“Good food with a few issues” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Italian, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Watkins Glen, New York
“Good food with a few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stopped here around 4pm. There were people at the bar - but no one at the hostess desk. Waited approximately 4-5 minutes before any staff came to seat me. Ordered the Bourbon Chicken and then the Bourbon Shrimp to go. Both were quite tasty - but I would honestly order the sauce on the side and add my own as they are VERY generous with the marinade, and although it is tasty - it flooded the plate. I ordered the Shrimp to go with sweet potato fries and when I got it home for my husband - we discovered they were regular fries. Don't get me wrong the fries were also tasty, but my husband prefers sweet potato fries - that is why I ordered them. We also had the Caesar Salad as well - again - would recommend getting the dressing on the side as they add quite a bit - and some of the lettuce was rotted - not a huge deal as I just did not eat that. Service once I was seated was quick. And the food very good - just would again recommend sauces on the side - so you can taste the meat or the rice too. Check out was easy. The restaurant is conveniently located - seemed clean and staff was mediocre - nice but not overly attentive. I left without even being noticed I think. Would I go back - yes. Would it be my first choice - not necessarily - but the food was good, and the restaurant seemed nice. Have to work on the service issues to be outstanding though. All in all - I would give it a B or B- - but would not be averse to eating there again if in the area.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cortland, NY
“Salad Bar with Plenty of Choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We enjoyed lunch here on a recent week day. It was not busy-but there were people in the restaurant. We have dined here several times, and the quality of food seems to remain about the same.
The French Onion Soup is spectacular. Add in the salad bar and the meal is a more than satisfying lunch. There are so many toppings for the salad. There is also a "hot" portion of the salad bar which has meat, potatoes, pasta, etc. In the past there has been pizza-but did not see it on this particular visit. I only had the cold salads, but enjoyed the fact that there were so many delicious additions.
Others in the party enjoyed Chicken Chimichanga and Pot Roast dinner. They enjoyed their choices.
Our waitress was nice, but did not seem to know very much when asked about food choices. She may have been new, but she seemed to say she had been there a little while. She needed a couple reminders to bring us some parts of our meal. Not a big deal-just a mention.
Overall, I will return, as it is an easy place to get into and have a decent meal for either lunch or dinner.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cortland, New York
“Perfect Sandwiches for a Light Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had the french dip and it was superb! It comes with an order of fries, but I ordered it with garlic fries instead of regular, and they hot, fresh, and perfectly seasoned. My friend had the open face steak sandwich which was cooked perfectly and the regular fries were great too! The only complaint was that even though the place wasn't very busy, the service was rather slow. My water glass stayed empty for quite a while. Very nice laid back atmosphere, and definitely a wide variety of options on their menu, so a group could go here and everyone would be able to find something they liked.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“Some of the best onion soup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

and a credible salad bar. Prices are good, food not too imaginative but dependably tasty and great service. Have been coming here for 10 years and never had a bad time.

Visited June 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Food was ok. Scallops and mushrooms good. Service was nice and people at the bar were sociable. Nice salad bar offering.

Visited May 2014