“Very good although others have been critical” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Jamaica
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Very good although others have been critical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have to say - as fussy and critical as I can be - this hotel has personality! Their shuttle service from Federal Circle station on the free Skytrain system is excellent! I had thought about a fitness stint, walking to the hotel but was glad I gave up on that idea!! While possible in theory, the extreme freeway traffic in all directions, and fumes are potentially fatal!!

Many of the hotel staff are black or hispanic and this adds a real dimension of fun to the place. I loved it, my Polynesian roots feeling at home instantly! So, the decor might do with a bit of a touch up but all in all, the place sings! I think the term is "sassy".

I had a room on the 14th floor and felt at home. So, the designer in me had a few ideas but, they are not paying me for that so, I made do with what I had!

Also, as a Marriott Rewards member, I got a bonus 500 points and a personal message from the manager. That's appreciation and I noticed!! So often, loyalty means a big ZIP, lip service and fantasy in the eyes of the "givers".

I also ate in the restaurant. Good grilled fish and vegetables with a kilojoule hit of warm, liquid chocolate cake and ice cream. I'm admitting it here: the description got me hooked but a good brisk walk for 90 minutes in the cool air will compensate!!!

Look... NYC is a great place but it ain't cheap. You want to pay more? Sure... Go for it... But, this place has earned a little spot in my heart. That's rare enough and worth a Gold Star!!! Try it.

Room Tip: I was amazed at the freeway traffic, so amazed I took a video!! So... Get a freeway view room!!!! Yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott JFK International Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences in our hotel. I was pleased to see that you identified with our "personality" - as you point out a wonderful outgrowth of the diverse backgrounds that we all bring to the team. The team and I are glad you felt at home! I will also share your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant. They will be happy to hear you enjoyed the grilled fish dish. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at JFK. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in the NYC/JFK vicinity!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Forest Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012 for a business trip and this is the best hotel in the area. The staff is great, the food is wonderful and the property is nice and clean. I would reccomend this to anyone having to travel to the JFK area on business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you jspair for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We were pleased to welcome you back! I have shared your comments with our team, so they can be as proud to read them as I was. We greatly appreciate your recommendation as well, word of mouth from our many satisfied and repeat guests is the best from of advertising we have. We are always proud when we hear we've achieved our goal of being the best we can be! Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the NYC-JFK vicinity.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Airport hotels are often in the middle of nowhere and lack character. The Courtyard is 10 minutes by the excellent shuttle to JFK, but best entered late at night as there is nothing to see or do in the near area unless you have transport.
The hotel rooms are dated but reasonably sized. There is a bar / restaurant which has a limited menu. My wife's salmon had to be sent back as it was still cold in the middle, so I suspect that the microwave is the order of the day.
Staff are very good and friendly, and as the rest of the JFK hotels seem to be of similar quality, it is as good a place to rest as any.

Room Tip: arrive late and eat before you get there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have (unfortunately) had to stay at JFK airports due to missed connecting flights which do not leave me enough time to go into Manhattan and stay in a real hotel. (So near and yet so far. Anyone who knows NYC knows that the trip from JFK can be a nightmare,) It was with much dread that I booked a last minute stay at the Courtyard. In fact, I had stayed here several years ago and would not have lasted the night had it not been for an ample supply of Ambien. It was with much surprise that I entered a room that was completely updated, with an amazing bed and a fully furnished and lavish bathroom. I even had a robe and slippers. This is nothing like any other Courtyard. It is really like a full service Marriott - and a nice one at that. The lobby is dinky, but the staff at the front desk are amazingly helpful which more than makes up for the wafting smell of burgers. The rooms are soundproof, not only against the planes but against the other guests (who, in my experience, have a habit of slamming doors at all hours.) Marriott sent me a review to do after my stay and I received a personal email from the housekeeping manager asking why I only rated the bathroom a 7 out of 10. (Answer: I just returned from the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas. The most absurd bathroom ever. Check it out for yourself.) This hotel is $20 more than the other airport hotels. Pay it. Trust me.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Lee Vining, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott on our way to Africa from California, and again on our way back (July/August 2012.) During both stays the staff was amazingly helpful and gracious. We felt like we were at a five star hotel, even though the hotel is a nice but fairly basic location with all you need but nothing extra. What makes it a great choice when staying near JFK is that the staff goes out of their way to assist. We had an extra day on the way home, and decided to go into Manhattan. The desk staff at the Marriott located maps for us, and the hotel shuttle took us back to the airport to the train into the city, then picked us up again at the end of the day. The morning of our departure, we missed the shuttle to the airport and they made a special run for us so that we wouldn't be late for check-in. We will stay again if we need a hotel near JFK.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The classic JFK situation. Your flight is cancelled for weather or you must can't afford being too far away from the airport, well here is one of your options. Somehow, if you Google it, it pops strong at the top and displays the fact it is highly promoted.
For the right reasons?
Not quite sure. The late check-in was flawless but the staff wasn’t friendly and the receptionist’s mood was close to mine after my long aircraft trip. The place is functional but really overprice for what you get.
The room was good but nothing above the top. The bathroom was not working well. I ended up with a swimming pool since the open floor bath area of the shower (they removed the bath tub and made it a big open shower) wasn't flowing correctly. Nice while you are in the shower, but sucks after wards when you try to get dry. (or not get wet again if you get back in the bathroom, like in the middle of the night when the water on the ground is cold). The tap at the sink was working, but only for hot water. So, brushing your teeth with chlorine soup is not quite enjoyable at all. At least, there was hot water!

So, being located in a not really clean/safe area, overpriced for the service level you get, average staff with average consideration of their customer needs, I would call it a pass for next time. But aren't all airport hotel like that? Dunno. This one is!

Room Tip: Make sure you have checked the other hotels before moving there...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff is outstanding; they are pleasant, customer oriented and knowledgeable. Our suite was first rate with nice amenities and it was spotless.
This would be my first choice when having to suffer through JFK Airport's dirt and disorder. It is a welcome oasis.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott JFK International Airport? Share your experiences!