“No heat? No A/C ? Run down guestrooms-yes!” 1 of 5 stars

Garden Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151-20 Baisley Boulevard, Jamaica, NY 11434   |
Ranked #23 of 26 hotels in Jamaica
Cathedral City, California
“No heat? No A/C ? Run down guestrooms-yes!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

While the lobby isn't a horror story the guestroom's are a nightmare-
the Bates Motel must have been better--soap the size of a time,
dingy furnishings , this could double as a flop house. A "notice"
said that on Thursday 9-20-2012 there would be no "air conditioning
nor heat" 'all day'! While the letter said they were "sorry for
the inconvenience" they were most presumputious is aing
"thanks for your understanding"-they should have just closed this
awful hotel. Who ever operates this hotel should be investigated by their
local health department. By the way it took 1 1/2 hour to get here via
a slow moving bus.

Room Tip: do your self a favor and find a better hotel near JFK.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
GardenInnManagement, Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Good Day Ms. Pam,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take the ffedback seriously and as an opportunity to improve our services and acknowledge our staff when they go above and beyond. I aplogize for the inconveniences that you encountered. At the time when you arrived the Airtran was done and the Port Authority Police took over directing traffic and their bus services operation which affected our shutle services. As part of our safety training our shuttle drivers do not exceed certain speed limits. In reference to the heat and air conditioning being down for maintenance we did offer all of our guests 24 hour notice and a memo upon arrival. The heat and air conditioning maintenance took place from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and then regular services was restored on time. Once again thank you for providing your feedback and we hope to see you at the Garden Inn & Suites in the future.

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the hotel from Saturday the 8th to Sunday the 9th. We arrived Saturday evening after a long day of traveling and were very tired and hungry. Upon arrival we pullled up into the loop and walked into the hotel. The girl behind the counter wasn't very enthusiastic to check us in. I asked her for advice for a place to eat she was too quick to answer as if she just wanted to get rid of me.
We then went according to her very brief and unclear directions to find this hotel and I made the huge mistake of forgetting my GPS back at the hotel. This ended up being over an hour of trying to find our way back. When we called all they kept saying is that they were on Baisley Boulevard even though I clearly stated that we couldnt find Baisley from where we were. She then put a guy that works there on the phone who obviously didn't have a clue the area streets. All he said was that he was very busy and to ask directions back to the hotel from the gas station around the corner.
Obviously if he would have paid attention to anything I said he would have known that I was nowhere near the gas station. Luckily we found a gentleman while lost who use to be an ex- bus driver/limo driver who looked up info on his GPS. The only problem was that the directions weren't showing up clearly on his GPS and he needed an idea as to what it was close to.
This gentleman was kind enough to come sit in our car and call the hotel for use and find out some information. Unfortunately he was put on hold before he could get to ask anything for about 15 minutes while you could hear talking in the background. Finally he had to hang up and call back and when he asked for directions the girl let out a sigh of impatience and said oh boy. And then all he got was the same answer. We are on Baisley Boulevard after he clearly stated he needed to know what they were close to, After a sond and dance she mentioned a park and church.
He couldnt believe the lack of service either. This hotel is very hard to find and my suggestion to management is that if your are going to put a hotel in a hard to find place be a little more knowledgable about the area and helpful to your guests. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a place where you can buy food in your hotel so that people can eat there instead of getting lost seeing that you dont want to help them with directions.
The rooms were clean and the hotel had some very nice features like the waterfall near the entrance. And the breakfast was very good. This hotel has a lot of potential to be good if mangement would fix the customer service problem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The coach transfer took more than an hour to arrive the Federal circle since we got there, to pick us up, despite it being a JFK airport hotel and only 5 minutes drive away. Even the Holiday inn express coach drivers were offering people waiting for this hotel - a lift (subject to a tip, of course) and the man in charge from the airport said he has had several fights with the Garden Inn and "Suites" hotel and their drivers in the past, regarding them making passengers wait for hours! So we called them numerous times, even mentioning one of us waiting was an old man, diabetic and needed regular meals. He was waiting for over 2 hours and there are no shops or facilities nearby. Meanwhile ALL the other hotels had sent 3-4 coaches that came and went with their to-be residents. When we finally got to the hotel (very basic for $160 per room) the receptionist was more like a bully and rude to everyone, completely avoiding the fact that they made us wait. Conclusion: inefficient, rude staff who lie to you and are most unhelpful from pure laziness. United Airlines must be equally guilty for giving people this hotel to stay at despite them having a track record at doing this.

• Stayed September 2012
GardenInnManagement, Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Sir,
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we take it very seriously. We will speak to our staff and train those who need guidance in providing you with exemplary customer service. We do hope that you consider staying with is in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I ended up staying at the Garden Inn on my last visit to NYC. The hotel I usually stay at was booked and I found this hotel on one of those last minute deal hotel apps. In reviewing this hotel l'll go from worse to best The location is out in Jamaica and from what i can tell there is Nothing really around in walkIng distance. There is no hotel parking lot but on street parking is available and I had no problem getting a spot. A lot of hotels charge for parking so this I thought was a plus. The staff was friendly. The rooms are good. This is definitely not a 4 or 5 star hotel but compared to other places where I have payed more and gotten a shoe box for a room. The rooms here have some space to move. They also
Have shuttle service to JFK Airport. All things considered I would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for four hours due to our flights being delayed till the next morning. We were advised to go take the 'air train' to federal circle. It's part of the JFK airport zone where all hotel buses come and pick their new guests from. We are meant to call the hotel using a free phone. Un like other hotels, Garden Inn Suites don't have a free phone facility. I had to call a Hilton to get the number and call them - to send their shuttle.

As a group of passengers, we called them over 6 times and we were assured bus is on the way. It took them 90 minutes to send the bus!!! Some of us waited 2 hours! As a result we got to the hotel around midnight and we couldn't get any food from the hotel.

The main receptionist was quite impolite despite the wait and made it sound this is normal. Quite loud and no apologies. Rooms were average- was definitely not a suite as they claim to call themselves. We asked for a wake up call for 3.30 am- didn't get one. Call them for any help, they hang up as soon as they can.

I just think it is immoral to make guests wait so long. Other hotel buses arrived within 10 minutes and the drive to the hotel takes about 6 minutes. Reading previous reviews with same issues, this sounds intentional.

Until this women is out of this hotel and they sort out the transport to hotel, if your airline offers you Garden Inn Suites, don't take it! Ask for another hotel...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have to say, that my stay at the Garden Inn and Suites was very pleasant and enjoyable. As soon as I stepped out of JFK airport there was the hotel shuttle service waiting for me. It took just a couple of minutes and I was at the hotel. The shuttle was super convenient and free! The staff at the hotel were very welcoming and made my check in very quick and easy. The suite that I was appointed was really nice. For the price I paid I really got my money worth. Getting wherever I needed to go was easy and in general it was really a great experience. I would goback there next time I'm in the NYC area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Howell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I needed to be in NYC for a bunch of meetings and I needed to catch an early morning flight out of JFK the following morning. Therefore, I chose to stay at an airport right near JFK airport. I have to say, I was very pleased with my choice. After a full day of meeting in NYC, I appreciated the peace and quiet there. The hotel staff got me into my room really fast and even offered me an upgraded room. The room was clean and neat and the bed was really nice and comfy which is what I needed most. Also the free airport shuttle was most convenient. It got me to the airport in minutes. I needed to be at the airport early and wanted to get the most sleep possible. Therefore staying here was definitely a great choice. I would stay here again when I need to be back in the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Garden Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!