“Exactly what we needed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hurleyville
Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa
You added Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa to your Saves list
12 Columbia Drive, Hurleyville, NY 12788   |
Special Price
Save 25% Work Program
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hurleyville
East Brunswick, NJ
“Exactly what we needed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband and I came to visit Sanivan for a week in June. I needed a chance to get away from my hectic life and recharge my batteries. I chose to come to Sanivan because I wanted a more relaxed and "personal" experience than just going to a B&B, hotel, or big retreat center. What we got was exactly what we needed! Saniye and Ivan were wonderful hosts who warmly shared their home and their energy with us. I chose to juice fast during my stay, while my husband ate whatever Saniye and Ivan were cooking. My fast was very comfortable and pleasant, with lots of variety in the juices that were prepared, and I never felt deprived or irritable. We spent our days going to yoga classes, swimming in their lovely pool and enjoying the sauna, cuddling with their adorable kitties, reading, and generally relaxing. My husband and I both had a shiatsu massage, which was included in the cost of our stay, and I had a fantastic facial. Our room was lovely and very comfortable, and our bathroom -- with the Spa Shower that included a waterfall and high-powered jets -- was AMAZING! If you are looking for a big luxury hotel, room service, or somewhere to go where you will be just left alone, then you should probably look somewhere else. If you are looking for a place to stay where you will receive personal attention in a relaxing and comfortable environment, especially if you are interested in fresh home-made meals of organic food, vegetarian/vegan food, or juice fasting, this is a fantastic place to go to!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Ithaca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I spent a weekend here with two friends. It was relaxing, we had great massages, rooms are comfortable, and the food is excellent. But what the website does not tell you is that this is really a private house in a residential neighborhood, and you are eating in the owner's kitchen, sitting in their living room, and walking in their not-at-all-private backyard. The "yoga and dance lessons" are offered awkwardly by the male owner, and we often felt that we were just in their way rather than being paying guests. The cats are all over the house and the pool was closed for the winter. It's a nicely appointed bed & breakfast with some spa facilities, but to call it a spa/retreat seems misleading

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Sanivan, Owner at Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2009
Hello Ithacanmom, thanks for your feedback. To address a few of your points…

- We’re glad you enjoyed the treatments, accommodations and food!

- Regarding us being a bed and breakfast: We’ve always had a large headline right on our home page that says “B&B for the Soul” as quoting Budget Travel Magazine, but thanks for pointing out that this might not be enough. We’ve modified the home page now and call ourselves a “bed and breakfast spa” to make the point even clearer.

- Regarding our lessons, we cater to our visitors on an individual basis making things available by request or as necessary for the healing program of a given client. We actually have a much wider range of yoga classes we make available to our clients at a neighboring yoga studio, in a group setting. We hope we can share them with you next time you visit.

- Regarding the pool being closed, yes, due to the recent down turn in the economy and increased energy costs, we were not able to keep the swimming pool heated in the winter months. We had to make this compromise in order to continue offering our affordable prices.

- And I am sorry that you felt “awkward”, or “in our way.” It certainly was not our intention, in fact we purposefully did not join you and your friends at the dining table for mealtimes so that you might have the chance to spend time together and bond. It is always our goal to be as hospitable and welcoming as possible.

Our retreat and spa certainly offer a very unique experience. We cater specifically to individuals seeking quiet space where true healing can take place in their lives. We do this by offering comfortable accommodations, healthy food and personal guidance at an affordable price. Being as we have such a focused vision, we realize we might not appeal to those who do not seek such offerings at a given time, but we do hope that you might still think of us when you do need them.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Saniye

Been to Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!