“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The William Henry Miller Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
The William Henry Miller Inn
You added The William Henry Miller Inn to your Saves list
303 North Aurora Street, Ithaca, NY 14850   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Rockville, Maryland
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Three years ago a local friend referred us to the William Henry Miller Inn. We spent the 4th of July weekend at the Inn and have been coming back every summer since. The location couldn't be more convenient - it's right down the street from the Commons. Every room has a different character and all are very comfortable and charming. The innkeeper, Lynnette, pays attention to every little detail, down to a bowl full of cotton balls and q-tips in the bathroom. The breakfasts are incredibly well thought out, are different each day, and all are absolutely delicious. Thank you, Lynnette! We'll be back next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Millerinn, Owner at The William Henry Miller Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
It's our pleasure to see you and host you in the summer! We are so happy that you enjoy your stay and keep coming back!
Our motto is "The Success is in the Details" and we try to have all those little details---from the Q-tips to the hand ironed sheets to an assortment of different pillows (foam, feather etc etc).
It's always fun to keep looking for that "next new detail" and ours will I hope be towel warmers for each bath.
Thank you for returning! Thank you for your nice words! Hope to see you next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I just returned from a three night stay at the lovely William Henry Miller Inn while my daughter attended orientation at Ithaca College. Lynette is the perfect Innkeeper - she and her staff did everything to make my visit perfect from the fabulous breakfasts (different each morning) and a wonderful selection of desserts in the evening to suggestions of what to see and do in the area. The Inn, which is beautifully decorated, is close to the Ithaca Commons with shops and restaurants and to Cornell, Ithaca College and the famous gorges. I highly recommend the Inn - you will not be disappointed. I will be going back next month!

Room Tip: I stayed in Dane's Room, on the second floor, which has a wonderful king-size bed, antique furn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
There's nothing that makes us happier than a guest who has enjoyed their stay! Thank you, thank you for your lovely review.
Breakfast is such a fun time for us---putting menus together is something we really enjoy and we always try to make the best use of local and seasonal. And if you wonder why my head is usually in a cookbook, this is the reason!
Thank you again and we'll look forward to seeing you as school begins!
Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This inn knows how to take of business and its visitors. From the moment we checked in every detail was handled efficiently and professionally. The Cornell student, Braden (future Chicago Blackhawks hockey player!), who showed us around the inn was extremely friendly and helpful. He also makes some of the desserts you will have the pleasure of sampling around eight each evening and they are all delicious......peach cobbler, triple chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, molasses cookies, lemon bars: all yummy! (Oh, that triple chocolate cake.......) My husband and I stayed in the Aurora room of the carriage house (wheelchair accessible!) which we loved because it is very private and very quiet. There is a nice comfy queen bed with fitted sheets, a small desk, TV, armoire and an especially nice bathroom with a large shower. The bathroom offers some nice touches like a special makeup removal towel, cotton swabs and nice thick bath towels along with regular toiletries. Spotless and the AC works extremely well too. The main house is a gem: charming architectural details everywhere, lovely stained glass and beautiful antiques. There is also a computer available for use in the main sitting area. Every breakfast was delicious according to my husband and the company delightful. Lynnette is a wonderful hostess and thinks of some extras that we really appreciated. One very nice touch: she has many menus from local restaurants and brochures from various area attractions for you to browse but she doesn't stop there. She goes the extra mile by having a file folder handy with directions for those same restaurants and attractions. The directions are very specific, departing from the driveway of the inn, and will save you lots of valuable time, especially with all the one-way streets in Ithaca. Out of the many bed and breakfasts where we have had the pleasure of staying, this is the only one that has compiled such specific directions. Great idea! The location of the inn is also perfect. The downtown commons shopping area (a pedestrian street) is a 2 to 3 minute walk from WHM with numerous fun restaurants to sample. We enjoyed Taste of Thai and the Ithaca Ale House especially within walking distance and Maxie's, a short drive away, was really a fun Cajun restaurant. A health food market is a very quick walk, maybe 5 minutes time. You can also walk to Cascadilla Falls, about two blocks away for a lovely peaceful path along the water, about 10 blocks to Ithaca Falls (stunning) and if you're industrious like we were, you can walk up the hill to Cornell's campus and visit Cornell Plantations' beautiful gardens. Easy drives can be made to Watkins Glen, Buttermilk Falls and Taughannock State Parks where you can take some glorious hikes. We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay in Ithaca and Lynnette's charming William Henry Miller Inn was the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: We loved the carriage house for its privacy and easy access.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We want to first of all thank you for staying with us and secondly, for your kind, kind words!
Braden has been an absolute delight for us and we're nearing the end of his work at the Inn since he is entering his senior year and then probably off on a pair of hockey skates! His baking skills are astounding and he recently made homemade ice cream that was out of this world. His mother still can't believe it!
Ithaca has so many one way streets that we're delighted to have lots of directions for our guests. For many years I was married to an Army Engineer and I'll always be grateful that he stressed directions and how to read a map! It will be an exciting day when our Aurora Street becomes "two way"!
We would love it if you would come back to watch Braden play with the Cornell team this winter. We can hardly wait!
Thank you again.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Inn is wonderful. Lynnette and the entire staff were so kind. Staying here was a real treat for us. We usually try to be a little more budget conscious, but WHM Inn looked so inviting on the website, that we decided to splurge. It was definitely worth it!
The location is fabulous. There is so much within walking distance; from the parks to the shops to the restaurants. We even walked around the non-touristy parts of town. It is such a relaxed community. Plus the Inn is a very short (and easy) drive to several state parks, which we also took advantage of.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very pleasant young man who took us on a tour before taking us to our room. We stayed in “The Dane” which was a very spacious room with a king size bed. It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on while traveling. The bathroom was also very spacious and had a whirlpool tub and shower. We thought the décor was lovely. I especially loved the big chair by the windows. It was a great place to sit and read or to people watch.
The Inn is right on a corner, but traffic noise wasn’t a problem. (We did run the air quite a bit though because it was in the 90’s so that may have drowned out some of the noise.)
The breakfasts were awesome. They were creative and delicious. Actually they were some of our favorite meals that we had during our 3 day trip. Desserts at night were equally good. I don’t even like peaches, but I still had 2 servings of Lynette’s peach cobbler!
All in all, it was probably the nicest place I’ve stayed at. I have stayed at some high end hotels while traveling on business, but there is something very special about the William Henry Miller Inn. There are times when you pick a hotel because it happens to be in the city you want to visit, but in the case of the WHM Inn, it becomes part of the reason to visit the city.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Dane room and found it to be perfect!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Millerinn, Owner at The William Henry Miller Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We want to thank you, thank you, thank you for your lovely post.
The young man who checked you in is a senior in Cornell's Hotel School and captain of the Hockey Team. We have discovered that he is one fabulous baker and I cannot take credit for the Peach Cobbler. It was all Braden!
We always worry that noise will be an issue since we are on a busy street corner but the twelve inch thick brick walls of the house really do help! And the good thing about being on the busy street corner is that you can walk to so many things.'
And that big chair has quite a history! When we bought the Inn, we needed to furnish the entire buidling pretty quickly, We found that chair at an auction for five dollars! It was in terrible shape but had "great bones". My former next door neighbor, an upholsterer, did a fabulous job recovering the chair and building the ottoman. It is one great chair to curl up in.
Thank you again. We hope to see you sometime in the future!
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Wonderful inn! Very nice rooms and the breakfasts and desserts are amazing. Lynnette is a truly wonderful innkeeper, providing lots of helpful information on what to do and see and where to eat. If we find ourselves in Ithaca again, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Millerinn, Owner at The William Henry Miller Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay!
One of the best things since opening the Inn is learning so much more about the area where we live---there is so much to do and something going on all the time. Doesn't even matter what the season. Winter is even busy!
Thank you again and if events bring you to Ithaca in the future, we sure would love to see you again.
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I called The William Henry Miller Inn yesterday to find out some information regarding how far in advance we can book rooms. My son is going to be a freshman at Cornell and we wanted to know what our options were for lodging in Ithaca. Lynnette answered the phone and chatted with me for over 20 minutes. She was so friendly and offered so much information! I was so impressed with her attitude and willingness to help out a total stranger who had not even booked a room. I gave a five star review based on our conversation. We are making reservations today for a visit to campus in September and look forward to meeting Lynnette, eating the wonderful food detailed in numerous reviews and getting our first taste of B&B hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
You are so kind to write a review based on our conversation! Thank you so much.
It can be so difficult to try and navigate this college move in experience and thankfully, over the past thirteen years, we've been able to pick up quite a bit of information. It's our pleasure to share any information that we have to make your stay easier!
We'll look forward to meeting you in person!
hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This was my first stay at the William Henry Miller Inn. I have stayed at three other hotels in the area, and although I like two of them very much, this inn has become my favorite. For starters, there's Lynette, one of the innkeeper/owners. She is so friendly and so welcoming! We learned a lot about the history of the Inn from her and its transformation into the first-rate bed and breakfast it is today. She showed us all of the rooms downstairs (each warm and inviting spaces) and introduced us to her rescue dog, an ancient animal who likes to bury herself under piles of blankets and pillows.

