“Perfect place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nelson's Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inlet
Nelson's Cottages
You added Nelson's Cottages to your Saves list
128 Route 28, PO Box 357, Inlet, NY 13360   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Inlet
“Perfect place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and I have been to the Inlet area numerous times and had yet to find thee perfect place to stay until this past weekend. We stayed at Nelson's in the Tennessee cottage and will return there for years to come! We had a great time being walking distance to Inlet, in the perfect, tucked back area. Yes, the cottage was small but exactly what we needed. We didn't even make use of the beach or anything else Nelson's has to offer because we generally spent most of our time hiking, biking, kayaking and so on. Everything was clean and ready for our arrival. We were told ahead of time that the cottage was small (although we were expecting it to be smaller!) Linda was a gracious host and we felt comfortable that everything was clean. We can't wait to bring our children there someday! It seems like the perfect place for a family vacation. Loved it!

Also, we had a wonderful dinner at The Woods Inn (walking distance)...sooooo romantic and such great food!

PS. I would not recommend staying at the Glenmore on Big Moose Lake...this is a bar, NOT a hotel. And it was yucky. Horrible in fact...especially when I think about it being $70 a night...the place actually gives me the chills!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I have quite a bit of travel experience and have been many places over the years. I would recommend Nelson's Cottages to any family. My wife, two daughters and myself stayed for a week the last week of August 2009. We stayed at the "New York" cottage. The value was great and the space was comfortable for all four of us. Everything was very clean and the kitchen and bathroom were perfectly fine in terms of functionality, space and appliances. We really enjoyed our stay there and you can even look for our entries in the cabin's guest book. The owners Linda and Ken are very kind hosts and I was impressed with the way they both handle the care of their guests and their cottages. The setting of the cottages there is very nice and "camp-ish" with pine trees adding a woodsy cover. It was our first time at the Nelson's and we would look forward to going back again sometime. Tom & Mary Jo

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Was looking for a quiet cottage (not a busy motel). Stayed in the Vermont cottage for a few nights, off season. Needed a place to rest my head after a day of exploring the area both north and south from Inlet, kayaking and hiking, Blue Mountain Adirondack Museum. Was concerned about allergies and heat (was chilly September). The Vermont cottage was perfect. Clean paneled walls, wood floors (ask to have potpourri dish removed before arriving if have an issue with--or can air out quickly). Small frig and portable heater were provided. Simple but clean and comfortable room. Quaint porch -- had it been warmer would have been nice to enjoy reading out there. Just minutes to walk to Inlet town center, good diners, grocery store, kayak/canoe rentals. Friendly and accommodating owners. State boat launch next door. Limekiln lake 5 min. away. Good choice for solo traveler, families, couples, any age. Would stay again when up that way.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Wilby,OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Nelson's Cottages were built in the 30's and are utterly charming! The cottages are squeaky clean!! The owners are friendly,caring people. They bend over backwards to make sure your are happy with your cottage and are ALWAYS available. The cottage we stayed in had beautiful curtains, pilllows and other items which had a Common Loon theme! They looked as if they were all new and not a speck of dust on anything! They have a beautiful beach view and are located a short walking distance from the business area. The bathroom was VERY clean with nice BIG BATH TOWELS!
We talked to several couples and families staying in other cottages everyone loved their cottage and the owners. Linda and Ken Nelson are anxious to please and want you to enjoy your stay.
I believe the couple who were so unhappy did not want a rustic cottage, but were looking for a modern newly built cottage-they should have stayed at a Holiday Inn! Changing anything about these cottages would ruin their history and CHARM!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We visited Nelson's Cottages for a 3 night weekend in July. I am very surprised to read the last review. We did not experience anything negative at all... We stayed in a cute motel cabin. The curtains and pillows had beautiful adirondack type fabric and looked hand made. There was a nice beach area with a dock and fire place. We had a fire 2 different nights with other people who stayed there. We met a lot of fun people. The price was very low for the area, especially compared to places in another close town called Old Forge. I thought the owners were great. Mr. Nelson was always around, working on the lawn and property. Mrs. Nelson worked in the office and helped us out with some coupons to a nearby place. Their daughter checked us in and was also friendly. Our cabin was very clean... I just can't believe someone would write those things about Nelsons. We had a great time and plan on returning again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Nelson's for a weekend and were sadly disappointed. The rates were low, but even what we paid was too much. Our cottage was musty, outdated and damp. I had to go up the street to purchase cleaning products to feel sanitary. The bathroom was tiny and beds uncomfortable! This motel needs serious updating. The staff was not very welcoming to first time visitors and even cold. I would not recommend this to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable getaway. We decided we would have been better off camping.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Nelsons_Cottages, Owner at Nelson's Cottages, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
We are shocked and disappointed by this review. At no time have we received any complaints regarding the cleanliness of our cottages. While some of our cabins are small and quaint (this is explained in every potential reservation), we pride ourselves in the cleanliness. It is one of our biggest selling points (see other reviews). Had we been told there was a problem, we would have been happy to rectify it immediately. That being said, there is no way the cottage was "filthy" or "unsanitary".
dsavine8
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Fourth Lake was absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. The actual location of Nelson's was great. My wife and I were very close to hiking, kayaking and all of the local shops and restaurants. Being out in the middle of the lake was absolutely breathtaking and I loved not being able to be contacted by anyone. Unfortunately, I thought our cottage was filthy. It was extremely musty inside and the bathrooms were disgusting. I even found hairs on our bed sheets when I turned down the covers. I have camped and spent summers in my aunts cottage located on an island in Sodus Bay so I didn't have expectations of a four star hotel at all but by the time we left my close and belongings stunk like mildew. We had other friends staying in the area so I was able to see the kind of accommodations they received and their room was much cleaner than ours, to the point where they offered to put us up in their room for the remainder of our stay. The area was beautiful but unfortunately, I won't be staying at Nelsons again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Nelson's Cottages? Share your experiences!