“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Romantic Winter Hideaway
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Buffalo/Niagara
“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

This is our fourth time staying at La Tourelle and it is our favorite place to stay in the Finger Lakes. Leslie and her staff make sure the rooms and hotel are extremely clean. Great beds with wonderful linens make for a good night's sleep. The owners' collection of African art add an interesting contrast to the country French decor. Check for room and spa packages on the hotel's website. The August Moon Spa offers well-appointed relaxation rooms and amazing treatments. Weekdays are less busy and a free therapeutic soak is part of any massage booked between 8-4 M-Thur. A small fitness room also provides an elliptical machine, Precor and stationary bikes, in addition to a slew of outdoor activities. Easy walking trails out back link to nearby Buttermilk Falls State Park trails and are a beautiful way to enjoy nature while getting some cardio. La Petit Cafe on site serves breakfast and lunch and the fare is satisfactory. Skip nearby John Thomas Steakhouse. Heavy food, overpriced and slightly pretentious. Opt instead for something healthier near the Commons or at Green Star Co-op. Ithaca has galleries and cultural attractions all year through and wineries abound offering wonderful choices along scenic Cayuga Lake. Would recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Ithaca for business or pleasure.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Canandaigua, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

I stayed at La Tourelle earlier this week for a small business meeting but wished I could have stayed longer for a romantic getaway or a personal retreat. The staff was very friendly and I was escorted to my room and was shown all the amenities in the room and how to use them. I would highly recommend the Marseille room although I am sure they are all just as nice. This room had a beautiful king bed, a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. There was also a small balcony with a chair where I had my morning coffee. The view was wonderful - even the bathroom had a nice view! There is a small bar area off the lobby (honor system!) and coffee and fresh fruit available all day. There is a spa located at the resort and many of the treatments reflect a "Finger Lakes" feeling. The scenery is beautiful - a hilltop overlooking Ithaca. I had dinner at John Thomas Steakhouse which is just a few steps from the front door of the resort. Great for steak eaters and a nice wine list. I will definitely return and spend more time exploring the area - hiking and winery tours seem popular.
There was a couple that we spoke to at dinner that had ridden motorcycles up from Pennsylvania and were going to spend a few days touring the Finger Lakes - it sounded great!

• Liked — It felt like a hidden treasure
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Binghamton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

My wife and I stayed here and the room was amazing (large screen projector system for watching movies) complete with shelves of books, a fridge, a bottle of champagne ... everything you could ask for and more. The view from our small terrace was fantastic.

To top it ALL off, we had a couple's massage at the spa in the lower level (August Moon) and it was UNBELIEVABLE. I was like jello afterwards ... which made going back to our room all the more inviting!

• Liked — The room with the projection TV
  • Disliked — Breakfast was a bit slow (but delicious when it came)
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

What a fabulous resort! Everyone was soooo nice -- the beds are like floating on air! The spa was incredible -- I didn't want to leave--ever! I have never stayed in a cleaner room. All I can is -- if you want to go somewhere and truely relax and have somebody take really good care of you -- call La Tourelle!

• Liked — It was soo relaxing!
  • Disliked — We had to leave!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

First of all, I had an e-mail confirmation from LaTourelle for an on-line reservation - and THEY DID NOT HAVE MY RESERVATION - I had the print out with me, and they found me a room, but they were rude during the entire process.

Room was bland and plain, albeit large.

Spa overcharged me.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

Okay, I just read the previous review and must add that our room was near the room with an electrical fire (motor to the spa tub was the cause). We were called by the hotel management to vacate our room since we were so close. Fire alarms happen and I'd rather be freezing then roasting (literally). We did hang out in the lobby most of the time (warm but alarm was blarring).

The hotel is definitely overpriced but having a senior at Cornell, I'm used to the paying too much for a room in a college town.

The rooms are like the Hampton Inn but upgraded with faux wood floors, fireplace (paid extra for this) and a spa tub (just cross your fingers the motor doesn't burn up). Calling the hotel a spa is a true streach of one's imagination.

It's much better than the Holiday Inn in college town (truly creepy) actually paying $325 per night for graduation.

I would suggest staying at Statler on campus if you can manage to acquire a reservation or Hampton Inn (bit of a drive to Cornell).

As for Steve's Steakhouse, my son loves it! But coming from someone regularly consuming faternity food buyer beware!

• Liked — better than the Holiday Inn
  • Disliked — Not worth the price
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Statler Hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oneonta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

When I first looked at this website, I can tell you it was definately enticing. My boyfriend and I were booked the Tower Room, however, when we got to the resort, we were given an ordinary bedroom. VERY DISAPPOINTING (to say the least). We were expecting to have a nice, relaxing time, as we were celebrating our anniversary. I mean you would think with going to a resort and all THEY WOULD ACCOMODATE YOUR NEEDS. BOY WERE WE WRONG. I ended up getting food poisoning and was sick for most of the night, after getting room service from the restaurant on the premises. Then to top off my horrible night, we were woken up to the sounds of a piercing fire alarm. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THE HOTEL STAFF WOULD CALL YOUR ROOMS AND KNOCK ON THE DOORS IF THERE WAS A FIRE- THEY NEVER DID ANY OF THAT. It was freezing out and we had to wait over an hour in the cold, while the staff ignored all of the guests and did not tell them what was wrong. Some of the guests even walked out at 4 AM and went home. After the fire marshall finally cleared all of the rooms and told everyone that it was an electrical fire (which is obviously the hotel's fault), we were finally allowed to go back to our rooms. The thing that pissed me off the most was that there was no accomodations the next morning for the guests (ie. complimentary breakfast or reduced rates for your rooms). The resort did not apologize in any way for this inconvience, which is pretty rude considering that we were at their mercy the whole night. This is by far the biggest rip-off I've experienced in my life. I would not suggest to anyone to stay in that place- they're basically liars. Their website is completely wrong- as I've previously said, we did not get the room that we booked, there were bugs all over the ceiling in the bathroom and there were no screens, and the steakhouse was absolutely disgusting. WHAT A WAY TO CELEBRATE AN ANNIVERSARY

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Never Book Here
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Tourelle? Share your experiences!