“Really disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ithaca, New York
“Really disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went here for the first time with some out-of-town friends on a summer Saturday. I called ahead because members of our party of five have some sensory issues with loud, clatter-y restaurants and having never been here I wanted to get a sense of whether it was appropriate. The woman answering the phone was very warm, very nice, and assured me that it was a small restaurant and there would be no trouble hearing conversation over the table.

She was right about the size but wrong about the noise. When we were seated at 6:30 after the minimal wait we were promised, things were not too bad but about 20 minutes later the music got cranked up, and as the place filled (half of it is a bar) the noise level was such that the people in our party next to or across from each other had difficulty hearing each other, and those at the diagonal end of the tables, forget it.

This might have been offset by great service or food but unfortunately we got neither. The server was very indifferent and had a "whatever" kind of attitude. Strangely, there were pieces of colored chalk on the banquette seating as we went to sit down, luckily nobody sat on one. Also were some pieces on the table. Even though this was pointed out to the server we needed to remove them ourselves--still not sure why they were there.

Our party of 5 ordered a variety of dishes; including appetizer, soups and main dishes. The gazpacho and fish bisque were good; the smashed red bliss potatoes very good; and the green beans were perfectly cooked. Otherwise, the steak sandwich had a very small piece of flavorless steak; the WIC burger was OK but not the BBQ sauce; the artichoke souffle a disappointment. My daughter ordered the fish and chips, which we were told had two substantial size fish fillets. It turned out that there were two sticks of tasteless tilapia encased in a very brown underseasoned breading with some scorch marks. Either the fish was fried for too long or the oil seriously needed to be changed.

Similarly, my Montre Chicken, advertised as "pan-fried" which to me conjured up an image of a plump & juicy piece of chicken with the described 'red wine lemon caper demi'. The chicken came back looking like the fish--a heavy coating fried to a very stiff dark brown with charred edges--again, too long in the pan or dirty oil. The worst part was that the breading was thicker than the chicken! I hate that....It had a few pieces of scallions and capers thrown on top. The sauce was eh.

At the end of the meal we were asked about desserts--"there's only one--hot fudge sundae".

Bill came to $110.

It was kind of embarrassing to bring company to this place, and I would not return.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Elmer, New Jersey
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We had originally placed our name on the waiting list at another restaurant. Tired of waiting, we decided to dine at the Blue Stone Grill, and we were so glad we did. The food was delicious, unique and affordable. Our server, Asia, was charming and very helpful. We certainly will dine there again if we visit the area in the future.

Visited June 2012
“Don't eat here, but good for cocktails”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

Terrible terrible terrible food. The pasta chicken dish was hideous, pasta was cold and looked like it had been waiting around in the kitchen for a while. The chicken was totally burned, as if they hadn't cleaned their grill in years. Catfish with plantain was greasy and undercooked. The pizza was black and the sauce tasted like pure tomato paste. The cocktails and appetizers were good, but not good enough to make up for the rest of this hideous disaster. Do not eat here unless you're starving, all the other restaurants in the world are closed and there is no road kill nearby to munch on.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brooktondale, New York
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

First visit to the the Blue Stone will be our last. We visited for dinner one evening. We came in at the end of the "rush-hour". We started with the bacon wrapped scollops. We found the portion to be small (4) and overcooked, the bacon was charcol. My husband's burger was good and he enjoyed it. I ordered a salad with crab cakes. First, the salad dressing was pure oil.... it had no spices or flavor, just oil. The crab cakes followed the scollops lead, they too were burnt. Could not eat them at all. Additionally we had ordered a margarita. While the flavor of the drink was excellent, how it was served was almost deadly. When I took a sip from the straw, I sucked up a toothpick. I was lucky it did not get stuck in my throat. When we told the waitress about what happened, she dismissed it and never even apologized. How that got in the straw leaves me to wonder if that was a clean straw (it was not presented with a wrapper), or even if it was a clean glass. We were never given an apology for the substandard and over priced food or the attack on my wind pipe. We willl NEVER eat there again!!!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Valencia, Spain
“Good for drinks, so-so food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have been here for drinks a few times and enjoyed it. However, eating here I have had mediocre food at best. My tuna was very over cooked and not worth what I paid.

Visited June 2011