“Please renovate” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Los Angeles, California
“Please renovate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I think this hotel must be so highly rated because the staff is really nice and it is at the cheaper end of Ithaca's overpriced hotel market, where sometimes you might fid no hotel rooms in the whole town and people book ahead by years. My experience is that the rooms were terribly in need of renovation--they are 'clean' but dirty and seriously worn in ways that really can't be cleaned any more. Styrofoam cups, tiny rooms with two queens inches apart, broken sliding door onto parking lot. It was clean enough but sorely in need of renovation and they should not be charging these prices--just taking advantage of an inflated market.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ComfortInn356, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Lisa C.,
Out staff is fantastic! Thank you so much for noticing and complimenting them. We are working on improving all the areas you stated as well. We are looking forward to renovations with the New Year. It is going to be a wonderful improvement. Thank you for your comments, we always try to improve for our guests.
Jennifer Foster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had a short visit to Ithaca (Nov 12-14) and had to stay in for two nights. I am a student and did not want to spend too much money just for myself. So, I did price line bidding without knowing the hotel name and got this hotel. Frankly, I was very concerned about this hotel because of the negative review (bugs) below. I was also concerned with the location (It is not in a walking distance to the commons or the university). However, my stay went better than I expected.

- First, there is a free shuttle available every hour (quarter past each hour) leaving from the hotel. They helped me making reservations for the shuttle (seems like the shuttle comes only upon reservations). In the morning I had to suddenly change the time of leaving, and they called the driver who already had left and changed the time for me.
- I had a heating issue in the first room I stayed. The first room that I stayed in had an old-looking heater. I turned the heating on, and cold wind and hot wind came out that the same time (half and half). They were more than willing to change the room for me but I just had no time due to a busy schedule coming up next day. So the next day I changed the room. In that room the heating system was a newer one which worked all great.
- In the two rooms that I stayed (both on the first floor) I did not see any bugs. The bed linens looked clean and I had a very good sleep. My guess is that they know about the negative bug review and maybe they are now more alerted with cleanliness, which is nice (just a guess)...
- The guy at the front desk was very friendly and was very willing to help. I was locked out twice, had a heating issue, and had many questions. He was very helpful every time.
- Bathrooms are clean and updated. Soaps, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, towels, hair dryer are ready.

Of course, it is not a fancy hotel at all, but offers a good service, and is definitely an option for a budget traveler.

Pros: Free shuttle, free breakfast, friendly staff, free wi-fi
Cons: Location (free shuttle takes care a part of it), some rooms might have heating outdated

Room Tip: Check if the heating works properly before unpacking.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear ynlee0120,
Our shuttle service is a great addition to the hotel! It makes everything a little more convenient for our guests. I am glad you took advantage of the service! Out desk staff is really great! They do an outstanding job and are very helpful and full of knowledge! I am happy he could help you with everything you needed. We have also made some changes and will be doing some renovations so the heat issue you encountered doesn't happen again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We added the extras you saw in the bathrooms and have a great group of housekeepers that are striving to do well. Thank you for commenting on our hotel!
Irondequoit, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here for a night after a concert in November.

I used reward points for the room, this hotel is a little "expensive" for a rewards stay, but in the ned free is free.

Check in went smooth, friendly and helpful at the desk (as was everyone we had to deal with, every request was handled promptly and effectively). We were given an odd numbered first floor room (more on this later), which was large enough, though perhaps a little sparse (one desk chair, one other chair for sitting). This king room seemed to have a microwave and refrigerator in the room, a nice plus for longer term stays. The bed was comfortable, the room seemed clean.

The rooms cosmetics were recently updated, the mechanics are dated. The heat, for instance, is a two step process (turn up the thermostat, then walk across the room to turn on the (not quiet) fan). Shower was OK, we had a sticky valve in the toilet that meant I had to pop the back cover to get it to refill the tank a couple times.

Services around the area are decent, there's a diner directly across the busy street, then quite a few shopping malls (including a Wegmans) a very short drive up the road. Not really walking distance, though.

Breakfast looked acceptable, though there are so many better options in the area we passed. This was not a business trip, so I didn't try the work area or the internet.

Now, what you need to watch out for. We had an odd numbered first floor room which included a walkout floor to ceiling door. This could be nice in the summer, unnecessary in the winter. The biggest downside is it's only a couple of paces off the parking lot, and when you have a large diesel pickup truck parked outside your room that the driver has decided to warm up for 15-30 minutes at 5:30-6AM, you are going to be woken up by it. If you plan on sleeping in, make sure you request on EVEN numbered first floor room, or second floor.

