“A Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Ithaca
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I planned a day of Wine tasting on Lake Cayuga, and this hotel was more than sufficient for our needs. I was weary, as I am EXTREMELY picky about hotels I stay in. I have to admit I was very nervous because the reviews I have read.

The parking lot does need some work, and the outside of the building as well. The hotel is a tad older overall, but the room was extremely clean and comfortable. They had a mini-refrigerator, heat lamp in the bathroom, makeup remover towelettes (which even some of the nicest hotels do not provide for their guests), along with a coffee maker and a small seating area.

The reviews that I read online were extremely dramatic, and inaccurate on many accounts. The staff was more than helpful and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. I would most definitely stay here again, the location was great and the price was right. We barely spent any time in the room at all, so for what we had planned this hotel surpassed my expectations on all levels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked the Clarion University Hotel online and were taken aback when we first arrived at this hotel. The parking lot was a minefield of potholes and the outside of the building did not look like a typical hotel. We drove around trying to find the main entrance. Even that was difficult to locate. There were no signs. I walked through one door and found myself in the lobby. The girl at the desk was very friendly and welcoming. She completed our registration quickly and efficiently. Before I knew it I had the room keys and we were on our way to the room. The entrance we were directed to was right at the laundry/housekeeping area where evidently they allow workers to smoke. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room. It was very nice; a bit dated but clean and neat.

The desk clerk suggested a nearby restaurant for dinner. We walked over to a strip plaza and found a nice little place tucked away. The food was good and we enjoyed buffalo-style chicken wings.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a bit more than you would expect. It was in a large dining room with lots of tables. All the serving dishes were kept hot so your eggs, sausage/bacon and sausage gravy were hot. There were made-to-order waffles you made yourself. Again, we were pleasantly surprised.

Although we were taken aback initially, it didn't turn out to be a bad experience. "Don't judge a book by its cover!!"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Emmett, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Do not be fooled by the pictures. I stayed here for three nights and it was terrible. I had to move to another hotel. I arrived at around 5:00 A.M. and it took around twenty minutes to find someone so I could check in. I was so tired I did not even notice the room condition. I was able to get a little sleep before going to work at around 11:00 A.M. When I returnedd in the evening my room had not been touched, I thought I just missed their cleaning times so I made the most of it. The next day all that had been done was my dirty towel was replaced and the bed was sort of made. Nothing else was cleaned. I had enough and left the next day. The only thing that was adequate was the Internet.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Old Bethpage, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel several times. While badly in need of updated decor and a desperate paving of the parking lot, the hotel is clean and comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate, with an omelette station. We were there for our son's college graduation, and the hotel made a serious effort to be upscale. The first day there were "goody bags" in our room with water, snacks, and a map of Cornell, as well as Cornell's daily newspaper. The second day there was a Cornell teddy bear. The third, champagne and chocolate. While the room rates were quite high, with a three night minimum, this was true for all hotels in the area for graduation weekend. I applaud their effort to make this a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

The lobby is very well done, the breakfast wonderful and the staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was comfortable, nicely decorated and the bed was exceptional. There is renovation going on and when it is finished, this will be an outstanding property. Keep working on that renovation and parking lot!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Evans Mills, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

From the crumbling unsafe parking lot, to the disgusting room, this hotel was an embarassment to the Clarion name. We book the room as part of a tournament and did not have time to look for another room, or we would never have stayed. There were cobwebs behind the bed (we noticed while looking for bedbugs). An old pair of socks were on the floor. Hair and crumbs on the carpet. The coffee pot had used coffee filter in it. The laundry room and mechanical room were open to the hall and they were disgusting! The bathroom had no exhaust. The corners of the floor were encrusted with dirt. The ceiling was in disrepair. The finishes in the room are outdated. The wall paper in the bathroom was dirty and the wallpaper in the bedroom was peiling away.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Watertown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed here for a basketball tournament. The hotel was very run down, and from other reviews, appears to be in the process of a long standing renovation. Our room was filthy! The sheets on the bed were dirty, garbage was left under the beds, and the carpets had not been vacumed. There was evidence of bugs in the room, and there were bugs coming out of the bathroon sink drain. The bathroom, itself was also not cleaned ... hair all over.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Trip Hotel Ithaca? Share your experiences!