“Not great value for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

You added The Hotel Ithaca to your Saves list
The Hotel Ithaca
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 S. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850 (Formerly Holiday Inn Ithaca)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Mother's Day Buffet
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Toronto
“Not great value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Holiday Inn downtown Ithaca and it wasn't really good value for the money. I'm not sure if this isn't so for all the hotels in downtown Ithaca. They all seem to have high priced accommodation and I'm not sure why.
The one redeeming factor of this hotel was that it was situated right down town so that it was close to walking distance to great restaurants and bistros and to the Common. But this hotel is tired and needs a renovation. Our first room smelled of smoke and the night manager was very understanding so he gave us a new room across the hall. Both rooms were on the second floor and were kind of dingy and disappointing. The second room overlooked the rooftop and its large industrial vents - no view at all. The bathroom was okay and quite spacious but the taps were a bit grungy and the tub was small and shallow. Our beds sagged and the cleaning staff didn't clean our rooms on the last day that we were there - they didn't realize that we had booked to stay on the Sunday night. So overall, though I loved the area and the city, I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: I heard the rooms in the tower might be better than the ones on the ground and second floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear lackrill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the room you received. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel got barely lukewarm reviews in Trip Advisor, but we really needed a hotel room for my daughter's Ithaca College concerts, so we made a reservation for one night at the Holiday Inn. The location is great. The room was clean. We got a complimentary water and small bottle of wine for signing up for the rewards program. The staff were friendly. Everything good so far. The room was fine - it's a Holiday Inn - not a five star hotel - a good price, nice room EXCEPT we were facing the parking ramp and there was no curtain to draw! There was only the sheer curtain. Several times during the night I woke up and the room had an orange glow from the parking garage lights. Seriously? I would definitely stay there again if they invested in some room darkening curtains. I heard from a local that they were renovating the rooms. Maybe they hadn't made it to the curtains yet. I would definitely consider staying there again, if I had a room with curtains, because it is a great location, and otherwise the hotel was fine - a Holiday Inn at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
We appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn- Ithaca Downtown to stay while your daughter visits Ithaca College. We are in fact starting renovations this November. Unfortunately it is a common oversight but there are black out curtains behind the sheers which sometimes get hidden but the drapes. Please next time if you have difficulty finding them contact our front desk and we will be happy to show you. Hope to see you on your next visit to Ithaca.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for a recent wedding. The rooms were well appointed and the staff was extremely friendly. We lost our luggage on the way to Ithaca. The luggage was delivered at 2 am, and the staff kindly held the bags until early the next morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased to hear that our staff was helpful for your stay here in Ithaca. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the wedding you were in town even with the hiccups you encountered.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel choices in Ithaca are fairly slim pickings; aside from the Statler, you're not going to get luxury. That said, the Holiday Inn is very conveniently located near the Commons and not too far from the college campuses. I found the hotel to be extremely clean and comfortable. We stayed in the tower, and had nice views of the surrounding area. The highlight of our stay was the friendly front desk staff, which checked us in efficiently, came through in a pinch with a Blackberry charger, and loaded us up with awesome free bath amenities (Tom's of Maine toothpaste!) when we realized we'd forgotten our own. I think I dealt with about five different people over the course of our stay and every person was friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that the parking lot filled up at night so we had to park on the street, but meters are free overnight and the lot had cleared out by the time we needed to move the car the next morning at 9am.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ithaca, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

HI has tried to update this very dated property - lobby lovely, rooms leave much to be desired. I asked for the room the front desk mgr would choose for herself. Right off lobby and main corridor, 1st floor. Door not fully closed by ? Housekeeper -swells and must be forced closed. Old smoke smell greeted me. Room decor somewhat welcoming. Dirty, dirty window sills over noisy room ac/heat source. View - my car parked outside my window. Checked bed for bugs - always do that - and found mattress pad very deteriorated. Clearly not laundered regularly - would not have made it thru washer in one piece. Dirty glass rings on the night stand from previous occupant. Towels folded to look cute.

Internet use password used month and date. So on 9/30 @ midnight my login no longer worked for my am of 10/1. huh?..... This must happen about 12 times per year......

$170/night. No re-fridge, dated, not cleaned well, linens very shabby. 3block walk to attractions dark and with minimal foot traffic. Would only return if I had to. Hilton Garden Inn 2 blocks away, $40/night more, clean, fresh, friendly - very worth price difference.

Room Tip: Can't offer one. Front office mgr placed me in her room of choice and you have seen what that yi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Reluctantbsnstravel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Holiday Inn Ithaca is a clean hotel in a good part of Ithaca, downtown, 2 blocks from the Commons, a nice multi-block section of shops where the street is permanently a pedestrian mall.

15-20 years ago, he Holiday Inn was THE premium hotel in Ithaca (excluding Cornell's Statler Hotel). I stayed in the two-story section, which seems more dated than the tower.

The room was generally clean. Decent size. But dated decor. Parking lot was full, but spots were available across the street. AC unit was quite noisy.

I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear MPCLDC,

Ferdinand G
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The first room I was given smelled like a musty basement, I asked to be changed and they were very amenable and apologetic. The second room I was given had some nice surprises for me. A non-working heater, a toilet that ran all night, a dirty band aid on the floor.....and a PUBE on the sink! Gross!! I mentioned all this to the front desk the following morning and again, they were very nice and apologized by giving me a coupon for a free breakfast. They assured me that they would make sure the cleaning staff did a good job on the room while I was gone for the day. Well....just got back and there's still someone else's dirty bandaid on the floor. Seriously gross is all I can say.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Robyn R,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our hotel. We really appreciate that feedback you have given us as we are always looking for ways we can improve. We take great pride in having a clean hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services. We are really disappointed to hear about your experience particularly the poor cleanliness of the room accommodations you encountered. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Been to The Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!