“Great Hotel but not environmentaly sound” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 10% Off
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in Jamaica
Brampton, Canada
“Great Hotel but not environmentaly sound”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This the second time I have used this Hotel chain. Great location. great bed and connected to the Hitton via a walk way. We used the Hilton reastaurant and gift shop (because I forgot some essential things when packing).
What I did not like was that all of the plates, bowls, glasses and cutlery for breakfast are disposable. That is a lot of garbage.
The hot breakfast is weak. If you are happy with ceral, juice, and yogurt you will be fine
If you have never flown into JFK, you take the Airtrain to Federal Circle and call the hotel to be picked up

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff D, General Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Greetings -
Thank you for your business and thank you for sharing your comments with our TripAdvisor community!
So many of us, as individuals, believe just as you do. There is so much waste that not only impacts the environment, but also translates into higher costs for the consumer.
As a hotel that is associated with a quality brand such as Hampton Inn, the management and ownership needs to adhere to strick standards, for consistency and continunity of the brand.
We believe in the brand and have much confidence that a more "earth friendly" method will eventually emerge, however; achieving consistency and continunity among over 1,000 successful hotels will take time.

891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice place for a overnight stay. Transfer to Jfk was quick and painless :) got stuck in new york because of the airlines. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Even though the gift shop was closed every time we tried to purchase a shirt for the morning because our luggage was in airport land.

• Stayed January 2013
Greetings -
Many thanks for your business, even if it was only "by chance".
When we recieve comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff, we are very excited to pass those comments on to our "moment makers", which translates into better and better guest experiences......so we thank you!
We have made special note of your disappointment with the Gift shop hours of operation for the hotel attached to our property and will pass your comments along to the responsible parties, hopefully resulting in better experiences for future guests.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Was there in on route back home via New York. Beds are comfy. Rooms clean but lighting on the dim side. Breakfast is usual but spread is reasonable and quickly replenished - the morning crowd was brisk. The airport transfer between hotel and JFK is good. On arrival the pick up is at the Air Train's Federal Circle stop. For departure, the transfer dropped us at the right terminal. They arranged a cab for a night out for us very quickly at the front desk. Only hiccup for us was the room keys were not responsive for the rooms we got and had to be re-programmed. Overall good value and convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jeff D, General Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Greetings -
Thank you for your business and thank you for sharing your experience at the Hampton Inn NY-JFK with out TripAdvisor community. Your detail regarding our shuttle service will be of assistance to the TripAdvisor readership, I am sure.
Thank you for noticing and pointing out the friendliness, and efficiency of our breakfast staff and the accommodating nature of our front desk staff.
We apologize for the inconvenience of the room keys; your comments lead us to an investigation which resulted in the replacement of a key encoder. This will assist the hotel team with delivering a more excellent stay for future guests.
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent one brief evening here before an early morning flight. Friendly front desk staff, large quiet room. We dined in the surprisingly busy restaurant at the adjacent Hilton (entered through a connecting indoor passageway) and the food, though a tad pricey, was pretty good for an airport hotel. Friendly service in the restaurant, too. In addition to the usual Hampton Inn breakfast, we noticed pre-bagged to-go breakfasts at the front desk, a good idea. The only negative was a nail-biting wait (in 14-degree weather) for the 6:30 a.m. shuttle, since we were concerned about our flight check-in, and then there was quite a lot of traffic, but in the end we made it okay.

