“What A Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Jamaica
Miami Beach, Florida
“What A Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have (unfortunately) had to stay at JFK airports due to missed connecting flights which do not leave me enough time to go into Manhattan and stay in a real hotel. (So near and yet so far. Anyone who knows NYC knows that the trip from JFK can be a nightmare,) It was with much dread that I booked a last minute stay at the Courtyard. In fact, I had stayed here several years ago and would not have lasted the night had it not been for an ample supply of Ambien. It was with much surprise that I entered a room that was completely updated, with an amazing bed and a fully furnished and lavish bathroom. I even had a robe and slippers. This is nothing like any other Courtyard. It is really like a full service Marriott - and a nice one at that. The lobby is dinky, but the staff at the front desk are amazingly helpful which more than makes up for the wafting smell of burgers. The rooms are soundproof, not only against the planes but against the other guests (who, in my experience, have a habit of slamming doors at all hours.) Marriott sent me a review to do after my stay and I received a personal email from the housekeeping manager asking why I only rated the bathroom a 7 out of 10. (Answer: I just returned from the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas. The most absurd bathroom ever. Check it out for yourself.) This hotel is $20 more than the other airport hotels. Pay it. Trust me.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lee Vining, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott on our way to Africa from California, and again on our way back (July/August 2012.) During both stays the staff was amazingly helpful and gracious. We felt like we were at a five star hotel, even though the hotel is a nice but fairly basic location with all you need but nothing extra. What makes it a great choice when staying near JFK is that the staff goes out of their way to assist. We had an extra day on the way home, and decided to go into Manhattan. The desk staff at the Marriott located maps for us, and the hotel shuttle took us back to the airport to the train into the city, then picked us up again at the end of the day. The morning of our departure, we missed the shuttle to the airport and they made a special run for us so that we wouldn't be late for check-in. We will stay again if we need a hotel near JFK.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The classic JFK situation. Your flight is cancelled for weather or you must can't afford being too far away from the airport, well here is one of your options. Somehow, if you Google it, it pops strong at the top and displays the fact it is highly promoted.
For the right reasons?
Not quite sure. The late check-in was flawless but the staff wasn’t friendly and the receptionist’s mood was close to mine after my long aircraft trip. The place is functional but really overprice for what you get.
The room was good but nothing above the top. The bathroom was not working well. I ended up with a swimming pool since the open floor bath area of the shower (they removed the bath tub and made it a big open shower) wasn't flowing correctly. Nice while you are in the shower, but sucks after wards when you try to get dry. (or not get wet again if you get back in the bathroom, like in the middle of the night when the water on the ground is cold). The tap at the sink was working, but only for hot water. So, brushing your teeth with chlorine soup is not quite enjoyable at all. At least, there was hot water!

So, being located in a not really clean/safe area, overpriced for the service level you get, average staff with average consideration of their customer needs, I would call it a pass for next time. But aren't all airport hotel like that? Dunno. This one is!

Room Tip: Make sure you have checked the other hotels before moving there...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

The staff is outstanding; they are pleasant, customer oriented and knowledgeable. Our suite was first rate with nice amenities and it was spotless.
This would be my first choice when having to suffer through JFK Airport's dirt and disorder. It is a welcome oasis.

• Stayed September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I chose this hotel because the description said it is 10 minutes from JFK and it is.
I was mailed ahead of my arrival by the hotel staff to explain exactly how to get to the shuttle bus which was really helpful....and I didn't even ask them to.
It did take 20 minutes for the bus to arrive so if you want to get there quickly from baggage claim get a cab.

The hotel is a little jaded in some areas but the room was clean and comfortable with a shower and a bath tub. I was also given two bottles of water only arrival and within 10 minutes of getting to my room was called by reception to check I had everything I needed.

It has a 24 hr Starbucks in reception and a small efficient restaurant with lovely staff.

This a really practical hotel without any pretentious of being anything other than a solid airport hotel. The staff make it a good place to be especially as I was travelling alone.

Why did I not rate this as a 5...the lift was slightly grubby and I did not get my 5am alarm call.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I needed a place to stay for a 24-hour layover. this hotel was close and it had shuttle service to my terminal. The room was ample and the bathroom had nice amenities, but I should deduct a star because it did not have shower gel which I like for a bubble bath. The bath did have the option of the tub, a rain shower head or a hand-held shower head. The restaurant had good food and I enjoyed breakfast. Checking in and out was quick. A good place to stay when you are tired from traveling and don't need more hassles.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
USA
1,197 helpful votes 1,197 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is just ok to sleep over. Nothing to really say other then it is a back-up sleep-over if you get stuck at jfk airport for what ever reason. The staff a good and place is clean. There is no view points at this hotel nor any places to visit nor see. The food is very average so you can at least have something to eat!! Remember this, that when you get stuck at most airport, be happy that you can find a bed to sleep in!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott JFK International Airport? Share your experiences!