“A Fine Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Rochester, New York
“A Fine Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was in town for a concert, and my usual hotel choice (Super 8) was fully booked. The rate at that hotel is usually lower, and its location is closer (walking distance) to the downtown/Commons area. The Ramada is north of town, adjacent to a shopping mall and grocery store. I had stayed at the Ramada in the past, so I knew what to expect. When I arrived, there was a substantial line at the counter. (I discovered that it was Cornell reunion weekend.) The one person working at the counter did an admirable job dealing with customers and the telephone, but it would have been far better had a second employee decided to help. No matter; I was given my room keys and went to my room. Neither key worked. I went back to the counter and stood in line some more to get new keys. The new ones worked. Aside from that issue, though, I have no complaints about this stay. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The shower had good water temperature, pressure and shower height. While the hotel has both a restaurant and free wi-fi, I used neither this time. Although it's not my first choice, I would certainly consider the Ramada when next I am in Ithaca.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This is the WORST. I can't even believe that I am forced to sit in my room, at this very moment, typing this out. Service, facilities, and especially attitude of the staff is a 0/5. Plumbing doesnt function well. You couldnt flush a spider down the toilet (I tried). I came back to my room after 4 hours and housekeeping left the DOOR WIDE OPEN. No one around. I am fortunate that the ipad I am typing on was not stolen. There are other hotels to choose from. If you are coming to Ithaca because of a college student - choose something else. A ten mile drive is well worth it. This is the LAST place that parents of kids from Cornell/Ithaca choose for a reason. Now I know why. Wont make the same mistake again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Broomfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were staying for over a week at this hotel and there was an international meeting hosted there on SA and SU. It was past embarassing that prior to our SU meeting there was no hot water in the hotel and the management hid behind the front desk person who handled a lot of compalints. This was only worsened by no water at all the following day, again the management hid behind the front desk person and offered not comments or input to this issue.

I would HIGHLY discourage anyone from staying here. The staff is phenomenol and the management is past horrible and really shouldn't be part of the hospitality industry.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
holbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was going to visit my son at Cornell this past weekend and did not realize it was accepted students weekend so all the hotels were booked. The only reservations I was able to get was at the Ramada Inn. After reading the reviews, I figured there was a reason that was the only place left but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very helpful, the rooms were nice - bed was comfortable - and we had absolutely no complaints. They are in the process of renovating so, while it may now be a bit dingy, this will hopefully be improved. They have a nice dining room and the breakfast was delicious and not at all expensive. We did not eat there but they also serve dinner which is nice. I feel this hotel got an unjustified bad review.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. James, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

When arriving in the lobby the decor seemed acceptable and clean. Upon check in the clerk directed me to drive all the way around back to a rear entrance to access my second floor room. After lugging our suitcases down a dirty hallway we realized there was no elevator in sight and, with the help of a very nice handy man, carried our stuff to the second floor. The key card took several tries to work, to the point we thought we had the wrong room. This problem continued throughout our stay. The room was clean and had nice decor, the bathroom newly renovated, the beds comfortable. Our biggest complaint with the room was the heater under the window that clack-clack-clacked all night! In walking to the restaurant through long narrow corridors, we found a single elevator near the front of the building--couldn't the clerk have told us this on check-in? The new carpet in the halls is probably a step up from the past but the patterns are blocks of wavy stripes-large and small alternating-that is kind of distracting. Maybe they are trying to keep your eye away from the rest of the run down corridor? We had lunch and breakfast and it was the one bright spot of our stay. Although the restaurant decor was dated, the food was very good, well priced and the waitresses were attentive and pleasant. All in all, only stay here if you are willing to accept dated decor and poor layout for a more reasonable rate for this area. I believe they are only in business due to the large need for rooms to accommodate visiting college parents for Cornell and Ithaca.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room near the front of the building.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I travel a lot (mostly work-related) and I have stayed in several "affordable" hotels (the government organization doesn't like to reimburse us for "fancy" hotels) and this one was definitely one of the worst EVER! First time in my life I saw beer bottles outside half of the rooms! The rooms were moist, the bedding was old, the bathroom was not clean, the baseboards were dirty, the breakfast was tasteless (really; I am not kidding; everything from bagels to tea to milk tasted like water! I am curious who their food suppliers are). One morning I saw a group of G.I. outside the hotel (it seemed they were put in the hotel the night before their deployment to a mission or something...) Anyway, long story short, stay away from this place! The only good thing I can say about it is that there is a shuttle to the Cornell Univ campus.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Wow. So I am a native Ithacan. I've been away for a number of years and we came back for a few weeks to visit family. We picked this hotel because it used to have a good reputation. It was very disappointing. The staff was exceedingly rude, the room was filthy, and the beds were in terrible condition. It smelled, it was run down, and did I mention the staff was rude? After we left I wrote the manager and he gave us lip service stating that he would speak with the obnoxious woman at the front desk. I'm sure this never happened. I hurt my back in the bed and was down for two days. And, the bathroom was SO scary I would walk to the common bathroom near the pool every time I had to go. It just was so dirty and in such a state of disrepair. Also, I didn't like how we were given "special" rooms because we brought dogs. Special, in this case, meant disgusting an in bad shape. There were candy wrappers under the desk of things we didn't bring, there was an impressive dead fly collection on the windowsill, and the cobwebs on the ceiling were enormous. It's just a filthy rat trap run by people who just don't care.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Ithaca Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!