“Better than the first visit but still disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

The Hotel Ithaca
222 S. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850 (Formerly Holiday Inn Ithaca)   |
Ranked #12 of 19 hotels in Ithaca
new york
“Better than the first visit but still disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel due to business travel and not being able to select my own hotel to stay at. I am still not thrilled with the property, especially for the price. This holiday inn does not live up the holiday inn name at all.

This property is alittle run down but over all the staff were pretty helpful, cheerful and nice which was a huge improvement from my first stay. Room was standard and did not include a micro or fridge. Since I was staying 4 days I requested a fridge and it was brought to my room within the hour. It looked pretty banged up but worked great.

The pool is out of service for some reason so be aware if swimming is on your agenda. MY room was on the first floor facing the road and it was VERY loud all night long. Not much sound proofing in this place. Could hear my neighbor in the next room talking to his wife on the phone.

My biggest complaint continues to be the iffy shuttle service. The hotel was practically empty during my stay as the University was closed for break. Reserved the shuttle for an early morning trip to campus and upon arriving was told that they didn't have anyone to drive the shuttle (only one person covering the desk) so they called us a cab (and they paid the fare). The cab was DISGUSTING. Reeked of cigarette smoke, car was tiny and the driver had her small child with her in the front seat. Had asked about service back to the hotel and was told by the front desk that we should call and see IF a shuttle was available when we were ready. After making the call - and luckily having the shutle available - we waited 45 minutes in the cold for it to arrive. Next morning we were able to get shuttle service in the AM but the afternoon was another long wait. My colleuges mentioned that they had been stranded on campus by the shoddy shuttle in the past.

I inquired about the quirky service and was told that actually it was very quiet so we were lucky. When the college is in session they shuttle is very hard to get in the afternoon. I don't like having to worry about being stranded on the Cornell campus in the winter.

The location is convenient to restaurants, shopping centers (Wegmans, Tops, Barnes and Noble, etc.) but the iffy shuttle service and the high price (no included breakfast either) would not make this my first choice in Ithaca.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a tower room - I hear they are newer and nicer. Also, if you require a micro or f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear mysterie91,

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am deeply sorry to read that you were inconvenienced by the shuttle service. I appreciate you letting us know about this unsatisfactory circumstance as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your review and we all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I plan to make regular visits to Ithaca, and this will be my place to stay. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was quiet and comfortable, the bedding and towels were excellent quality and attractively arranged. The shower head had multiple settings, and the water was hot quickly, even on the ninth floor. I had a corner room with a lovely view in both directions. The controls for heat and air conditioning are easy to adjust. The cafe is delightful, with quick service and generous portions of great food.

The downtown location is perfect, and I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: I will always request a corner room on the ninth or tenth floor. The view is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed overnight for an early morning college interview at Ithaca. Grabbed this room for a GREAT price on Priceline, and I would have been more disappointed had I paid any more for it.
Staff was very friendly getting us checked in, and the hotel was clean and attractive. When we entered our room the heat was blasting, we were immediately too hot and uncomfortable, and the overhead light at the door didn't work.
The bedding looked new and was very comfortable, they offered pillows labled "firm" and "soft" on each bed which was thoughtful. Accessible outlets for our phone chargers and laptops would have been nice. We had to go behind furniture to find them. The bathroom was clean but older-looking with the permanent grout dirt, dripping faucet, etc. The toiletry samples were from Bath & Body Works which I'm allergic to.
The pool and gym were both very nice, but you're sharing the lobby restroom (with a separate entrance to the gym) to change your clothes--so better to change in your room and bring a cover up. Pool was long enough to swim laps and the treadmills (two total, also one nautilus machine and a stationary recumbent bike) had TV's attached to each.
The restaurant, Max's, was great and staff there was friendly too. We enjoyed the 1/2 price appetizers deal on weekdays.
Priceline advertised a free breakfast with this room so we were disappointed when there wasn't one. Fortunately, we did have the restaurant right there to grab something before our early morning appointment.

We had just come from a PERFECT hotel stay in Syracuse the night before, where we paid an even lower price for a larger room with a sitting area, microwave, granite bathroom, free hot breakfast...so maybe if we hadn't just experienced THAT, this would have been a better review...

If we had had more time to visit downtown Ithaca this would have been the ideal location for that, it's a very walk-able distance to the commons area for restaurants and shopping. In summary, I agree with Scott D's review:: "a bit rundown", but I will consider this hotel again if I'm coming back to Ithaca.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The staff was very friendly. The room was clean and large. The bedding all seemed quite new. It had a nice comfortable chair with an ottoman for your feet. The desk was large. It is easy walking distance from many restaurants and shops, and a large library. It is not walking distance from Cornell. The restaurant is standard for a hotel of this type. The breakfast was very nice but typically overpriced.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly upon check in. Room was immaculent, even had turned on the heat before we arrived. Great ammenities and bedding. Close to everything and reasonably priced - what more can we ask for? Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

the property is a bit rundown. On the surface everything seems as thought it is fine - pretty standard stuff. But then one by one you start noticing the things that just aren't right. This was once a slightly more high end property (under another name and brand) but hasn't had the maintenance investment to sustain it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Central Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My first room was dirty and bed looked like that someone has slept there before. The room was in the side building next to the parking lot. I got another room which was little cleaner, but toilet got stuck. Bathroom does not have a sink, it's in the room. I got finally the third room from the tower, but still bed was not made well, so it looks used, because the linens are not well ironed. Reception gave really bad service and when they finally let us talk to the management, everything started working well.

Room Tip: Check other options.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!