“Needs updating” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 19 hotels in Ithaca
Catawissa, Pennsylvania
“Needs updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Room was clean, bed was very comfortable, bathroom was clean. Room had mini fridge, coffee maker, and safe. Plenty of drawers, desk area with comfy chair, large closet with iron & ironing board. The carpet was very stained, the furniture is worn and outdated. The room had a "70's" look. The bed had a very nice comforter but no covering on it. The hallway was a bit dark, walls very pink, carpeting stained, and areas on the ceiling water stained. The outside of the building is in need of some repair. The parking lot is worn out and rough. The cleaning staff were very friendly. We did receive the incorrect bill upon check-out and had to return, but the staff was very helpful in correcting the mistake. Probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here a few days ago. The hotel is - not lying - the worst place I've ever stayed at.
The whole hotel is in an utterly bad condition and fails to leave any positive impression at all.

I do not want to sound exaggerating or dramatic, but my comments below reflect the reality for this property. I do not want to scare people away, but this hotel has been a huge disappointment and I hope the hotel management reads my comments and necessary improvements.

Hotel in general:

Hotel Parking has dozens of potholes, many of them are very big and deep, so definitely watch out where you are driving & parking.
Hotel Public Areas look extremely worn-off and dirty. Carpets have dirt and spots everywhere, walls and furniture have scuffs and marks, wallpaper peeling off in several places. Both the public areas and guest rooms are in desperate need for renovation and dry cleaning.
Hotel conveniently located about half a mile from a grocery store, pharmacy and some other smaller stores.

Avoid the (only!) elevator in the building, as it makes loud banging noises and shakes whilst moving. Definitely not safe in my opinion. Hallway ceiling leaks water and buckets are right in the middle of the hallway collecting the drops. Not a nice view!

Guest Room:
- Carpets stained everywhere with dirt, blood, and other marks. Wallpaper peeling off, and ceiling has cracks in several places.
- Had two Twin size beds in my room. Beds were not made properly, and sheets and linen gave the impression they had not been ironed/pressed. I pulled back the cover of one bed and HORROR it was stained in the middle. Never touched that bed again. Other bed was so-so, but still felt uncomfortable to sleep in it.
- Room has very unpleasant smell (same as corridors and public areas in hotel). Smells like a mixture between mold, cigarette smoke, and urine.
- The AC works fine but when switched on, a very pungent urine smell accompanies the air blown into the room. Left the AC off for my entire stay (in August! It's hot! )
- Bathroom wasn't cleaned properly, especially bathtub/shower which had spots and dirty marks everywhere, same as sink. Toilet looked alright.
- Bed lamps are mounted against the wall right above the pillows. Do not dare to look here, they are covered in dust, dead mosquitoes & bugs, and dirt in general. Look like they haven't been cleaned for years.
- Furniture is worn-off, needs to be touched up or replaced.
- Desk lamp was broken.
- Internet speed in room is fine but connection breaks down every now and then. Mini fridge was working fine.

I can only again stress that this hotel has long outlived its best days. It's very dirty, looks old, and staff did not make the impression to me that they were genuinely interested in providing a positive experience to their guests.

WIll never stay at this property again and do not recommend the hotel to anyone else either. The room rates they charge are way too high, and even if they were half of what they are it'd still be a rip-off considering the state of this "hotel".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family and I were on a college visit to Cornell and were expecting a respectable place to stay. We had booked the previous night on Kayak and so I wasn't concerned until we drove up to this "Hotel". ( I use the word loosely)

Seriously, this place looks scarey and i immediately got on the phone to Kayak to demand a refund. We moved on and paid a lot more but at least were safe.

Somebody in Ithaca needs to inspect and condemn this property.

I wouldn't let my dog stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I planned a day of Wine tasting on Lake Cayuga, and this hotel was more than sufficient for our needs. I was weary, as I am EXTREMELY picky about hotels I stay in. I have to admit I was very nervous because the reviews I have read.

The parking lot does need some work, and the outside of the building as well. The hotel is a tad older overall, but the room was extremely clean and comfortable. They had a mini-refrigerator, heat lamp in the bathroom, makeup remover towelettes (which even some of the nicest hotels do not provide for their guests), along with a coffee maker and a small seating area.

The reviews that I read online were extremely dramatic, and inaccurate on many accounts. The staff was more than helpful and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. I would most definitely stay here again, the location was great and the price was right. We barely spent any time in the room at all, so for what we had planned this hotel surpassed my expectations on all levels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked the Clarion University Hotel online and were taken aback when we first arrived at this hotel. The parking lot was a minefield of potholes and the outside of the building did not look like a typical hotel. We drove around trying to find the main entrance. Even that was difficult to locate. There were no signs. I walked through one door and found myself in the lobby. The girl at the desk was very friendly and welcoming. She completed our registration quickly and efficiently. Before I knew it I had the room keys and we were on our way to the room. The entrance we were directed to was right at the laundry/housekeeping area where evidently they allow workers to smoke. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room. It was very nice; a bit dated but clean and neat.

The desk clerk suggested a nearby restaurant for dinner. We walked over to a strip plaza and found a nice little place tucked away. The food was good and we enjoyed buffalo-style chicken wings.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a bit more than you would expect. It was in a large dining room with lots of tables. All the serving dishes were kept hot so your eggs, sausage/bacon and sausage gravy were hot. There were made-to-order waffles you made yourself. Again, we were pleasantly surprised.

Although we were taken aback initially, it didn't turn out to be a bad experience. "Don't judge a book by its cover!!"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Emmett, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Do not be fooled by the pictures. I stayed here for three nights and it was terrible. I had to move to another hotel. I arrived at around 5:00 A.M. and it took around twenty minutes to find someone so I could check in. I was so tired I did not even notice the room condition. I was able to get a little sleep before going to work at around 11:00 A.M. When I returnedd in the evening my room had not been touched, I thought I just missed their cleaning times so I made the most of it. The next day all that had been done was my dirty towel was replaced and the bed was sort of made. Nothing else was cleaned. I had enough and left the next day. The only thing that was adequate was the Internet.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Old Bethpage, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel several times. While badly in need of updated decor and a desperate paving of the parking lot, the hotel is clean and comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate, with an omelette station. We were there for our son's college graduation, and the hotel made a serious effort to be upscale. The first day there were "goody bags" in our room with water, snacks, and a map of Cornell, as well as Cornell's daily newspaper. The second day there was a Cornell teddy bear. The third, champagne and chocolate. While the room rates were quite high, with a three night minimum, this was true for all hotels in the area for graduation weekend. I applaud their effort to make this a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Trip Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!