“Not sure what my other options were, but this was okay” 3 of 5 stars

The Hotel Ithaca
222 S. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850 (Formerly Holiday Inn Ithaca)   |
Ranked #12 of 19 hotels in Ithaca
st. croix USVI
“Not sure what my other options were, but this was okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Our client paid for our room so we didn't have any input. This might be the best hotel in Ithaca, I can't say since I didn't spend time comparing. I called the hotel directly to request a smoking room, non-smokers will be pleased to know the hotel is entirely non-smoking, not just common areas but all rooms. That's fine, I don't smoke in my own house so not a biggie. Got my room near an exit so I could slip out and smoke. Very clean overall, but needs a bit of updating (e.g. rips in dust ruffle, worn but clean towels, etc.). DO NOT eat food from the sports bar located at the restaurant property. Just don't do it. I would have been better off walking to the nearest convenience store for a 2 day old salad. I ordered a filet with a sherry sauce - the sherry had to be given to a server by the bartender to deliver it to the kitchen in order to prepare the sauce. Hmm, funny, I got the mushroom sauce but I'm guessing the cook (can't say chef here) got the sherry. One quaint observation, around 5pm the manager had a Manager's Welcome in the lobby with cheeses and wines, quite a charming idea.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
bangor, mn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I ate dinner the first night at the hotel. Their diner (Max's) is average American cuisine with decent prices. Upon checking into my first room there were soiled underwear visible in the curtains as soon as I entered the room. The housekeeping was definitely far below average. The hotel rooms have a worn down feel. They are serviceable, but not great. The service staff are generally friendly. One of the two elevators was broken, I used the stairs. The hotel is centrally located, which is nice.

I travel a lot and have stayed in dozens of hotels. Some of them very old, but updated, hotels like this one. I have never had such a sub-par experience from a supposedly upper tier hotel brand like Holiday Inn. Its not that any one area of the hotel is horribly lacking its just that everything was average to below average. Prices were decent, rooms and cleanliness were just alright. I just don't appreciate when housekeeping fail basic issues like picking up underwear and drink bottles from previous guests. They did respond and get me a new room and some meal vouchers rather quickly, but I would rather not have to deal with situations like that as a frequent traveler.

This is probably my worst hotel experience in the last couple of years. I highly recommend you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn across town if it is available. However, if you have to stay here it is not the end of the world.

• Liked — The treadmills were nice
  • Disliked — The soiled underpants in my room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Rochester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Lights are blown in several places, toilet seat is broken, doors are worn, scum in the corners.... in short your stay will entail constant maintenance requests to the front desk. To top it off, both elevators were down. Yes, both.

There are cobwebs between the curtains and windows. Come on people, cob webs?

Oh, and while it would be unreasonable to expect decent complementary breakfast, palatable would be nice.

In short, if your only other option has roaches crawling on the wall in the brochure pictures, this is a good option. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Negative stars would be more fitting.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the H.I. Ithaca for 3 nights in mid-September. We stayed in Room 491 (in the tower section), a room that faces a parking garage, but does offer a slight view of the Cornell U. campus on the hill overlooking town. Since we were there for work we payed the gov't rate of $106 per night (more about that later).
Check-in was smooth and efficient and we were quickly in our room on the 4th floor. The room itself was ok - the carpet looked surprisingly fresh and the place was clean, although the furniture, the bathroom, the fixtures, and the walls all looked just a little tired. I don't think it would take much to modernize these rooms, but they do feel a little dated by today's standard.
We didn't really make much use of any of the hotel's facilties like the pool or the restaurant so I can't really comment on them, however I can say that the hotel is located downtown near some decent restaurants and shops, but it is quite a hike (up hill) to the Cornell campus (the H.I. provides a shuttle if needed).
The biggest complaint we had about the H.I. was with regards the elevators. There are 2 servicing the tower part of the hotel and it seemed that over the course of 3 days at least 1 of them was broken at all times, and during our last night both of them were broken. In fairness to the H.I. they compensated us by deducting a night's charge from our hotel bill for the incovenience of walking up/down the emergency staircase.
Overall, the Holiday Inn Ithaca ended up being a cheap place to stay due to the compensation (it came to approx $75 night inc. tax), but it should be noted that this is a hotel that could be better than it is.

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Disliked — Elevators, Slightly dated feel to the place
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Great deal on 2 rooms for our family of 5 for 2 nights ($150 per room per night). Good size rooms and decent bathrooms. The staff were well meaning and attentive. A leaky a/c unit was dealt with promptly as was a blocked toilet. The rooms were quiet, despite being on the ground floor, and the washer/dryer facility for guests was greatly appreciated as we had already been travelling a week. The fly in the ointment was the restaurant. It was never full during our stay and yet service was painfully slow with at least one item missing from every order. Staff did not seem particularly happy to see diners especially when they appeared at 8.50pm expecting dinner. Only appetizers were served after 9pm - quite bizarre and we obviously missed this important detail. However, it gave us a chance to explore the delights of Ithaca where we found an excellent sushi restaurant.
The hotel rooms did look a little tired and I didn't get the urge to walk barefoot on the carpet which needed a good steam clean.

• Liked — Large rooms, easy access to laundry
  • Disliked — Sticky carpet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Chittenango, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Located right across from the Commons of Ithaca, which is great. But, the hotel is old. Its been renovated and put back together several times. It looks like it used to be an "outdoor" motel that got enclosed. And the second floor doesnt have an elevator to get to, unless you're staying in the tower part of the hotel. The room is small, and the bathroom is smaller. Its just not up to today's standards for hotels, and considering its more expensive than other area nicer hotels (Hilton Garden Inn, for example), I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed July 2008
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

I was a little nervous about staying at this location due to the other posts on this site. But, I had a good experience overall. We booked a corner room with a king-sized bed. The view from our window wasn't amazing but wasn't offensive either. Upon check-in, the staff at the front desk was very professional. (Though when I called to book the room, the woman that assisted me wasn't overly helpful.)
Our room in the tower was spacious and clean, but I could tell that the rooms in the "motor lodge" section were pretty crummy. Note: spend the extra money to have a nicer room in the tower.
I swam in the pool which I found to be clean, if not a touch over-chlorinated.
If you are visiting Ithaca and want to enjoy the commons, this hotel may be hard to beat!

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!