“would not recommend” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Jamaica
San Fernando, Trinidad
“would not recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here because of a long layover at JFK. When we arrived the lobby was nothing to talk about. Just a corridor with a counter. In fact the receptionist was behind a security glass, this probably should have raised a red flag to us. My business associate and I couldn't get separate rooms because they said the hotel was fully booked. In fact everything around the airport was fully booked. We however got a room with two double beds so at least we didn't have to share a bed. In order to split the cost of the room we asked if we could charge half the cost of the room to one credit card and the other half to another. The receptionist said yes. She swiped my card first and when my associate gave the receptionist her card, the receptionist said she charged everything to my card already. Then she said she can't split the charge on two cards. Really? So why tell us you could?
Anyway, we checked in and then had to ASK for directions to our room. Noone volunteered to show us to our rooms or help with our luggage. We had to haul it DOWN some stairs (sorry for the disabled) and then to the elevator. The carpet on the corridor to our room was dingy to say the least and our room smelt musty and smoky (it was supposed to be in a non-smoking section). Further more there was only 1 bathtowel and we had to call for another.
We were relieved to check out early at 5am for our 7am connecting flight to Pittsburgh. So we missed getting the complimentary breakfast. But I think I would have passed anyway since the breakfast area was sticky and looked dirty. Thank goodness the hotel in Pittsburgh was the total opposite. I stayed at Hampton Inn and they gave me a breakfast "to-go" bag when I had to check out early (even though the breakfast buffet didn't start as yet) and the staff there was more than accommodating.
Think we probably would have had a better experience overnighting in the airport terminal!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Had to spend a couple of days near JFK. Rates were good but I've learnt the hard way if your going to stay in NY pay a little more.
One nite is more than enough terrible area only a burgerking and 7 11 close by but don't roam around at nite.
However although a bit shabby it has all amenities big box TV with fox a.c. heater fridge ironing board ice machine and fast free wifi so I was able to entertain myself.
Coffee was ok and room was clean staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We ended up staying at this hotel for one night after our connecting flight home was cancelled and we were stuck in NY. We were there for less than 24 hours and we ended up leaving early for the airport in the morning just so we could get out of the hotel. Our room had a "No Smoking" sign on the door but the room smelled so horribly of smoke. The hotel was noisy at all hours of the night. When I tried to call the front desk in the morning (a couple different times) to change our shuttle pick up time, no one answered the call.

Note: as another review mentioned, you have to bring your luggage down a flight of stairs and down a hallway before you get to the elevator.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was very skeptical about what to expect because the HJ is located in a small congested area between warehouses and the back or cargo side of JFK. I had prepared my mind for not the best conditions and that I would have to endure it for the two days that I would be there for. But to my surprise it was nothing I had imagined. The front desk was friendly and helpful and allowed to checking a bit earlier (I'm sorry I forgot her name). I was a bit worried when I was told that the only room available at the time was on the first floor (basement) but it was the best thing for me. My room had laminated wood flooring which is practical and gives a sense of cleanliness. I was comfortable in room 107 with a king size bed and fridge. Its a small room but with enough space to not bump into the furniture as you move around the room. Nice and clean breakfast area.

As with everything there are drawbacks, the front entrances isn't very accessible by car like I said its a cramp space only a few cars can park in the front, like four with the shuttle van. Talking about the shuttle its only to JFK not LGA which was disappointing. Back to the parking, there is additional parking in the back but then you have to walk around the building and I'm not sure how safe it is. Or on the other hand, you can just park in the street after all it NY and thats where you park. But make sure you're on the right side for street sweeping days or you will get a ticket and an orange sticker on your driver side window. The other thing was the breakfast area is adjacent to room 107 and if you're not an early riser like 6am then you will have a horrible start of the day because breakfast was from 6am - 10am. There is a lot of noise from everyone getting breakfast and talking and pulling chairs in and out. I was pleasantly surprise that there was continental breakfast but also disappointed with the limited options and no meat kind or eggs or yogurt. It was cold or hot cereal, bread, bagel, mini muffins or make your own waffle with the usual condiments with tea or coffee.

Room Tip: Room 107 is adjacent to the breakfast area and its very noisy from 6am - 10am