“Clogged shower drain ruins the experience” 1 of 5 stars

The Hotel Ithaca
222 S. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850 (Formerly Holiday Inn Ithaca)   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Rochester
“Clogged shower drain ruins the experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

As a regular traveler to Ithaca for business, I choose this hotel due to its convenient location to downtown. Up in the morning and getting ready to shower, notice the tub is backing up so I check the drain.
I pull out a chipmunk-size hair clog - unbelievable! Call the front desk and the person there is also grossed out and sympathetic. Feeling like the rest of the room must not be clean beyond the surface appearance. Plenty of other choices in Ithaca and will stay in one of those next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear tsam1,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent efforts to improve the quality of our products and service. I'm delighted that our location was very convenient for your business needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the condition of the shower have caused you. Rest assured this feedback will be shared with the appropriate department that can help us monitor and improve the quality and services we offer

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make it right.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

They stuck me in the oldest part of the hotel, the old motel-style rooms that now have an enclosed hallway to protect you from the elements. But not the cold.

Room was dated, carpet too--with stains and obvious mud and dirt marks. For the most part the bathroom and room were otherwise clean. Heating unit was loud.

For about the same price or maybe $10 more, you can stay at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn or the Hampton Inn on Rt 13. Which is where I'll stay the next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newest section of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear cbr79,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the carpet and for the property being dated. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great price on Priceline. Large room with comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Great bar downstairs (Max's) for drinks. Good location..walk to Commons. Housekeeping was terrible. My husband found an empty wine bottle in a dresser drawer while he was unpacking. We stayed for two nights and the room was never even cleaned the second day.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear keeptraveling88,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you mentioned the hotel's quietness. Although our hotel is located near the airport, we want every guest to receive comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our housekeeping staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

we stayed here to look at IThaca College- it's very convenient but the facility is a little dated and motel- ish appearing. avoid the street it can be kind of noisy. I would expect to pay a lower price than I got on price line but there aren''t alot of hotels in this area. You can walk to the downtown from the hotel. if there was a little breakfast or a little nicer rooms would consider staying there again/

Room Tip: dont stay on street side it's noisy
Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear knatalie,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the lack of complimentary breakfast and the street noise. We will look into this point. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I occasionally come to Ithaca for research at Cornell and in the past have stayed at a-- let's just say 'dumpier'-- hotel closer to the campus. However, when that establishment quoted a rate that seemed totally crazy, I used Priceline and got a total value with this Holiday Inn.

It is very clean and the staff was quite nice. I showed up early and no rooms were ready, so to pass the time I got a discount coupon for a drink at the hotel restaurant. (The coupon was needed, unfortunately; the beer prices were on par with what you'd find at a major airport bar.) The location is great for seeing Ithaca and a short walk takes you to the Ithaca Commons and its surrounding bars and eateries. Ithaca's bus system allowed me to make it to campus rather easily and the major bus terminal was nearby. Though I didn't have a car, it sounded like during periods of higher occupancy that parking can be an issue.

The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet, allowing me to work or relax as needed. I'll look for this place on my next trip back to Ithaca without hesitation.

Oceanside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The rooms in the hotel need some updating. The bathrooms look like they are from 1980. The pillows for a kind size bed are child size, I know it sounds strange, but if you stay there and see the pillows you would understand. It is very close to everything which is perfect!! 1.5 miles to Cornell, and can walk to the downtown shopping. The staff was extremely friendly, and nice.

Room Tip: You def want to stay in the tower and not in the wings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Charlene I,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciated the our location and the service delivered by our staff. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in your room accommodation. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel due to business travel and not being able to select my own hotel to stay at. I am still not thrilled with the property, especially for the price. This holiday inn does not live up the holiday inn name at all.

This property is alittle run down but over all the staff were pretty helpful, cheerful and nice which was a huge improvement from my first stay. Room was standard and did not include a micro or fridge. Since I was staying 4 days I requested a fridge and it was brought to my room within the hour. It looked pretty banged up but worked great.

The pool is out of service for some reason so be aware if swimming is on your agenda. MY room was on the first floor facing the road and it was VERY loud all night long. Not much sound proofing in this place. Could hear my neighbor in the next room talking to his wife on the phone.

My biggest complaint continues to be the iffy shuttle service. The hotel was practically empty during my stay as the University was closed for break. Reserved the shuttle for an early morning trip to campus and upon arriving was told that they didn't have anyone to drive the shuttle (only one person covering the desk) so they called us a cab (and they paid the fare). The cab was DISGUSTING. Reeked of cigarette smoke, car was tiny and the driver had her small child with her in the front seat. Had asked about service back to the hotel and was told by the front desk that we should call and see IF a shuttle was available when we were ready. After making the call - and luckily having the shutle available - we waited 45 minutes in the cold for it to arrive. Next morning we were able to get shuttle service in the AM but the afternoon was another long wait. My colleuges mentioned that they had been stranded on campus by the shoddy shuttle in the past.

I inquired about the quirky service and was told that actually it was very quiet so we were lucky. When the college is in session they shuttle is very hard to get in the afternoon. I don't like having to worry about being stranded on the Cornell campus in the winter.

The location is convenient to restaurants, shopping centers (Wegmans, Tops, Barnes and Noble, etc.) but the iffy shuttle service and the high price (no included breakfast either) would not make this my first choice in Ithaca.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a tower room - I hear they are newer and nicer. Also, if you require a micro or f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear mysterie91,

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am deeply sorry to read that you were inconvenienced by the shuttle service. I appreciate you letting us know about this unsatisfactory circumstance as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your review and we all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Been to The Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!