“Very good!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Connecticut
“Very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I ate at the Carriage house four or five times this summer, and it was exceptional. Good strong coffee, friendly staff, excellent food, fantastic pancakes!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

ithaca
“best coffee in ithaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

best coffee, and food in ithaca. Quality local ingredients and atmosphere make for a delightful culinary experience. Comparing prices its really not any more pricey than other nice restaurants and they make everything from scratch down to the ketchup. You can't lose no matter what you eat there.

Milford, Connecticut
“Snobbish and over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

A rather unpleasant experience compared to other restaurants in Ithaca, mostly due to the staff's unfriendliness. The restaurant offers outdoor seating in a charming flower garden, but for some reason they do not serve outside. We offered to carry our own plates outside and back in but to no avail. The brunch food was good but not great, except perhaps for the French bread served as toast (unfortunately it came with a mound of half-melted butter on it). The coffee was mediocre. For the quality of the food, I found the prices rather high. Finally, the waitress categorically refused to split our check and rebuffed any attempt at compromise. We got the impression that their popularity somehow absolves them from client-mindedness.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, NY
“Overhyped Cafe with Bad Service, Mediocre Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

The Carriage House Cafe just doesn't live up to the hype of the other reviews. My wife and I have been living in Ithaca for a while now, and recently finally got around to going to the Carriage House Cafe. Inside the atmosphere is okay. Their outdoor seating is right next to their parking area, which doesn't seem very pleasant. The service is the worst part. We had to nag the waitress to bring us our orange juice (which isn't fresh squeezed, but rather the kind you can buy in the grocery store, as we saw the waitress pour it). In spite of a reminder, my coffee also never came. The food wasn't bad, but for the price they could have done a little more on the presentation. Needless to say what you see on their website isn't what you get. Talking to my friends here, my experience was hardly unique.

Ithaca boasts other cafes of the caliber that the Carriage House pretends to be, but all are of much higher quality. I'll never head back to the Carriage House.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, New York
“Best Breakfast/Brunch in Ithaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

I make a point of having breakfast at least once a month at Carriage House -- even just the simple plate of toast, eggs, and bacon is to die for. Now that they are on Twitter offering up some coupon codes for buy-one-get-one lunches, I've snuck out at lunch a couple of times too. I've never regretted a meal there, despite some big prices and long waits. Always worth it.

Oh, and best hot chocolate in town. Period. I almost always have two. Even in the summer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere