“Amazing anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Little Neck, New York
“Amazing anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My husband and I got married at Oheka Castle last January, and my mother surprised us by making reservations for us to stay at Oheka for our one year anniversary. At check in we discovered we were upgraded to a fabulous suite. While unpacking, room service surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We had an amazing dinner at their newly opened bar and lounge (also serves lunch). The beautiful decor, delicious food, and impeccable service makes for a magical night! Hope to make this a long-time tradition!

Room Tip: Every room in Oheka has its own charm, but the larger suites are definitely the way to go. If you ca...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Got a great deal on a night here. We got the mid level room and it was certainly not your normal hotel room. Very tall ceilings, about 13 feet I would guess, and very large antique furniture. The bathroom was absolutely spotless, looked like it had never been used. Shower built with glass blocks and old fashioned claw foot iron bathtub.

You can tour yourself around the castle and see everything. The attention to detail is amazing. The owner has gone to great lengths to restore it to its original state. Take the guided tour, well worth it to learn the history of the place. Make sure you get to see room 401, this is the top end room that is about as big as condo and very luxurious.

We ordered room service and the food was outstanding, arrived fast and hot, and was reasonably priced. The included breakfast the next morning was also good with a wide variety of fresh fruit, pastries, and all the usual stuff.

Night we stayed there was a charity fund raiser and two very well known celebrities were there, casually chatted with one in the elevator, that was pretty neat as he was very low key and down to earth.

Staff was very polite and helpful. I actually don't have a single negative thing to say about Oheka. I highly recommend this place, strolling around and dining makes you feel like a character from The Great Gatsby.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This review is long overdue as we had our babymoon back in November but I felt our stay was pleasant enough to write a review for Oheka. When I first tried to book the babymoon package, I asked the reservation manager whether I could switch out certain items but was told I could not. Tours also were not available on weekends because the castle was booked out for weddings. Basically, I got the feeling that it's either pay up for the package or leave it. Since I really wanted to plan a stay at Oheka for our babymoon, I tried just making a normal reservation and telling the staff that it was to celebrate our upcoming arrival. When we checked in, we were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade to a Whitney. Although the castle was booked for a wedding, we were able to enjoy walking around the castle grounds, take lots of photos and relax in the beautiful clawfoot tub in the room. The snack basket in the room was a nice touch and turn down service showed attention to detail. We made reservations at a nearby restaurant called Amicale for dinner to celebrate and came back ready to relax. The softness of the down pillows and sheets is unsurpassed - up to par with 5 star hotels like the Omni Berkshire in NYC. I took off one star on this review only because of the unaccommodating staff whom I initially spoke with in trying to book a modified babymoon package. Being in the service industry, It's important to be flexible. And if not, at least be courteous and not pretentious about it. Otherwise, everything else about our stay was perfect.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed at Oheka with my girlfriend for a romantic night and for a special place in which to propose. The castle is truly a wonder of refurbishment. The grandeur it has been restored to is incredible and really makes it the Versailles of North America. The staff were also very friendly and we both thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Definitively worth a visit for a night!

Bristow, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Oheka Castle on December 29, 2011 and found both positive and negative things. The negatives all have to do with the disappointing hotel accommodations.

First let me say that the grounds and the ambiance of the castle are awesome. We really enjoyed the beautiful décor and the groupon deal, which included a tour led by the fabulous Laura. Laura was wonderful and even received a round of applause from our large group at the end. She also was given many compliments for her ability to provide the group with excellent information about the estate in a captivating way. The owner, Gary, really did an amazing job restoring the structure to its original form. It is a great place to visit and I can certainly see why so many people have their weddings there.

Unfortunately, my husband and I were extremely disappointed with our rooms. If you notice, I use the word roomS as plural because we were actually moved after I complained about the first. I actually called the Hotel Manager and spoke to him about my situation after we left, so hopefully you will have a better experience.

First thing you should know is that the photos on the website of the rooms were definitely not what we saw in the two we were in. First we were put in a Chateu room. This was surprising because when I initially made the reservation, I requested a king size bed and a Whitney room. The young lady on the phone told me she had already reserved that for me and I thanked her. When we arrived, we were given a king size Chateu room and the lighting was very dim despite having all the switches to the highest levels. I felt like I was in an attic. When we put on the tv, the doors to the armoire kept closing. We tried several different times to get the doors to stay open, but they would not. We had to use the chairs to prop open the doors so that we could watch tv. I was also disappointed that the tvs were so old especially since the photos on the website show flat screen tvs.

When I called the front desk to ask why I was not in a Whitney room and to report that the doors to the armoire would not stay open, the young man was nice and found a Whitney room for me. I went down and exchanged keys and we moved down the hall. Unfortunately he did not inform me that we would now have a queen size bed, but I overlooked that because we now had a nicer bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. We unpacked our things and went to dinner.

Dinner was not the best service. It took 20 minutes to get our check. Our waitress, Rosa, was very nice and gave us our two beers on the house due to the lengthy wait. We appreciated her hospitality.

Back in our new room, I decided to try out the bathtub. Unfortunately there was something wrong with the water pressure. The tub took 45 minutes to fill above the jets. You did not misread that. It really took 45 minutes (from 9:45pm until 10:30). When the water finally reached 3-5”above the jets, I pushed the button to start them. Nothing happened, so I tried again. My husband tried too. Even though we figured the switches in the room had nothing to do with the tub, we tried flipping all the switches in an effort to get the tub to work but to no avail. I called downstairs to let them know. The following day when I got home and called to complain, the manager told me that there was a switch to control the jacuzzi and someone should have told me that. Unfortunately, even in the call I made to alert them to the problem, they did not tell me what to do.

So overall I gave this an average rating solely because of the accommodations. If I was just rating a trip to the Oheka Castle for a night on the town, I would say that the food is very overpriced, but I feel like you're paying to just be there which is really nothing short of amazing. It's a really cool bit of history that you learn on the tour as well, so for the tour and the castle grounds and main floors---I'd give this an EXCELLENT. For the accommodations---if you lower your expectations and don't expect it to be superior, you probably wouldn't be as disappointed as I was.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
OHEKA, Manager at Oheka Castle, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
We regret that the reviewer experienced so many issues with their guestroom and thank them for taking the time to let us know about their experience at Oheka. We have taken appropriate actions within the company to ensure better service is provided in the future.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Overall, a really nice experience, friendly bartender. We really enjoyed going into the little town and shopping and grabbing dinner both nights. As an Interior Designer, the thing that drove me crazy was the lack of going all the way with decor, it felt like some French style furniture were sort of tossed in there with some silk arrangements. There was not a sense of design plan. Coziness lacked due to very little ambient lighting. It is beautiful and has loads of potential. Just felt like it needed to be tweeked up a couple notches in style and decor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I agree with others that this place is really hit or miss. The castle is gorgeous and some of the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable on its history while others less so. I don't mind that it's lacking in some hotel amenities because the rooms are luxurious. My main complaint is that the food is subpar at best. We dined in the restaurant on site. Our meals were pre-ordered a week in advance and even so, the 3 course meal still lasted 2 1/2 hours! Even then, we still hadn't received the third course and had to ask for it to be wrapped so we could just take it to our room. The server told us this was possible but there was still a delay and she finally told us she would have it brought up to our room. I wouldn't have minded the wait so much had the food been worth it but it wasn't worth the wait or the price. The best part of the meal was the salad. The entrees were average and the risotto terrible. Same goes for the dessert. We were dining with 3 other couples, none of whom seemed to leave happy and one that voiced a complaint about the wait.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!