“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151-20 Baisley Boulevard, Jamaica, NY 11434   |
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Jamaica
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Traveling to NY is always a journey but it's where all my family lives. Took a last minute trip to NYC the first week of December ABD stayed at this hotel. Although I booked the trip on Orbitz for a queen suite, I called the hotel prior to booking to make sure there would be enough room. They confirmed. I didn't realize I needed to ask for an actual bedroom. So,lets start with the pros. Staff was very accommodating. Gave me early for check in. I had a bathroom with two sinks. Street parking was good.. No valet. The heat was great. Now the cons,I prepaid for the room, so when I walked in the room and didn't see the sleeper sofa, I was confused. I was told I could get a cot instead. Secondly the suite had no bedroom. There is a little cove with no doors for privacy! I felt disappointed. The continental breakfast was a bare minimum. No room service. The bed was pretty hard too. Now that I know what to expect, I wouldn't stay there again, unless necessary.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As we arrived to JFK in the late evening (even later due to delay of the flight) we stayed at this hotel for one night. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and recieved a wamr welcome by the friendly staff. The registration was quick and we did get our room quite fast. The rooms are nothing spectacular but you do get a nice sleep there. The breakfast was the perfect introduction to American cuisine with waffels, bagels and others. As we were heading back to the aiport the morning after to pick up our rental-car we used the free shuttleservice provided by the hotel. A perfect service as it stopped at varios terminals and the car-rental area at the aiport.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Check in: Slow, seemingly there were so many steps that the front desk had to, but she was nice.

Bathroom: Toilet seat & lid were up but bathroom looked clean.

Bed: There was 2 long and 1 short strand of hair on the thin sheet. There was a smear of something brown. I was too tired and had had slept on a worst bed, so I flicked off the hair and slept with my clothes on.

Check out: Two employees in black attire were chatting loudly with the front desk. They were talking about the flavors of M&m's (no kidding). At 6am, this was a little too much noise. The front desk was quick to interrupt the conversation when a guest needed help though.

Shuttle: Nice, pleasant driver. He dropped me off right at the terminal.

• Stayed December 2014
Hornell, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

We missed our connecting flight at JFK because of poor weather and needed a place to stay for the night. We chose this hotel because of the affordable price, and not being too picky, we weren't expecting much. We were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. The hotel has a free shuttle that took us to and from the airport, the hotel itself was clean and decorated nicely, and the front desk staff were very polite and nice. Our room was clean and quiet and our bed was comfy. It was very relaxing after our stressful travel day. They also offered a free breakfast downstairs starting at 6am, but we had to leave before then. I would recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

The young lady at the front desk was very polite and helpful. We had two rooms reserved and requested they be together and they were. The hotel seems pretty worn, but clean. The rooms themselves were also worn, but everything was spotless. The bed was insanely comfortable, the bathroom was very clean, the shower had good water pressure and the rooms were big. We arrived late and were hungry, the front desk suggested a few restaurants that were nearby that would deliver, so we ordered take out and it was delivered quickly. I had one complaint, the AC in our room did not seem to work well. We had it set on 75 and it ran all night and never got below 77. Fortunately it was cool out and we were able to open the windows for fresh air. Even with that, it was not uncomfortable. The neighborhood is nice, not sure why some reviewers said it was sketchy. (See picture of view from window) The complimentary shuttle is also a plus, it runs every half hour, and was on time. Breakfast was very nice with fresh coffee, tea, hard boiled eggs, fresh waffles, fruit, yogurt, bagels and a cereal selection. If you find you need something in an emergency - like nylons or band aids, however, the gift shop in very pricey. So, take the heel-toe express to the nearest store if possible (Walgreen's about a mile away). All in all, I would definitely stay here again. I recommend it for an overnight stay as it is far from all the NYC sights.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

i stayed in the hotel in September 2014, Delta put me up there after an overbooked plane caused me to miss my flight to Amsterdam. I was tired hungry and i expected the worst.
My first surprise was the taxi pick up from the airport ( I know that's delta's responsibility but just felt a need to mention it), it was my first time in New York and the taxi driver was very nice and informative.
I got to the hotel at 11 pm, the staff were very pleasant and helpful.I got a small room but it was clean and had a pretty decent view. The TV was old though, not flat flat screen. I had more than enough clean towels. The building is old but fairly well maintained. Breakfast was buffet style, corn flakes, i think waffles and some other meal(s). Airport shuttle was available the next morning and made many trips (surprised some folks said there was no shuttle).
I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Chicago,IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Jet Blue put us up here for one night a few months ago as they had left Chicago 2 hours late and we missed our connection to Johannesburg. We waited for the hotel shuttle 1/2 hour while watching better hotels" vans arriving multiple times. When we arrived, we were checked in efficiently and our room was acceptable.
However: there is no restaurant, no long distance telephone service ( even for a surcharge),no messaging system ( including the front desk's refusal to take a message) and the only place to eat within walking distance is a Burger King. Some people ordered Chinese food to be delivered and said that it was mediocre at best.
I think there are a lot better airport hotels to choose from.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Garden Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!