“Kind of dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 26 hotels in Jamaica
San Francisco
“Kind of dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

Cost 100 per night - stayed 1 night during layover.
In not so great an area. Not much nearby but a burger king.
Front doors to entry lobby were broken, and look like they've been that way for years.
The hallway walls were dirty and the carpet was disgusting.
Inside the room, the bed was okay, not too bad actually.
Old furnishings, big tube TV, dated bathrooms.
I would rate this a 1.5 star, but only because I didn't see any roaches and the bed was ok.
If anybody tries to rate this place as "great" or "wonderful" they are lying. I've stayed in worse, but that was only in Turkey!
Based on the accomodations, this hotel should have only cost $60 per night. Hopefully they will do some remodeling.
Thanks

• Stayed May 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

I stayed at the Howard Johnson Express Inn, in Jamaica Queens, NY. It was very close to JFK Airport. I'm from NY, so I felt comfortable about the area. But it's a little inner city, urban.

The rate was $90.00 per night which was good for NY. But the hotel was in a 2 fare zone. You need to take a bus to the train, about 20 minutes. I has appt's in the city, so it was an issue for me. Also the hotel was a bit run down, it needs painting and new carpeting. No real good food nearby, just fast food.

The room was o.k, but the bathroom had some mold in the shower. They offer free breakfast and wireless internet, that's why I chose to stay there. Overall, I suppose it was good for the $$. But if you are expecting a really nice place, you could stay in NYC for about 25 more per night. I went el cheapo, and all I really need is a bed and a shower. But when I saw HoJo's, I thought it would be nicer.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — 2 fare zone, needed to take a bus to the train.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boise
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

Booked this hotel for overnight stay prior to flying to Europe and on return trip from Europe before flying home. As already stated in other reviews it looked like the best deal going for lodging near JFK offering a shuttle and thought we could survive for a night. It's in a less than desirable part of the city. Didn't feel like getting very far away from facility even to Burger King next door. Room had king size bed which was nice and appeared to be fairly clean. Window from room looked out on dirty street and sidewalk. Two fire alarms went off during the night but were quickly shut off. Some problem with the system. Breakfast consisted of waffle, toast, and/or cereal plus juice or coffee. Skeptical as to how clean everthing in breakfast area was. We were suppose to stay at this hotel on our return trip but my wife easily convinced me to spend a little extra money for a more desirable hotel. Stayed at the Ramada Plaza very near airport on our return for an extra $30 a night as a result of a special negoiated rate. Well worth it!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — location - bad part of city
  • Tips/Secrets — be certain you've reviewed all sources before selecting hotel - don't base choice soley on rice
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

I had a layover at JFK and had to stay overnight somewhere so I picked this hotel thinking it was close, rooms would be clean and there would be a modest breakfast in the morning.

I never connected with the airport shuttle so I ended up taking a taxi to the hotel ($15). Once I got there, the receptionist was clearly overwhelmed with the three parties that arrived at the same time as well as other guests that had questions for him. While I waited for my turn, I could see a memo on the wall that forbids any employees from coming to the property while off duty or the owner will call police. Ok, so what in the world is that all about? Theft?

My room was on the main floor, next to the icemaker. You could hear people walking by and using the ice machine at all hours of the night. I was told that the hotel was sold out so there was no possibility of changing rooms.

The room itself was dirty, dingy and disgusting. The carpet had major stains on it, the toilet bowl leaked to the bathroom floor when you flushed it and the entire room stunk like a sewer. The linens were dirty and while I ended up sleeping with my regular clothes on top of the covers, I managed to get flee (?) bites on my ankles.

I had been told over the phone that breakfast started at 6.00am. This was one of the reasons I booked this hotel because I needed to leave to the airport before 7am. Breakfast didn't materialize until close to seven and it was nothing I wanted to put in my mouth anyway. The only bright spot of my stay was the shuttle back, which was on time.

I will never stay in this hotel again - I have stayed in better hotels in rural China for gods sake. I would honestly rather sleep at the airport in uncomfortable but clean lounge chairs than trek back to this seedy neighborhood and overpay for a dingy, smelly room.

• Liked — location to airport
  • Disliked — hotel itself
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for something different
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

The only good point about this hotel was its price. The rooms are small, the beds are small, the lobby and hallways are very noisy at any hour. The neighborhood is not so great, and the hotel is hard to get to (unless you get the airport shuttle). Our cabbie from Penn Sta did not know how to get there. The housekeeping service barely did anything to the room aside from provide new towels. There is no clock, the phones have to be manually turned on at the front desk upon request. It was nearly impossible to find available and reachable outlets, most room lights were faulty and some weren't even plugged in at all. The breakfast is passable but no better than any other barely decent hotel these days.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to be creative/spendy on getting to and from.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

This is the worse hotel ever. The rooms are extremely small and the beds are full size not queen and 2 are put in the small rooms. the decor is old and seedy. this is not a family hotel. It looks like Howard Johnson took over a hourly hotel, just put their name on it and did no remodeling. I would hate to see what a black light would show on the beds, floors or walls. It is not a pleasant place to stay and I do not recommend it. Hotel and all travel websites should remove this hotel from their sites.

• Stayed July 2006
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

Rooms, fine. Beds, fine. Staff, fine.... People breaking into our rooms, not fine. They managed to get into our room, if the chain hadn't been on they would have just walked in. The area is very threatening and we paid an obscene amount of money to get a bus to JFK and a taxi back to the hotel just so we didn't have to ride the subway in the area at night. We arrived before check in and wanted to go to Manhattan, they didn't have a luggage room for us and the "bell boy" explained to us in broken English that the cleaning room he had stored our bags in was going to be open all day so we could just help ourselves. Great security!!! We are a group of 4 adults and we travelled the whole width of America on this trip and we never encountered anything else like it. It is very loosely described as an airport hotel as it isnt very close to JFK. Pay the extra money to stay at one of the closer ones for a decent nights sleep and peace of mind!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Jamaica JFK Airport? Share your experiences!