“Great staff overall” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great staff overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed here for both business and pleasure and the hotel staff is always warm and friendly.

The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and a large bathroom with good counter space, and nice amenities from Bath and Body Works. I prefer a wireless connection for WIFI and theirs always works fine.

The hotel is located right off the highway, but not a whole lot to do within walking distance. The hotel shuttle will take you to the nearest train station, or to a Dave & Busters nearby if you don't have a car. There is also a Hooters and Dunkin Donuts down the street (which is a little bit of a walk).

The restaurant/bar food is good and a nice experience on a quiet night. However, if there is something going on like a wedding it can be very loud. The restaurant is located on one side of the atrium and the pool on the other, so while having dinner there were a bunch of kids in the pool and it was very, very loud.

I will agree with the other reviews that the elevators can be very slow. I have also had to take the freight elevator on one occasion because the elevators were broken.

Overall, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the hotel if you prefer a quiet room. Inside rooms facing the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bruce A, Manager at Marriott Islandia Long Island, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for leaving your review on TripAdvisor.

We are proud of our hotel and services in Islandia Marriott. We do our best to make our guest comfortable during their stay. Comments like your's keep us going day in, day out. Thank you very much for your king feed back.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Bruce Atabek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed recently for a business trip, and I thought I worked long hours! The Director of Food & Beverage, Rohan Krishan, was there when I came down for breakfast at 7:30 and STILL there (being just as helpful and friendly) when I got back to the hotel at 8:30 all three nights! The room was clean and comfortable and the rest of the staff were also friendly and helpful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bruce A, General Manager at Marriott Islandia Long Island, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Islandia Marriott. It is always our goal to make each and every guest's stay enjoyable and we love to hear when we accomplish this. I will share your kind words about Mr. Krishan. He is truly an asset to our success. My staff and I hope that you will be able to return again soon and Thank you for choosing to stay at the Islandia Marriott.

Port Perry, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our second year staying in Islandia for a weekend tournament at the local baseball heaven facility. The staff is fabulous, the free shuttle was great for heading out to dinner. The pool is well cared for and the rooms are more than enough. Location is great for train into the city, big mall Smithhaven not too far. Highly recommend this hotel. The beds are so comfortable, I and many in our big group commented on this! Thank to the Marriott Islandia!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room overlooking the main lobby/pool/restaurant. There are rooms looking outside if y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am very delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you in general.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

General Manage
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2012 for a wedding. The hotel was large, the concierge was very friendly, and our room was clean and well appointed. For the most part, everything was as I would expect from a Marriott. However, the hotel is rather large, and there was only 1 functioning elevator. With several wedding parties and a baseball tournament all being housed in the hotel, the single elevator was really difficult. There was always a very long wait for the elevator, and once you were able to get inside, it was very crowded. In a hotel of this size, this issue needs to be fixed quickly.

Other than the faulty elevators, our stay was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bruce A, General Manager at Marriott Islandia Long Island, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
I would like to thank you for staying with us here in Islandia Marriott. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor.

Unfortunately having building with only two elevators is never easy. Especially when the hotel is at full capacity. We know that when there are so many kids in the hotel, they tend to play with the elevators. If you noticed we placed security guards in the elevators in order to eliminate this problem. However we could not prevent one of them being out of order during your stay. I apologize the inconvenience and hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Sincerely

Bayside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend trip out to Long Island for some shopping and dining. The hotel is located on the LIE service road so it is easy to get to.

Check-in was smooth and quick, and we were given a very nice room on the top floor (it helped that I had Silver status). The lobby is nice with high glass ceilings extending up. Before hitting the elevators, there was fruit-infused water right by there. Service was good throughout anyone we encountered.

Our room (corner room) was a good size with a couch and a lounge chair. Room was fine and was updated nicely it seemed. There was a TV with alot of channels with it, but it would take 2-3 seconds to get to each channel whenever you changed it. There were also enough charging stations and outlets in the room.

The bed was not comfortable and along with the pillows, did not lead to a good night sleep. The pillows were either thin or hard as rocks. Likewise, the AC was a little noisy at times.

Bathroom was ok size with good amenities. However, the showerhead in the bathtub was almost at neck level (I'm 6'3"), and water pressure was low.

The buffet for breakfast was decent but they have the waffles, french toast and pancakes being made at the omelet station so the wait for any of that can be long.

Upon Sunday morning check-out, the elevators were a little scary. There are signs in the elevator that say maximum of 10 people. And given the peak check-out / breakfast time on a Sunday morning, the elevators filled up really fast. By the time we got the 5th floor, the elevator was full, and guests were still trying to get on. The elevator stopped moving until a couple of people got off. There are only 2 elevators for a pretty big property so that doesnt help. They do offer the use of the freight elevator according to signs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here 1 night for work in August 2012. This hotel needs major work. The lobby is nice enough, but there are significant issues with the rooms. First, the HVAC system is either broken or so old that it can't function properly. They have notes on the thermostats stating "Please Do Not Set Below 68 Degrees", which I find to be unacceptable in and of itself because I like a chilly room to sleep.

I set my room temp to 68 upon entry at around 4PM. As of checkout at 10PM the next day, the lowest the room temp actually got was 74 Degrees. It was warm and humid and uncomfortable to sleep.

Also not helping a good night's sleep were the hard beds and simply awful, terrible pillows provided. I don't know if these pillows are so old that they don't retain any stuffing, or if they're just cheap, but I might as well have had none for all the support and comfort they offered.

So I was uncomfortable, which is not acceptable for a Marriott brand hotel at this price range, but I can live with it. The really ridiculous part is that I got NO cell phone reception in my room. I got it outside the hotel, in the lobby, no problem. But there was no way to make calls in my room. Which means I got very little work done. Totally unacceptable - this needs to be fixed by the hotel.

I ate in the hotel restaurant, and asked specifically if the food was pre-packaged or prepared fresh on-site. I was assured it was prepared by a chef on-site. IF that is truly the case, they need to send that cook back to culinary school. Everything tasted re-heated, bland, not great. And for over $25 a plate, that's just not OK.

I won't be staying here again, and I'll be passing along my feedback to Marriott corporate. This hotel shouldn't be part of the Marriott brand as-is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had to stay here on a business trip because the Courtyard I normally stay at was booked. At first glance, it seemed like an upgrade vs. the average Courtyard - but this place definitely needs improvements. The staff was very friendly and even granted me access to the Concierge Lounge even though I am only a Silver elite member since it was my first stay at the hotel. The hotel itself just needs a face lift. The decor is outdated. The rooms were average at best, but again need a face lift. I ate at the atrium bar (I think that is the name) which is the bar on the mezzanine level. I think the food comes from the full service restaurant downstairs (the bistro). Again, the bar needs a major overhaul. The staff was young and was not professional - joking around with eachother the whole time in front of guests and leaving the bar multiple times. The food was average.

Overall, I would stay again if I had to - it wasn't terrible. But I prefer the newly renovated Courtyard down the street over this any day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Islandia Long Island? Share your experiences!