“Are you looking for great accommodations near restaurants and a short drive to Cornell? Stay here.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here at least a dozen times over the last four years and have never had a complaint. The staff are friendly and helpful and actually remember us. The rooms are nicely decorated, spacious enough, and clean, the beds are comfortable, and you can't beat the hotel's convenience and value. You're in walking distance of Simeon's and Mahogany Grill and there's a Starbucks right in the building.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca. I will be sharing your review with the entire staff as we take great pride in providing our guests with an excellent product and services.

We hope you will continue to use Hilton Garden Inns as your lodging of choice, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Ithaca

Jerry A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012 via mobile

I was very disturbed to find what appeared to be minute blood stains and several dessicated bedbug carcasses on the bedding when I opened the curtains in the morning. I hadn't noticed them the evening before, probably due to the low lighting from the room lights. Neither my wife nor I had any bites, but we did discover several more carcasses around the edges of the bathroom floor. Since neither of us had any bites, I suspect they have an active control program. Follow up should include a more thorough inspection of the room. If management wishes to look, it was room 738.

• Stayed January 2012
It is with great concern that I am writing this reply to your review. I am absolutely astonished that this is the first time I am hearing anything about this. We utilize regular room inspections with a pest control company and all rooms are treated as a preventive measure as well as having my entire housekeeping staff trained to monitor for bed bugs that can be brought in by guests. As the Hotel General Manager, I go above and beyond my competitors to ensure that my staff is trained and our rooms are inspected every time a guest checks out . I'd love to talk with you further, and I certainly would welcome a phone call at any time to discuss this issue.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

When traveling for business or pleasure, I prefer Hilton properties. The Ithaca Hilton is superb. Terrific, helpful and caring staff. Top notch hotel! Good restaurants.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Jerry A
Chappaqua, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn has the best location of all of the Ithaca hotels: just across from the Commons, an outdoor pedestrian shopping/dining destination. The hotel was constructed in the 2000s in a mixed-use office/hotel development right in downtown Ithaca.

The lobby is completely barren; everything is white. You aren't expecting much as you enter the elevators to your rooms. However, once you arrive upstairs, you'll find your standard, clean Hilton Garden Inn rooms that you expect from the brand. Flat-screen TVs, full bathrooms with individual bottles of soap, dresser, and complimentary coffee and tea are among the amenities included. Some rooms have beautiful views of Ithaca, while others overlook downtown areas. A small seating area can be found at the end of each hallway.

The hotel is one of the few that features a fitness center as well as an indoor pool. There is an onsite restaurant, and, depending on what kind of mood reception is in, sometimes it is included for Hilton HHonors members, and sometimes it is additional. Likewise, HHonors guests typically receive bottles of water for free as well. There is also a Starbucks in the building.

This is the only hotel in Ithaca that offers indoor parking for free at the garage next door. Some people complain about the location of the garage because you must drive around the block to get to the entrance; however, this is truly not an issue. Valet parking is also available for an additional cost, and, in our opinion, is not worth it.

Many great shops and restaurants are within walking distance. Ithaca College and Cornell are each a 10 minute drive away.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is my second review of the property based on our second visit. While I still stand by my earlier review that this hotel is adequate and convenient, in light of the shortcomings we had experienced during our first visit last summer and how poorly we were treated this time, I would not recommend this hotel and leave so much to chance. I find it especially ironic that the general manager has posted here several times saying how much he appreciates people's comments and cares about their comfort, yet he never responded to our unfortunate experience.

We arrived to an overbooked hotel and were put in a room which was filthy with smoke odors. This in spite of my having advised them at the time of reservations that I had extreme allergies and would need a non-smoking room and was told it would not be a problem. They did explain that the hotel was very full and they could not guarantee bedding, but the non-smoking would not be an issue. When we asked the front desk for a different room, we were told that there were only a few rooms left to be checked into, and the manager had left strict instructions that none of us be moved. The best they could do was try to find us a room at another hotel - no easy feat in light of it being Parents Weekend at one of the colleges and everything having been booked for several weeks already. As it is, there are very few hotels in Ithaca and nothing else in town where we were. It was also getting quite late into the evening and we had to be some place and did not have time to deal with this. When we asked to speak with a manager, we were told there was no on there and we would have to wait until morning.

