“coming home” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lier, Belgium
“coming home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

the reception was nice. there was a good cup of coffee awaiting with nice biscuits. the rooms are large but unfortunatelly there is no terrace at the room. Pool and fitness are ok. Service was excellent, we had a small issue with our credit card and thanks to the swift and good action of the employee at the front desk it was very well solved. Thx again for this. Location is very good.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad our front desk staff was able to address the credit card issue quickly and ensure all was taken care of before you left. We want to ensure you leave happy and come back and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My teenaged sons and I just spent 4 nights at the Country Inn. The hotel was fully booked for most of our stay. In spite of this there were never crowds at the breakfast room or pool. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and well appointed. We loved having two TV's and enough dresser drawers to unpack all our things.
A few extremely minor housekeeping flaws. The housekeeper neglected to restock my in room coffee. I am sure that if I called the front desk, they would have brought some immediately, but it was easy enough to get a cup from the lobby (coffee and cookies available 24/7), also the coffee mugs that were placed in the room were not clean (I used the disposable ones instead). All other housekeeping was up to par. No complaints. We has a great visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments! We are a very busy hotel, and our agreement with Ithaca College for housing students was CANCELLED so we are able to continue to provide great service to all our guests. We are small enough to give personalized service and make you feel welcome.
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here the first days in August while visiting Cornell.

We were looking for a hotel with one room that could fit our family of 5. It took only one phone call to the hotel to arrange it: the woman explained to me that I could reserve a 2-queen plus queen sofa-bed suite to fit everyone. Perfect!

The hotel location was good for our daily short trek to Cornell Univ. while admiring the breath-taking scenery. Our room was on the second floor at the end of the hallway (close to King and Danby intersection) near the ice machine and vending (noisy in the evening) plus the chatter in the parking lot was a bit noisy when people where coming and going in the evening. The fact that the hotel is located in an intersection with traffic light (truck route, screeching brakes, etc.) added to the noise level. However, I brought earplugs and did not hear a thing during the night.

Room was spacious enough for our growing family. We have stayed at CI&S before with a King bed instead of 2 Queen beds since we never had the option available and had to request a rollaway. This hotel’s setup was much better.

The queen beds were very comfortable, while the sofa bed was a mess: the bottom layer was torn and breaking apart from the frame barely holding the slim “project” of a mattress. It would have been more comfortable to sleep on the sofa cushions. The person who slept on the sofa bed had a horrible night. This problem with the sofa-bed is a recurring one at almost every hotel we have stayed and also with the rollaways: they do not get updated as frequently as they should.

Bathroom and room were clean. Curtains worked well to block out light, but were heavy to slide. Mini-refrigerator worked well.

WiFi and Cable were great, but both went out in the afternoon when a thunder storm went by. It was not the hotel’s fault, but I just would like to warn people this kind of thing happens. Both services were back up a few hours later.

Hotel room included complimentary Breakfast: it was the usual CI&S fare. I like the self-serve style. It was a convenient way to get started to go out quickly in the morning. My husband thought the French toast was awful and cereals not good, but the children liked what they ate. I enjoyed the bacon, sausage patties, eggs, toast, juice and coffee. Best of all, the breakfast attendant Danni was a star with her big smile and sunny disposition taking care of everything around the breakfast room. She was ready to help anyone who needed it.

Love the cookies and coffee in the foyer/lobby, and the book exchange for those people who still read paper material.

Room Tip: ear plugs is the best tip: you can't get away from the traffic or parking lot. Vending and Ice m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so glad we were available to meet the needs of your family of five. Sorry to hear the street and inside noise were bothersome, usually at night there is not a lot of traffice that goes by but definetly the back side of thebuilding is quieter. It sounds as if you enjoyed your visit as a whole and we truly apprecite your business.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've stayed at Country Inn & Suites a number of times; it's just a mile down the road from Ithaca College, where my daughter goes and I've always been pretty pleased. I reserved my room a number of weeks ago for an August stay of 2 nights. Instead of going through the hotel directly, I booked through Hotels.com as the price was a little better. Today, I got an "urgent" email from the web site, telling me the hotel cannot accommodate me after all, and I need to call Hotels.com to get a different hotel.

