“Great local hangout” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 221 Restaurants in Ithaca
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Oyster Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Mineral Point, Wisconsin
“Great local hangout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I usually do not dine alone on vacation, but I was waiting for my partner to arrive in a few hours and the owners of my B&B said I would feel very comfortable there by myself. Even with the recommendation, I was still hesitant to go b/c I have been treated poorly in other places as a solo diner before. However, it was a good dining experience. They did all that a restauran featuring cajun-style seafood should do. I had their great rwb coleslaw (red white and blue coleslaw - red and white cabbage with blue cheese in a champagne dressing, I believe - the stuff is as addictive as crack), great wine and beer list (check out the wide selection of NY wines and beers) and my salmon was just right (root beer glzes/sauce was a bit gloopy for my taste, and too much of it, but the fish was cooked beautifully). The service was very good, attentive, but not obtrusive. Atmosphere was cozy. I didn't get dessert but many others did around me, and many of them to go. I would definitely recommend this if you want seafood in Ithaca.

Cortland, NY
“An enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

This is another one of those restaurants that you hear about so you have to try. I went hoping to have a good meal at a nice restaurant. I was not disappointed. The service was good. Our waitress was pleasant, attentive without being overbearing, and persuasive without being pushy. I had the shrimp and grits as an entree and would most definitely order them again. My dining companion had a fish po'boy and said he would order that again as well. As an appetizer we had the fried green tomatoes. They were excellent. The portions were just right. Enough to fill you up but not stuff you. We didn't have dessert but I wish we had saved a little room. The decor is great too. The color palette, furniture, and accessories all give off a great vibe that is comfortable and rich. I would recommend eating at Maxie's to anyone looking for a good dining experience.

Bergen, NY
“Great food - great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

Went to Maxie's during the Ithaca Loves Teachers promotion for two reasons - one - it looked like a neat place and two - we had a coupon for buy one dinner get one free - that was a deal too good to pass up.
When we entered we were told to enjoy something at the bar and there would be a table available in about 15 minutes. Sure enough in less than 15 minutes they were taking us to another room to our table.
Wait staff both at the bar and in restaurant area were very friendly. My husband had the jambalaya which was such a large portion we both had it the next day for lunch! Delicious! I had the pulled pork plate - pulled pork, coleslaw and southern style beans along with a square of cornbread. It was so good!! The portions were generous and the prices were very reasonable (even if we hadn't had the coupon!) They have a nice selection of Finger Lakes wines by the glass at the bar and then by the bottle in the dining room. We were too full to have dessert but the desserts we saw at the table next to ours looked fabulous so we did get a piece of chocolate raspberry torte cake to take back to the hotel to enjoy later that evening. I would definitely go back here the next time we are in Ithaca.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Tasty, but a bit on the...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

Tasty, but a bit on the pricey side

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook