“Rude staff, uncomfortable beds” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 JFK Airport/Jamaica

You added Super 8 JFK Airport/Jamaica to your Saves list
Super 8 JFK Airport/Jamaica
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   139-01 Jamaica Avenue, 139 St and Jamaica Ave, Jamaica, NY 11435   |
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Jamaica
New York City, New York
“Rude staff, uncomfortable beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

For NYC, this isn't bad. The rooms are cheap (we got it on Priceline for $80/night) and everything is clean and fairly new. The beds are uncomfortable and the shower took some getting used to - it has an odd mechanism for turning the water on. The complimentary breakfast was good, and the free in-room wireless internet and free car parking were nice amenities. We had a small moving truck with us, though, and were told that we could not park the truck in the parking lot.
The worst part of the stay was the hotel staff - they looked in my car and saw that I had a crate on the backseat and insisted that I had a dog in my room and said that there were complaints of a dog. I assured them that I didn't have a dog, but that I had 2 cats in my room which I brought in through the front lobby (there is only one entrance door). Even after telling them this they insisted that I had a dog. The desk clerk brought out the manager who reprimanded me for bringing pets into the hotel. Apparently there is a no pets policy, however, this isn't posted anywhere and wasn't mentioned when I checked in or listed on any of the check-in documents. I found it incredibly rude and invasive of the staff to peer into my car.
The area is OK, there are fast food restaurants and delis within walking distance. The area feels fairly safe for NYC - there are single family homes right behind the hotel. It's in a more residential area which tourists generally don't see when coming to NYC, so some people might not feel safe in the area if you're not used to being in lower-income areas of large cities.
Overall, it's not bad for a night, it's cheap and clean, which is often hard to come by in NYC.

• Liked — clean and cheap
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

The property itself is fine for as short, night stay. The property is clean and functional and has free parking and free breakfast. The staff is friendly so that makes all the difference.

Unfortunately, the property is located in a somewhat 'less-than'desirable' neighbourhood with a lot of people hanging out on the street and on their doorsteps. A few blocks away at the gas station, I was harassed during one visit by two street people asking for money. I had to use my car's panic button on one of them because he was becoming too agressive.

If you want to save money and stay in a decent place, this is it. However, know what that you have to remain very aware of your surroundings once you step outside.

• Liked — The Price
  • Disliked — The accommodations are great...the location is horrible
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glenmont, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

Great hotel. Clean with friendly service- would definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
SAPPORO JPN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

The room was cleaned without fail every day and was comfortable.
Only 4 or 5 years have passed at this hotel since it was constructed still newly.

All staff at the hotel are also friendly & Kindness. I solve at once if there is a question. When I reserved this hotel, the mistake was corrected at once by my confirmation mistake though the number of beds was insufficient. There is subway station(Jamaica-Van Wyck) E-line near this hotel. The steady new elevator is set up at this hotel, it is convenient. I think that this hotel is very profitable.
I do not know the method of searching for such a hotel in Manhattan by the same price. The expression "Impossibility" is exactly suitable for it. I will select even degrees of this hotel how many this ahead.

The selection of this hotel was correct.
"Will this hotel be used next time?"
Answering the question"Of course"

• Liked — Breakfast service & Meeting and sending off of shuttle bus
  • Disliked — Convenience of shower
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lethbridge, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

Stayed one night before an early morning flight to Calgary. Origionally planned to stay six nights, but the Super 8 Times Square price dropped, so I stayed there for five nights instead.

It is a five minute walk from the Jamaica Van Wyck E subway station. We arrived in the middle of a major snow storm that made the walk with luggage very difficult.

Hotel staff was friendly, and check in took a couple of minutes. Hotel is fairly new and the rooms were a little smaller than I am used to but this is New York.

There is a Wendy's, Mcdonalds and a Chinese Restaraunt close to the hotel. We took a bus to downtown Jamaica and had supper at White Castle. Several buses stop right in front of the hotel.

Left at 5:30 in the morning, so can't comment on the breakfast.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. It is about a 25 minute subway ride to Manhatten. It was only $69 a night, while I paid $119 for the Super 8 Times Square. If I didn't have my 75 year old Mother with me, I would have stayed here for more days.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we were passing through and I'm so glad it was only for that one night. The neighbouhood is really shady and didn't feel so safe, I kept checking out the window to make sure my car was still okay parked on the street. The area is also very noisy so a good night's sleep did not happen. The room was tiny, had a horrible odor and the "closet" stank of mothballs. The beds were very uncomfortable and I had a spring in my back the whole night. The continental breakfast included undercooked waffles, coffee, juice and rock hard donuts, needless to say we ate breakfast again when we left. The only good thing I can say is that it was a roof over our heads and it was cheap. Every other hotel was booked for the night so we couldn't go anywhere else but if you don't have to stay here DON'T, there is a good reason why this hotel is so cheap compared to others.

• Liked — It wasn't a park bench
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mass
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

There were so many problems,I don't know where to start.The didn't give me a wake up call,the shower didn't work,the sink had no stopper,the toilet seat was falling off,the toilet paper dispenser was missing,they closed the continental breakfast early,they charged me for 2 rooms instead off one.Avoid this one.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — checking in
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 JFK Airport/Jamaica? Share your experiences!