Overall it's an acceptable hotel you should be fine in, however. I wouldn't say it's a destination hotel, but if your personal decision making process puts this near the top of your list you shouldn't have to worry.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
mclee19,
Our front desk staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Thank you for commenting on them! We are near some great restaurants and just a short drive to others that are very good as well. We are diligently trying to replace our heating units. I apologize for the inconvenience of the unit and the toilet. Since you were last here we have added some other items to our breakfast. The sliding glass doors really are wonderful in the summer. Next time you are in the area we would love to have you stay with us and see the changes and improvements we have made. Thank you for commenting on our hotel!
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed there one night in Nov 13. A family of four with two children slept quite comfortably but the room is small and does not fit more than one luggage. The room also lacks lighting and in need of a make over. The breakfast was typical American breakfast and is what I have expected. No self serve laundry and I ended driving to downtown for coin laundry. Location was ok and within 10 mins driving to buttermilk falls, farmers market and some shopping areas. Hotel staff were friendly and acceded to my request for late check-out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear James,
I am happy to hear that you and your family slept comfortably. Our beds are so nice to relax on. We do have a full hot breakfast, normally pretty typical, but we have made some changes and will continue to add to what we have. We unfortunately don't have on site laundry services but some are located nearby. However, that is something we are trying to change. I am happy to hear the desk was helpful for you. Thank you for your time in reviewing the hotel!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night during Labor Day weekend, and overall it was a very pleasant stay. The room was nice, seemed very recently updated (was on the second floor, near the end of the hallway), there certainly weren't any bed bugs in our room (other reviewers..). Staff was also friendly and everything went smooth. Breakfast is exactly what you expect from a hotel in this price range, nothing fancy but it gets you going in the morning. All I can say is I wish the hotel was more near downtown ithaca since it's such a nice town, but you know what you're getting into before hand, so I can't complain. Furthermore, the buttermilk falls are within walking distance! (Avoid parking fees!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear ProvP,
Thanks for your comments on our staff. They are a great group to have. We are very lucky! I am glad you have a pleasant stay. We have changed up our breakfast so hopefully we went above normal expectations! We re unfortunately not right in the center of downtown but we are just few minutes but do have Buttermilk Falls right by us. They are beautiful, I hope you enjoyed them!
san luis obispo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Staff was nice .. Breakfast typical low budget mediocre ,hallways dirty need repair Rooms recently redone so room didn't feel dirty just okay .
We canceled our return booking if you arrive late decent option we paid low 79.00 thursday others paid 139 ..ithaca expensive we paid 239 for weekend at Fairfield across street. So depends on how much time you spend in room with lights on ..

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear cahotelguy,
Our staff is very friendly, thank you for commenting! I'm sorry to hear your stay was just mediocre. We have made some changes and improvements and always strive to become even better. We are looking forward to renovations coming up to make things even better. If you are back in the area please let us know we would be happy to have you with us again to see our improvements!
Ivyland, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Oh, I've got lots of notes on this hotel, but there's one thing that overshadows them all. Bed bugs. Seriously. I'm the kind of guy who said all the bedbug scare was media hype, but now I'm humbled.

I was here on business, got back to the room late, and worked for a few hours at the desk. I turned the bed back at about 2am, threw all but one of the pillows on one bed (I had two beds with 8 pillows!) and took a shower. When I went to get into bed, I saw a bug. Examined it closely and it was a bedbug. Stupid me then said I would just sleep in the other bed. I threw the pillows back onto the bugged bed and saw a bug come out of a pillow case. Ok, gotta go. I went to call the front desk only to discover the phone in my room didn't work. So I got dressed and went down to the lobby to find no one at the front desk. Waited ten minutes until I finally called the hotel's main phone number and magically someone appeared from the parking lot, appearing to swoosh smoke away from himself. I gave him a bug in a tissue and he gave me a new room. I packed all my belongings and went to a new room (potentially transporting bugs, right?). Most by now would have slept in their car, but I gave the new room a close examination and went to bed. It was 4am.

In the morning, the manager was too busy to speak with me when I checked out, so I called her a few hours later. Unapologetic. Unempathetic. Basically tried to make it like it was my fault and that they were "looking into the situation." What else for me to do other than post the review (and some photos) here.

Other issues, by the way, were lights out in the bathroom (which has stained ceilings), brown gunk on the bathroom walls, towels thin and like sandpaper, and even the paper pad by the phone was stained with some dried up liquid. (See photos) Now I usually try to write balanced reviews and there were some positives about this hotel, but my complaints are so big that the compliments aren't worth mentioning.

They did call me this morning and offered a refund (the room was prepaid on Hotwire). Case closed. Now you consider whether you will stay here. I won't be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!