“I beg to differ!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

You added The Hotel Ithaca to your Saves list
The Hotel Ithaca
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 S. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850 (Formerly Holiday Inn Ithaca)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Phish Magnaball Package
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I beg to differ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

I just returned from a stay at this hotel and respecfully disagree with the less-than-favorable previous responses. My room was well appointed, and immaculate. Although it appeared that many events were being hosted (There were rows of gift baskets behind the desk.) , the staff at the front desk were attentive to everyone's needs. Yes...it IS an older hotel, but it has kept pace with the times. The location downtown is great; parking is convenient As an aside, I left my cell phone in the room and discovered it missing when I got home. Housekeeping had secured it, turned it off to save the battery and were most accomodating about getting it returned to me!

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

This place is a dump, and the staff is unfriendly. I am learning to avoid Holiday Inns. This place was noisy and had water damage. No decent business facilities.

Stay somewhere else while in Ithaca.

Stayed April 2007
Manhasset, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

We had made a reservation directly with the hotel, but even though we arrived at 4:30pm, our room was not ready! We were given a couple of free drink coupons and told it should be ready by 6:00, but when we came back after 6:00, it still was NOT ready!! One supervisor at the front desk was helpful--he seemed concerned and wanted to help, but was at the mercy of the inept housekeeping staff. After being given more drink coupons and a reduction in our hotel rate, we were made to wait some more. When our room was finally ready, we had to haul all our luggage up two flights of stairs to the second floor (no elevator to that portion of the hotel!) and when we got in we were disgusted to find that our "non-smoking" room REEKED of smoke! Again, we found our way back to the desk, had to wait for the one competent supervisor to come back to the desk (he was off putting out some other "fires") to rearrange our reservations. We then had to haul our luggage back down to the first floor to our new room on the first floor, which was missing pillowcases and had clearly been given the speedy version of a cleaning--sheets not put properly on the bed, stains on the comforter, hairs on the bathroom floor--UGH!! It was a night I hope to put out of my memory....

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed here in January 2007 for 3 nights. I had booked the room months earlier on an Internet "Winter Weekend" special, but when I arrived the staff claimed they knew nothing about such a special, even when I showed them a copy of the web page. They insisted on registering me at a much higher rate until I called the Priority Club number (thank goodness for cell phones).

Although I was told I could reserve a shuttle bus to the Cornell campus, whenever I showed up in the morning for my reservation the person at the desk looked at me in surprise. Usually, the shuttle was not available. To their credit, when this happened they called and paid for a cab, but cabs in Ithaca are like buses, they travel all over town picking up fares and I was late for my meeting.

In addition to these service problems, I could hear the people in the room above all night long. It sounded like they were doing somersaults on the bed. The management did take care of this problem, but why did I have to experience it in the first place?
I would never stay here again.

• Disliked — Staff did not honor web special booking.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and adequate, but the air conditioning wasn't great a bit noisy. Many of the rooms cannot be accessed through the main part of the building, you have to go around the side and up the stairs. It has a nice car park, which was helpful.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Hard to access some rooms
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

The hotel was great. Very clean, with nice pool and nice staff. Very helpful with providing Ethernet connection. Max's Grill also had great food.

Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

This was a very nice hotel for the price, and the rooms are very comfortable. The best thing though was the service - I did have a few snags with my room (the hairdryer, heating unit and phone all broke during the course of 2 days), but the staff were right on it, and fixed things straight away where possible. The heater couldn't be fixed so they helped me to move to an identical (good corner) room on the next floor up, and gave me vouchers for free food and drink.
If I was going back to Ithaca I would stay there again. I liked the nice touch of the free water and goody bag on arrival for Priority Club members too.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!