“Cajun Fun” 4 of 5 stars

(607) 272-4136
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 241 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Seafood, Bar, Oyster Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Late Night
“Cajun Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were in from out of town, and looking for a place to eat on a Friday during Lent, so no meat. We found Maxie's and were not disappointed. I had the blacked catfish and my wife had traditional fish and chips. Both were very good. We also had some fried oysters, which were flash fried and very tender. A fun spot and a good meal. One tip: if you don't mind eating a bit late, it seems to empty out a bit after 8:30, so you can avoid the wait if you eat late.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Munich, Germany
“Cajun and Oysters Galor!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Dined twice at Maxies within one week. The first time was with a large table. Food and service were spot on and very friendly. The next visit was on a Monday when they offer special wine deals and I enjoyed a few plates of oysters and some fried chicken. They have got it down great. Keep it up Maxies!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, New York
“What Happened?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been Maxie's fans for many years but hadn't been for a while. Since we now have two small children we decided to go early last evening (Wednesday) while the students were still out of town. We were happy to see that they weren't too busy. Sadly, quick seating was the highlight.

We started out with drinks and Fried Green Tomato appetizer. I had a glass of wine and my husband ordered a Beck's from the beer list. Neither of us realized but the Beck's was NA (our mistake) Usually NA is listed in a seperate location on a drink menu. They took it back with no problem, apparently this has happened before since the server that switched it said "oh your server didn't point that out?" It later showed up on our bill, we asked that they remove it and they did.

The Fried Green Tomatoes had an odd taste to them. I think they may use nutmeg , I wasn't sure but I wasn't crazy about it. We ate them anyway. My husband had a cajun spiced Black and Blue Burger which was cooked perfectly but he said it wasn't as good as he remembered and I felt the same way about the Gumbo. It was fine but just something not quite right. The biggest disappointment was the R,W,B Slaw which in the past was the first thing I'd think of when going to Maxies. The amount of vinager in it was overwhelming and had almost zero blue cheese, it was practically inedible and my lips were burning after only a couple of bites. I asked the server if they changed the recipe and told her what the problem was, she said she didn't think so and apologized. I wouldn't have accepted but it would have been a nice gesture to offer another side.

On the bright side the kid's loved their food and bonus the kid's meals on Wednesday were only $2.

In general I think the overall feel and service has slipped slightly. Service wasn't awful, it just wasn't what it used to be. I also had to ask for beads for the kids which doesn't sound like a big deal (big selling point for our kids) but it was just in addition to the other things. Again just not like it used to be. Eventually we will probably make our way back but not for a long while. We hope that they aren't starting down the same slippery slope that many restaurants do.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dalton, Massachusetts
“Great dinner at Maxie's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great menu, everything delicious and fast service! Liked the atmosphere. Will definitely visit again!

Visited November 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Pretty good food, terrible wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I didn't expect to find any southern food--particularly Cajun--in Ithaca. I thought the oysters were good but the gumbo was average. I would go back but wouldn't rush there. The wait for dinner on Friday night was ridiculous.

• Visited December 2012