Room Tip: Don't worry about noise from the airport; the rooms are well soundproofed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
A TOP CONTRIBUTOR......congratulations!!
We thank you for your business and for your generous comments about the friendliness of our team members and the efficiency of our airport shuttle service.
The team of hospitality professionals at the Hampton Inn NY-JFK strive to make each guest feel comfortable and welcome and we are always pleased to hear when we meet and/or exceed expectations however; when a Top Contributor leaves with such a good impression.....well, that truly makes our day!
LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife, infant son and I stayed here for one night to have plenty of time to catch an international flight at JFK scheduled for the next day. Once we arrived at JFK, we had to walk outside in the cold to a separate building that has creepy (lots of vagrants aboard) train service to the hotel shuttle area. The hotel shuttle pick up area turned out to be a dinky street corner to wait for the buses. After waiting about 30 minutes or so, the hotel shuttle finally arrived, and even though it was bitterly cold outside, the driver left the door locked until he finished loading all of the luggage. Is the crime really that bad that you have to inconvenience the guests?? The inside of the bus smelled like mold and mildew, and it looked like the seats had never been cleaned. Once we arrived at the hotel, and entered the room, I noticed a musty smell, and a yellow post it note attached to the headboard on the bed. On the post it note, it read, "The Duvet sheet has been washed for your convenience". Geesh! What an honor! A hotel has washed the sheets for me! I'm so spoiled to have clean sheets to sleep on!
After seeing this note, I made a mental note NOT to leave any tip. The next morning, I went to the breakfast area, and it was extremely crowded with no place to sit. The food looked disgusting. They were serving slimy scrambled eggs mixed with greasy kielbasa sausage, and sugary colored water as juice. All of the breakfast utensils were covered in crud from others leaving the handle in the food dispensers, so I had to use a towel to protect my hand. I momentarily put the town down to get some waffles, and the maid yelled at me, "Don't you leave that towel there, you're supposed to clean up after yourself"!!! I've been staying at hotels all around the world for many years, and I have to admit that I've never had a maid yell at me. I finally found an open table, to sit down and try to have a peaceful breakfast with my wife, but the maid came back at me yelling again. This time she said, "Don't you leave behind any trash on your table, you have to clean that up yourself"! I was like, wow, give me a break, I'm not even done eating yet! Needless to say, on our return flight back to the states, we intentionally picked another hotel that was 20 miles away from the airport, and will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ana Z, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Freedrack,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We completely understand how frustrating it can be when things seem to be going wrong. But we would like you to know that we are taking care of even the smallest of things and improving them to the fullest extent. Eventhough we can't control things that are mandatory such as the pick-up stop for travellers since it is influence directly by Port Authority. I'm also sorry that you didn't like our printed post its, they are actually a standard for Hamptons since we are one of the few brands that wash all the bedding such as our comforters after evey stay. I hope you can give us another chance to show how much we care about all our guest as we look forward to improve in every aspect. And please remember you can always contact us if you would like to further discuss this matter.

Ana Z.
Your friend at the Hampton in JFK
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel is great for business travelers or people who are overnighting that need to be close to JFK airport. If you have an extremely early flight or are doing business and need to be close to the airport, this is a good affordable option. The hotel was nicer than I expected a Hampton Inn to be. My only issue was that I was in a handicapped room so the shower was open for wheelchair access and the water didn't drain properly so water spread all over the bathroom floor (room 117). I would think this could even be an issue for those who are handicapped (slipping?). They should look into getting the drainage and slopage of the room to work better so that there isn't a build up of water. Other than that, the hotel was acceptable. There is also a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if airport view exists (not what I had), but if it does I think it would be a cool...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Suela K, Communications Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear WorldieTravels,
We thank you for the feedback and the excellent comments on our property. I have notified my engineer in looking into the issue and taking steps to resolve it. I am happy that you were able to utilize the shuttle and found it convenient, our shuttle is available 24 hours a day. We look forward in having you again.

Suela Kacani
suela.kacani@hilton.com
Randburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Shuttle waiting when arrived at JFK. Driver very helpful with baggage and the staff at front desk were very friendly and helpful with what I needed. Room superb and bed amazingly comfortable - didn't want to get up for my flight home the next morning. Thank you for a pleasing breakfast.. Will definitely stay again when passing through NY

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ingrid J,
I am pleased to see that you had a fantastic experience at our hotel. Our dedicated team take pride in what they do every single day in making sure our guests enjoy their stay with us. What we strive for every day is being recognized, friendly and accommodating staff, comfortable and clean beds, relaxing facilities, healthy breakfast and more. I am thrilled to see that you were able to experience all the above services and amenities we offer. Look forward to seeing you again.

Many thanks,
Suela Kacani
suela.kacani@hilton.com

Been to Hampton Inn NY - JFK? Share your experiences!