“Good value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Jamaica
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

When we arrived we had an issue with getting on the shuttle for the Sleep Inn Jamaica, not the one we were booked into on Rockaway Blvd. We were less than thrilled with the original hotel or shuttle service (didn't drop of at the terminal, closed between 1-3) but quite relieved when we got to the correct hotel. That seems to be a common problem. Interestingly, a few reviews here were actually for the other hotel! The shuttle service was fabulous, ready whenever we needed it and the hotel is barely 10 minutes from the airport. The bus stopped right outside the hotel and took us to the subway which took us into Manhatten. If you are a nervous nellie you might not want to be here, it is a bit of a run down neighbourhood but we found it to be just fine for us. The breakfast was adequate, of good quality and well maintained. The room was small but spotless and well decorated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They let us have a late check out because our plane didn't leave until late afternoon. I highly recommend this hotel, just be careful not to get on the wrong shuttle like we did. Look for the term Rockaway Blvd. on the side of the van.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Clean and still nice since pretty new. Rooms are small, but we just slept there between flights. Shuttle was perfect. Hotel arranged a ride for us into Manhattan. Car service so much better than taxi for same price. We didn't eat breakfast but some items were available.
All the hotels near JFK are pricey so this is a clean comfortable choice with reliable shuttle.

• Stayed June 2013
Prattville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have to say that this hotel exceeded my expectations for the price point. The hallway carpets are a bit stained, but I felt confident that my room was clean, so that's all that mattered to me. The hotel rooms are very tight space-wise, but very well decorated, comfortable, and clean. The TV is nice because it comes with tons of free movies of all genres. Also, there's a mini-fridge, and that was perfect for me as my husband and I were traveling with our toddler. The linens/towels are not perfectly white, but they are clean despite minor stains. They probably just don't bleach/get rid of worn linens as often as more highly priced chains. The staff is very nice and accomodating. When I mentioned the stained linens they promptly replaced them. The breakfast is good: waffles, hot breakfast meats and eggs, boiled eggs, muffins, danishes, toast, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, and fresh fruit. It's plentiful too. The location is not very aesthetically pleasing, but I didn't feel unsafe. (I also was not out walking either, so maybe that's another reason I didn't feel unsafe.) Burger King and 7Eleven are within a safe walking distance.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view of the parking lot and surrounding neighborhood (family homes)...I'd ch...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Prescott, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Staff was very nice and room was comfortable but this hotel is located in a VERY unsafe neighborhood. When we arrived at the property, there was a group loitering around the property that appeared to be checking out all of the arriving guests for unsavory purposes. Some from that group actually entered the hotel while were were checking in without any protest from the staff. Unless this hotel starts providing strong security I would highly recommend staying elsewhere even if the price is higher. It would be worth the peace of mind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed over-night at Sleep Inn the night before my flight from JFK. The room was very clean and nice. It's a nice business hotel in my opinion. Free wifi connection in the rooms is a plus.
Would recommend for short stays. The neighborhood isn't so safe though at night, so won't recommend being out at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights due to its close proximity To JFK. Room was clean and modern and the staff were really friendly. The shuttle was both efficient and quick... and I had to use it four times for flights in and out of JFK while I was staying there and never had any problems. please note: you need to phone the hotel from AirTrain at Federal Circle to order the shuttle so keep some quarters in your pocket so you can use the pay phone (this hotel isn't on the hotel phone list that is available at FC). Yes the area isn't flash but I felt perfectly safe walking the 2mins to burger king to get dinner on my first night. (It was still light outside though). I would definitely stay here again if the need arose.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I REALLY wanted to give this hotel more stars. I really did. The staff were all very friendly, and that is a huge plus for me when traveling. However, two factors that were completely out of the hotel staff's control serve to drop down the rating 2 stars. If I could, I would have given this location a 3.5 stars.

Pros:
- As mentioned already, the staff were great. Friendly, helpful. A definite plus.
- Location is close to JFK, and 24 hour shuttle.
- Though the outside isn't too pretty, the inside of the rooms are well done. It looks as though it were recently renovated, and is above Sleep Inn standards.
- Continental breakfast had hot (eggs, bacon, waffle maker) and cold (yogurt, cereal, bananas) options that were fresh.
- Free, relatively speedy Wi-Fi.

Cons:
- My girlfriend and I happened to be traveling to the area via Sutphin Boulevard at approximately 9:30PM on May 18, 2013. Now you might ask why oh why does that matter? Well...: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/14-year-old-girl-shot-killed-riding-bus-queens-article-1.1348236
- Sound insulation! Get some! If the walls are so thin that I can hear my neighbor sneeze, then I have a problem. Bring ear plugs if you want a good night's sleep.

So how do I do the math here? 5 stars for the people working plus the hotel rooms itself. Minus a few stars for the fact that we passed by an active crime scene investigation on the way to the hotel (it was about a 3 minute drive to where the shooting occurred), and the thin walls. Sounds about right.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn JFK Airport Rockaway Blvd? Share your experiences!