“Great, Fresh Tasting Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Ithaca, New York
“Great, Fresh Tasting Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Another favorite Ithaca restaurant of ours, located on the commons. I'm not sure how many times these poor people have to point out that they are in NO way afflilated with Taste of Thai Express (which is horrible BTW).

The food tastes fresh and the sauces are light and very flavorable (unlike the other larger Thai restaurant). We absolutely love the Taste of Thai Chicken. The service is good and the waitstaff is helpful. Takeout is easy and hassle free (other than parking near the commons).

My only complaint is that the portions are not terribly generous.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Northern Penna.
“Excellent flavors!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant and were extremely happy with our choice. We had good service and excellent food. I had the family recipe chicken and cashews which was some of the tastiest food i have ever been served! My wife had a ginger chicken and was also pleased. I also had the fried bananas for desert, the bananas were rolled up inside of a dough similar to egg roll and sweet and flavorful. Highly recommend this restaurant, go early as it got packed by the time we were leaving.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Freeville, New York
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great service and Great food! Decor is fair and it is quite cool inside in the summer, but I get cold easily. We go often for a weeknight dinner and love the tastes of the cuisine!

Visited October 2012
Utica, New York
“It's alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Taste of Thai has a "sister" restaurant--"Taste of Thai Express." I would visit the latter because there are differences in service, quantity and delivery. The ToT on The Commons is okay. We ordered pad thai, drunken noodle, curry, calamari, thai iced tea and drunken fried rice. The calamari was lightly fried with an incredible batter and sauce. The rest of the food was just okay and somewhat bland. I added the table spices to give my dish some flavour and that definitely made the noodles more savory. Other than the fried squid, no dish was really memorable. Also, the portions are pretty small. Taste of Thai Express serves larger portions to take home for lunch the next day. The service at ToT is okay; our waitress seemed to be in a fog or was an android. I couldn't tell. I stopped by later that week to pick-up a friend's lunch order during a weekday--it was pretty quiet and empty. However, it took 15 min. for me to receive service. They were talking and cleaning and neglected to really acknowledge me. They kept saying, "someone will be right with you." That someone never came, so eventually they did their job. The Express restaurant attempts to remember your name and offers meal suggestions. If possible, I would stick to the Express store on Meadow Street. The Commons Thai eatery is okay but so is a turkey sandwich at your house.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boulder
“Gummy & grimy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the Thai equivalent of a greasy diner. The whole place is worn out and dirty, grimy, carpets dingy. If bathrooms are any indication of a good restaurant, Taste of Thai bathrooms are disgusting.

Nothing delicate or nuanced about the cooking here. While maybe fast food worthy, dishes did not impress. All of our noodles were gummy, and sauces were gloppy and cloying. Everything else was either just OK or a bit disappointing Rama veggies were cooked nicely. The Pad Woon Sen chicken was tasteless, slightly overcooked. Spring rolls were competent, arrived scorching hot. The Laab was just minced meat, no real flavors going on.

Service was pleasant and prompt, if not colourless.

There's gotta be better Thai in Ithaca!

• Visited November 2012