to the airport only leaves every 30 minutes). Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about the hotel, as we arrived at around 8pm and left before 5am the next day. But the woman at the check in desk (Tiara) was extremely friendly, the room was very nice and clean, our car was safe overnight (with all of our luggage inside) and we would definitely stay there again the next time we fly out of JFK.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Good Day howdog14,

First, I would like to thank you for your business as I know there are many options for hotels in the area. Secondly, thank you for your kind words regarding our services and offerings. Tiara is wonderful and most certainly respresnts the hotel very well! She is a superstar and I will share your kind words with her and the staff of the hotel.

When your travels bring you back to the area, please reach out to me directly, as I would like to meet you and say thank you again in person.

Paget Parish, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stay at this hotel for one night since our flight had been delayed and we missed our connection. American Airlines gave us a voucher for the night and 3 meals. I was dreading it as airlines always seem to give you the worst motels ever but I was very surprised by this hotel.
It has been recently renovated, staff are very friendly. Rooms were clean - the usual 2 double bed room but everything was new in the room.
The restaurant was great and staff were extremely friendly. food was great as well.
I recommend if you need to stay for a night or two near the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hello PinkSailor!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your pleasant experience with the tripadvisor community. We greatly appreciate the feedback and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay (althought dreaded... dut to the flight delays!).

When your travels bring you back to the NYC area, please come back and stay with us again! We would be delighted to welcome you back!

Best,
Gerald Loughran
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Right in the middle of the night, saved by this hotel and it's fabulous staff. Great rooms

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Ariel N,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel. We are happy to have helped and we welcome you back very soon!

Best,
Gerald Loughran - Assistant General Manager

Been to Hilton New York JFK? Share your experiences!