We found it terribly rude that a manager would leave specific instructions not to move us and not even have a manager with any authority on duty on a night they knew they would encounter problems as a result of being overbooked. Most disturbing is that I contacted in writing both the General Manager and Assistant Manager at the hotel, as well as Hilton Honors and after more than two weeks no one has had the courtesty to even respond. I did get a "standard" reply from Hilton Honors customer service saying that they like to give their hotels the chance to respond directly and I would hear back in three business days. In all fairness, I thought I would give them a chance to respond before posting my review here, but after waiting for more than two weeks for a response, it seems pretty clearl that they don't care.

We did manage to make other arrangements for ourselves (at great cost and inconvenience), but with service like this one would have to worry about depending on this hotel. Aside from the convenience of the location, the hotel is fairly mediocre in terms of the comfort of the rooms (bare bones with problematic HVAC) and the food offerings (which were awful). Unfortunately, this hotel seems to count on the fact that the lodging choices are very slim in Ithaca to maintian its business rather than to care about providing its guests with a good product and service.

Even if I could put up with the mediocrity of the hotel, the fact that they are so unreliable and indifferent would make me vary wary of booking a stay with or recommending them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the management and staff for the difficulties you encountered during your recent stay. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our managers. We strive to make each guests' stay with us pleasant, comfortable and enjoyable. I would like to talk with you about this issue; I have sent you an e-mail explaining why we could not change your request, as you said the hotel is sold out way in advance. I have updated your profile with your preference for future stays. The phone number on file we have must be wrong because we have called and left messages. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the high quality of accommodations and services which can be expected at the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca. Please call the Assistant General Manager, or me, the next time you are traveling to Ithaca, as we would like to extend a special rate to you. Thank you!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here with my 4 year old son the first week of November 2011. The hotel lobby impresses immediately when you walk in. Every staff person I encountered was pleasant and polite, but not overly so. However, for some reason that I still have not quite put my finger on, I did not feel any great sense of warmth here. There was no single factor that detracted from the experience but no 'wow' factor either. That said I was surprised that for the price there were lots of minor state-of-repair issues in our room - a fairly pricey corner suite; things that were very obvious, could easily be fixed, but were clearly ignored by staff. On balance though, there are lots of positives. Our room was comfortable despite the repair issues. The location was fantastic for us as we were in town for an event at the State Theater (BEAUTIFUL THEATER...but I'll stick to reviewing the hotel!). It is a short drive to the Wegman's grocery store - an attraction in and of itself that should not be missed (unbelievable selection of freshly prepared food).

I guess my overall impression is that the hotel is slightly above average and unlikely to be a disappointment to most travellers, though not all that memorable for a frequent traveller and would likely be considered somewhat overpriced if not for the fact that it is the only really good option in downtown Ithaca, so the market obviously will bear a higher price than might otherwise be the case if a decent competitor emerged.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel half a dozen times in the last several months, and each time, my stay has been 110% pleasant. The front desk personnel are always, without exception, friendly, welcoming and helpful, and the rooms have always been clean and comfortable. The rooms must also be very sound-proof since I've never been disturbed by noise from other guests, and the beds are soooo comfortable! As a HHonors member, I've been upgraded to a suite twice (without asking) - very nice. The rooms always have plenty of towels and toiletries and feature a microwave and small refrigerator, which has been very convenient. I've never used it, but the hotel does have what looks like a nice indoor pool.

The location is perfect - right in downtown Ithaca across the street from Ithaca Commons, within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants; the hotel is also just a few minutes' drive to Cornell University and Ithaca College. The parking garage is just across the street, and the front desk will validate your ticket, so parking is free. Since I travel frequently to Ithaca, this hotel has become my home away from home, and I always look forward to my stays here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca? Share your experiences!