“very pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Economy Inn Ithaca

Economy Inn Ithaca
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Economy Inn Ithaca
658 Elmira Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850   |
Ranked #16 of 19 hotels in Ithaca
Appleton, Wisconsin
“very pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was another busy weekend in Ithaca, who knew, and we could not find a room anywhere. Yes the the Holiday Inn had a room in the old part for $220 for one night but I was not about to pay the price for a one night's sleep. Could not find a B&B either. What we did find was Economy Inn for $80 still had a room, I was very sceptical because of the phone call (hard to understand the owner as he was eastern Indian but he turner out to be very nice and very freindly), the name of the place and the cost (after all what do you get for a $80.00/night stay). Well as I said I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, furniture was worn around the edges (but not broken, this is not the Hilton), the bed was comfortable (pillows sucked), the bathroom and shower (no tub) were small but very clean and updated, water for shower was very good and hot. There was even fairly new clean working small refrig and microwave at no extra charge, There was cable TV that work great and free WIFI. A little noisy since it is right off Hwy 13 but we did not find that to be a problem. For the cost I think this was a great place to stay if you are not looking for swimming pool, exercise room, and free breakfast and I would highly recommend it and would stay here again. I think that since previous reviews this hotel is under new management and has been painted and "updated". I have stayed in many chain hotels that had great ratings and cost twice that were as nice as this and many times not worth the money. Hope this helps you decide.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

These people treated me in a way that was unbearable. There's a scrounging, mean attitude. Like the time I ran out of toilet paper. I looked around & there was no spare roll. Presumably to save a dollar now and then, since someone might decide to steal a spare roll ... So I had to go to the office in a dirty state and ask them for more toilet paper.
I stayed there three days, and they seemed to decide towards the end that it was OK to be intrusive and overbearing. The guy let himself into my room before I had checked out - I came back to find the door open and him doing something in there. One thing a motel room is FOR, is privacy! While you rent it, that space is supposed to be private space. He kept on wanting to barge in there, to replace towels or whatever; addressed me over this or that when I went out into the parking lot. One time I went out, leaving my window open; he comes up to me and says "Your window's open!" I tell him I'm airing the room out; so then he tells me to close it when I go to sleep.
I wasn't planning to sleep with the window open. You wouldn't want to there, because of the road noise. But if I did want to leave the window open, surely that would be my business.
They're very in-your-face. I went to the office at 9 PM to ask them to dispose of some garbage (which had mold in it so I couldn't leave it in my room overnight). So the woman grouchily does so, then she tells me the carpet was too messy in my room! It was all dry stuff on the carpet, which couldn't have taken them more than a couple minutes extra to vacuum up. I'd spilled some dry grain accidentally. I couldn't believe she would make an issue of it. (what would these people do if you got peanut butter on the carpet? Call the police?) She asked me what I was doing in my room, and what the little grains were. Within reason, it's my own business what I do in my room.
It's more of the scrounging, mean attitude. Their idea seems to be that this is an "economy" place, therefore they can harass you with trivial complaints and control you in irritating ways.
You have to call the office to get your phone set so you can make outside calls - another petty annoyance. Why don't they just turn the phone on when you move in? Another save-a-few-pennies economy?
The toilet valve apparently leaked sometimes, so the water would run a bit to fill up the tank, now and then - which makes noise. I had to shut off the water supply to the toilet so it wouldn't bother me.
It's close enough to Rt. 13 so I needed to wear earplugs to sleep.
And the wireless internet was horrible. The signal quality was very bad, so you can't connect a lot of the time, and the internet connection kept shutting off. I guess they got some kind of "Economy" wireless that doesn't work well.
There are a lot of motels just outside Ithaca city limits, that are cheaper. I think they can charge less because they don't pay Ithaca taxes. The trick seems to be to find one where they treat you well and with respect.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My family and I stayed there because I had orientation at Ithaca College. The hotel is run out of what is basically someone’s home. The lady who runs it runs it out of her house. There was no free continental breakfast or internet as promised when we booked it. There was no breakfast at all; we had to beg her for coffee from her own pot brewing in her home. The only good thing about the room was the free cable. The beds were alright; clean but could be cleaner. The bathroom however was not clean. The shower of gross and so was the toilet. The phone in the room did not work. The noise from the highway was bad. Overall cheap--(but should be cheaper for what you get) and bearable if that's all you can afford.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Many things about Ithaca bring pleasure to the visitor but the accommodation prices can be a turnoff: this is a small city with two very large educational institutions, so demand often excedes supply and prices climb. On a previous visit, wife and I had stayed at the suburban Grayhaven Motel (see my review of same) and felt that the price far exceeded what the place was worth.

However, while at Grayhaven, we noticed a small property right across the road that appeared to be clean and serviceable. Now, after a three nights stay at Economy Inn, I can confirm that it is just that--adequately clean, serviceable, and a bargain rate.

Economy Inn shares some of the same negatives as Grayhaven: rather worn about the edges; rather musty--think rustic cabin here; and rather too close to traffic noise from Route 13. But at rates that are much lower ($55 and this in high season) these shortcomings are more readily forgiven.

Our room furnishings were satisfactory--even such mod cons as a mini frig, hairdryer, ironing equipment--the mattress firm, and the bathroom (miniscule, shower stall only, no tub) was clean.

There are no eating places in the immediate vicinity but a ten minute drive gets you to a great breakfast at the State Diner and a further couple of minutes would have you right in the heart of downtown with its wealth of dining around Ithaca Commons.

• Liked — bargain price
  • Disliked — mustiness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

On our way to Canada we stayed one night. Really not much to do in Ithaca.

The grounds were minimally kept. The room was beat up and the bathroom shower had soap scum on the floor. When you pay $78 + 13% tax and fees, you can expect minimal, but this was low class.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Economy Inn Ithaca? Share your experiences!