We stayed in the room called The Turret, which, appropriately, is on the top floor. It is a beautiful, large room with a queen bed and day bed, the latter tucked cozily into an alcove with its own lighting. I loved the yellow wallpaper with its background of blue flowers. I also loved the white wicker chair and accent pieces, the pretty wreath on the wall, and the vase of yellow silk flowers on top of the armoire. The bathroom is lovely, too, with a shower that contains built-in amenities (shampoo, gel, body wash). An especially nice touch in the bathroom were the "freebies" that included packets of makeup remover! Best of all, though, was the bedding, particularly the gorgeous sheets and pillowcases with crocheted trim. Very comfy mattress, too.

Several other travelers have commented on the amazing breakfasts; I will, too. Lynette really outdoes herself here. On the day of our stay, we had a choice between waffles and crustless quiche. My daughter chose the waffles, and I had the quiche. Both were unbelievably good. My quiche came with bacon and some of the best potatoes I've ever eaten. And then there were raspberry scones, an apple and pear cake, and homemade bread and jam. When I made my reservation, I told Lynette about my allergy to strawberries. She remembered (in fact, she mentioned this as soon as we entered the Inn, which was a thoughtful gesture) and selected oranges and pears for us. Very nice, and so very typical, it seems, of her genuine desire to be thoughtful and friendly.

Desserts are available in the evening. We had delicious chocolate chip cookies (they seem to be available all day long), white brownies with chocolate chips, chocolate brownies, and apple crisp. Pure heaven.

As we checked out, Lynette gave us bottled water, a little bag of cookies, and a banana for the trip home. Again, so very thoughtful.

The location downtown is just perfect, as there are tons of restaurants within walking distance. The Inn also has its own parking lot, which is very convenient.

The Inn has only 9 rooms, so if you've got your heart set on staying here, reserve well in advance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words!
When reservations are taken, we always try to find out about any food issues and as you know, take them very seriously. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay--the breakfast and the room. And, of course, Millie who is a fixture in her basket in the Dining Room. She goes home with me at night but does love to sleep during the day as well.
We will be so happy to welcome you back and hope that we can even get Millie to greet you at the door!

Been to The William Henry Miller Inn? Share your experiences!