Now mind you, the room I booked was in advance and NON-CANCELLABLE. Apparently, though, the hotel has the option to CANCEL YOU. I was told that the Inn canceled dozens of reservations, some of which may be due to their having to accommodate Ithaca College students.

I can't blame Hotels.com for this. In fact, they bent over backwards to help us get a room at another hotel in Ithaca that was more upscale and more expensive for the same price we paid, and will refund the money we have to spend on breakfast and parking (since Country Inn provides both of these free and the new hotel doesn't).

If Country Inn can just cancel your non-cancellable reservation, I don't think I feel secure booking a room with them again. I have heard that a slew of IC students will be rooming there this Fall, but school doesn't even begin yet when we plan to be there in mid-August, so I don't get why they put us out like this.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I understand your dissapointment in us and I apologize. Ithaca college hasaa lot of prep work before the students arrive and we are doing our best to assist them in their time of need. I'm sure you can understand this.
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here July 2013 for one night. Had the king suite with sofa "bed" to accommodate the family. At $259++ a night. We were on 2nd floor near the elevator. The place was dirty (long black hairs on bathroom shower wall and on bedspread and floor. We all have short hair) In the master bedroom the curtains do not shut so you have blackout panels that are fixed to the sides but cant black out the room. So plan to be up early if you overlook the parking lot. THEN the sofa "bed" the mattress is barely a double, the two blankets in the closet were skimpy at best. Once folded out the bed was canted on an angle. It was quite tippy and soft. Then there were the lumps. The mattress has inner springs which poked through. In short, you could sleep for a few moments but then the poking springs would force you to move, realizing again that you were cold and uncomfortable. I was tempted to move to just sleep on the sofa but it was kind of skuzzy. Then there was the noise . literally any door closing rocked the room. The elevator BONGED (two tone) at each door opening on the floor and anyone walking up and down you'd hear EVERY word they said. I thought they were in the room with me. There were about 2 hours of quiet in the middle of the night but then there was the bed to contend with.

the breakfast was quite untasty. French toast but it was okay just not flavored; the wafffles were gross and the syrup was basically corn flavored. if they paid for maple syrup, they were robbed. We drove to wegmans and bought some food before leaving for the day.

I am not sure where the other reviewers stayed or maybe they are deaf and immune to heat/cold. I think if you were at the end of the hall, in the back bed, at the back of the hotel, it was probably okay

OH, and I did think about mentioning to the front desk. I went down in the middle of the night to see if I could get an extra blanket (I slept in sweat pants, a tshirt, socks and hooded heavy sweatshirt.) But after no answer at desk,I went down and there was no one there. Gee, I felt safe. Then in the morning, i went to check out and leave the keys; the woman took my keys and just turned away and walked off. So I figured this was a better forum

DIrty, Noisy and expensive. The sad part is that there are some good hotels in the surrounding towns but hard to find them. Frankly, I'd have been more comfortable sleeping in the car

Room Tip: far from elevators, back of hotel, facing away from parking lot do NOT plan on using the fold out b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I'm sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. A couple of things stoodout to me. There are room darkening shades in the room in addition to the stationary curtains and sheers. They were just opened all the way so it is likely you did not see them. Our rooms are quite quiet in the bedroom area so sleeping in the living room you will occasionaly hear noise from the hallway. We will look into the sofa bed. Rooms have their own temperature controls, but we could have brought you another duvet similar to the bedroom if we had known.
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Have reservations for move in weekend,as daughter is attending Cornell. Just received a phone call that 100 Ithaca College students will be LIVING at this property starting the weekend of Aug 23-25th. Wanted to know if we wanted to move!! Like there is another available room in town!!
Don't know how long this will last but probably all semester.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We will be hosting some students but the remaining rooms that we have will be catered too. We still provide the same great service we always do.
Oyster Bay, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Have been staying here on visits to Ithaca for many years and have never been disappointed. Rooms are large and comfortable. Layout of one bedroom suite is great for families or if you know that you will have people stopping by. The staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Located on South Hill near Ithaca College it is close to both downtown and the shopping areas. Easy parking. We'll definately stay with them again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. We are convenient to so many Ithaca options! We will continue to strive to provide great service throughout the years.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca? Share your experiences!