“Friendly staff and location make up for lack of "zip" in room” 3 of 5 stars

Moosewood Package!
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Syracuse, New York
“Friendly staff and location make up for lack of "zip" in room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel is really well situated in downtown Ithaca. Great to get out and walk around, close to restaurants and shopping, down the hill from Cornell, convenient parking across the street. Staff is helpful and welcoming. They gladly changed our room when we asked for something away from the elevator. There is a bar/restaurant and morning breakfast if you choose. Also a starbucks in the hotel. Room had a fridge. These are the pluses.

Room was musty smelling and our "king" bed really wasn't. The bathroom shower needed to be bleached or regrouted - some mildew spots apparent. The maid service was less than stellar, forgot to replace glasses, didn't empty and change the icebucket liner and didn't refold towels. I'm not saying the room was dirty but the attention to detail here didn't jive with the lobby staff and service. These little things do make a difference. If these changes were made I'd give the Very Good rating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your kind words and constructive feedback. We appreciate your input on the level of detail and quality of our housekeeping staff and we will surely pass this information along so we can work to improve this aspect of our service. We are glad to have met your needs for comfort and location in the area and hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels return you to Ithaca in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wilmington, DE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my second time calling trying to get clarity about a lottery system set up for guests during Cornell Univerisity graduation in 2014. The manager I spoke with was quite rude and according to some of the previous messages on TripAdvisor this is not her first time. She stated her name was Melissa [--] and essentially told me that it doesn't matter that I'm a HHonors member when staying at this location. Really? So, myself and the company I work for spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year using Hilton instead of the comepetition when we travel and it doesn't matter? Her response was 50% of the parents of graduates are HHonors member. (who says that?) My response was than 50% of the parents/family should have preference. Some type of professional development or customer service training needs to be given to her when speaking to customers on what is appropiate and what's not. If you are unable to explain or talk in a non condescending voice than maybe you should forward the call to your manager or the GM.

I understand the purpose of trying to streamline the amount of guests during a busy time but a lottery system that doesn't provide preference to HHonors silver, gold and diamond members? Whose idea was that and how do you employ customer service to loyal Hilton guests? Well, Melissa thought she would "educate" me by saying the Hilton Garden Inn in Ithaca is not owned by Hilton. Yes, that was a Managers answer to this problem. I started to explain franchising but decided I needed to speak with her manager or atleast someone who makes decisions because clearly she doesn't. Eventually, I was forwarded to a voicemail of another manager, Melissa [--] and waiting for a call back. I hope the GM or whoever responds on here can provide clarity and explain why the best option to solve a busy hotel season was to potentially deny HHonors members the ability to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca on 01/10/2013. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and I do want you to know that Melissa is not a manager. I had sent you an e-mail on Jan 10th at 3:39 pm explaining why a lot of the hotels in this area use a lottery system.
Because the two colleges are such a high demand weekends this policy has been in place for many years to give everyone a fair and equal chance. Our hotel is sold out a year in advance for any of the college weekends. On June 1st our lottery will open for the 2014 graduation. Guests wanting to get into the lottery need to call the hotel or stop by and fill out the lottery form. By July 15Th we do a fair and equal chance drawing and inform the winning guest by email, a contract will then go out requiring a non-refundable deposit.; in fact almost all the hotels have the same lottery policy’s as we do.
If you have any further questions regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me directly at 607-277-8900
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location right on the Ithaca Commons area. The parking is a little quirky. You use the high rise garage for free which is a block BEFORE the hotel. So after you stop out front you have to back around the block. But after that you can walk to a variety of places for dinner. Get a room high up on the east side of the building for a nice view.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, NY. Also, thank you for the Trip Advisor posting regarding your experience during your recent stay. I will be sharing your review with the entire staff as we take great pride in providing our guests with an excellent product and services.
Liverpool, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

On our 30th anniversary tour and I lost my wedding band at the hotel. I was in the fitness center and tied it to my shoelace so i didn't damage it lifting weights. To make a long story short, halfway to Toronto, I noticed my ring was missing and panicked. I had untied my sneakers and forgot about the ring.

I called the hotel and talked to Ian at the front desk. He said he'd get right on it.
Well, we got about 50 miles further and I just had to pull over and find out the results. I called the hotel and asked to speak with the manager. Ian answered and asked if I was the guy with the missing ring. He said "I have it in my hand." WHEW!

Needless to say, they could have made some extra holiday cash, but they took the high road and got my ring back to me.

A great place to stay. Especially room 842! What a view!

Thanks to the staff!

Room Tip: ask for room 842.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We appreciate all of your advice and tips on our hotel. I am so glad we were able to find your wedding ring and get it back you. I know how I would feel if I had lost my wedding ring. We are very happy to be able to accommodate you. I am going to share your review with all of our departments and again, thank you for all that you wrote. Hopefully we will see you back at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ithaca on your next trip. Happy travels to you.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night. The room was comfortable and the beds were cozy. Amenities are available in the lobby. The last time we stayed at this hotel breakfast was included. However, this time one had to purchase a breakfast plan that is intended for two persons. However, there were three in our party so we declined. We then ate breakfast in a bagel restaurant across the street. Parking is conveniently located across the street and is free. Valet parking is also available. We would definitely stay at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: All room are located from the 6th to the 9th floor and are very quiet. All rooms have excellent view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, NY. Ithaca has many great places to see. And being located across from the Commons makes for a central location for guests to stay and enjoy all that Ithaca has to offer. We hope you will continue to use Hilton Garden Inns as your lodging of choice.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Centrally located in downtown Ithaca, close to restaurants and the Commons, this hotel is sure to be a popular choice of business travellers. I found the room less than comfortable -- bathroom was small and could have used an update; lacking humidity (in late November) made the room unusually dry, staticy; additionally, some dtreet noise could be heard in the early morning as nearby bars began closing, water from other nearby rooms' toilet function could be heard at all hours. Smaller annoyances (which tend to add up when travelling on business): the television reception was poor, necessitating a call to maintenance and a cabel changed; the bedside phone required that the cord be held into the handset in order to function without disconnection. When booking directly with Hilton, as I did, note that breakfast buffet is about $10 (sans gratuity) if not included in your room rate. Valet parking was effortless, efficient, and inexpensive. Overall, average value but likely one of the better properties available in central Ithaca.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and feedback in regards to the items needing attention in your room. I've alerted our maintenance team to fix the issues, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We are currently working on additional soundproofing measures and hope this will cut down on the noise issues you encountered. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in town and invite you back to stay with us the next time you return to the area for an improve experience.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my third time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ithaca and each time it has been fantastic. The hotel is practically brand new and is well-maintained. The rooms are spacious and what you'd expect from a Hilton Garden Inn. The staff was tremendously helpful, from Melissa, one of the managers who assisted with my reservations to Lisa who checked me in, they made sure I was comfortable and aware of the amenities offered by the hotel. During this particular visit, the City of Ithaca had closed the garage for maintenance, so they told me exactly where to park. Fortunately, I didn't have to use my car much, so it was not an inconvenience for me, but they had a shuttle to get me what I needed. One of my favorite aspects from the hotel is that there's a 24 hour "pantry" in the lobby so you don't even have to leave the property to get what you need.

I come to Ithaca at least once a year and whenever I'm in town, there is no question that I'll be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca? Share your experiences!