“Dirty hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Danbury, CT
“Dirty hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

This hotel was recommended as one of the hotels to stay at while in town for a wedding....Very surprised at how run down it was. Hallway was filthy. Room had awful, stale smell. Carpet felt wet. Bed spread dirty. Shower had terrible water preasure. It is unlikely I will be in Ithaca again any time soon, but if so, I would definitely find another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saratoga Springs, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My business reservation at another hotel got lost and I was desperate for a room. All hotels in the area were booked due to the recent flood victims taking up occupancy in the area hotels. This was the only hotel to have a vacancy- now I know why. Hallways were filthy- not vacuumed and lined with trays of left over food. Shower didn't work properly, toilet ran on and off all night. Molding was peeling off the walls and my carpet had not been vacuumed. THere was a "pardon our appearance letter" on the dresser explaining they were redoing the carpet in the halls. THis doesn't mean you don't ever clean.The old TV got fuzzy reception
and the heater was loud and rumbling. It didn't feel safe to stay here as a single woman and I barricaded myself in. Certainly not worth $150. Next time I'l feel safer and cleaner sleeping in my car. Don't understand why this hotel is allowed to carry the Ramada name.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Penrith
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

The ramada at Ithaca is being renovated and when this is completed it will be good but the corridors were smelly and scruffy. Our friends' room smelled of cat urine, it allows pets in rooms. The staff at breakfast were wonderful as were the breakfasts themselves,especially the Sunday buffet.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first, it may be one of the ones waiting to be renovated.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
long island, new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Due to heavy flooding and damage in Vermont, we decided on Ithaca for their Brewers Festival. We booked this hotel in a matter of 30 minutes, after finding out our other hotel cancelled reservations due to damage to the surrounding areas. We needed rooms for 11 people, so, not easy last minute.

Ramada was very helpful in getting us all rooms for our designated nights. Upon arrival, I had all of the previous posts in the back of my mind, but, figured I'd have my own opinions. Check in was smooth and we were told we can pull around the back to get into our rooms. Expecting to find a "Key-Card" entrance we were ready, however, the door was practically wide open. So, to say the least, the security was awful. Anyone from off the street could walk in to any of these doors making for a very unsafe situation.

The hallways were very dim and old looking. The room had a bit of a "Musty" smell to it, but, my wife went to Target and got one of those timed Air Fresheners, no problems then. We found the bed to be comfortable, the AC kept it cold. Bathroom needs a lot of updating.

One of the best things about the hotel was the outsie pool, which is open from 11-9. We pretty much had the pool to ourselves, and were able to drink beers by the pool, we made sure to bring Solo cups. The pool could have been skimmed, but, its a very nice sized pool and plenty of chairs for us.

Location of the hotel is great. A 15 minute drive, if that, will get you into the Commons area of Ithaca using either Rt 13 , or Cayuga Heights Road. Getting to the many vineyards and breweries is also very easy from this location.

There are several suggestions, and one would be the security issue of all the doors being unlocked to gain entrance to the hotel. That should be the first thing to be worked on by the owners. If customers don't feel safe, they are not going there.

Overall, yes, there were some issues with the hotel, but, if I had to, I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

All hotels were booked due to Nascar. There was a room available for $150 night, and so not worth it. The rugs are dirty and frayed, wall paper is peeling everywhere. There is dust everywhere. The housekeeping staff consists of young woman, who are very busy texting. I have yet to hear a vacuum running on my floor. The doors in the back are ALL UNLOCKED, SO THIS GETS PRETTY CREEPY AT NIGHT when coming in to the room and walking down a long darl dirty hallway by yourself. Anyone off the street can be in there hiding out and you know, no one would hear a thing. The restaurant is the best thing-good food. Staff seems to be a little "slow". Location is good-huge mall right down the street and lots of eating choices. I WOULD NOT come back here. NOT worth $150 night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Hillsdale, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I will be honeest, I have stayed here more than once even though I don't think much of it. The location is great for Cornell and there are really no good choices in the area. There really is no reason for the owner to fix it up because the competition (especially on that side of Cornell) is even worse.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Shohola, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The layers of dust on fake plants and trees in the lobby should have been our first clue. The layout of this hotel is a nightmare, we couldn't find our room, but in searching for it got to see walls and walls of ripped wallpaper through the hallways. The bathroom was disgustingly filthy. I observed the bed had zip up bed covers on the mattress and boxspring. When we returned to the front desk to tell them we wouldn't be staying there afterall, I mentioned the bed covers and inquired if there was a bed bug problem and was told, "We haven't had any complaints in a few months. I asked for the manager who identified himself as Dan Witko and told him "Outdated I can understand, filth I can not."
He replied, "Obviously we can't please you" and walked away. In the lobby I tried to use my laptop to locate another hotel and the wireless system was out. I was told, "That happens sometimes." The front desk clerk was helpful and kind in finding another hotel in the area. The rest of the staff we encountered were ridiculously inhospitable. What a nightmare!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Ithaca Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!