“the true hidden gem of huntington village. 1 block off the beaten path” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Vivo

7 Gerard Street, Huntington, NY 11743
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Porto Vivo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 201 Restaurants in Huntington
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stewart Avenue
Huntington, New York
“the true hidden gem of huntington village. 1 block off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We celebrated our daughters birthday at Porto Vivo this past Monday. It was quite an experience. The moment we walked through the large glass doors we were greeted by a hospitable hostess, and from that moment on I knew it was going to be a great experience. We started with a nice bottle of wine, which the Sommelier recommended. We ordered the tuna tartare, prosuitto pizzette, calamari, and zucchini blossoms. all was very good, my favorite was the pizzette. My daughter is an extremely picky eater, the chef was ever so accommodating. I had the branzino, it was fabulous! My husband had the veal, yum! The server brought out our dessert with a candle on it. it was a very nice touch. We enjoyed the entire experience at Porto Vivo. Will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2012

Plainview, New York
“Potentially better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Visited twice this week, once for fathers day brunch and the next day with my wife because of the lobster dinner special.

Brunch was "ok", menu had more the enough choices and the prices were surprisingly reasonable but the portion sizes were small and my adult daughter was brought an entree she did not order. The error was quickly corrected. Not a terrible experience by any means, I would say wholly adequate.

The next night my wife and I went absent reservations for te lobster special, the wife loves lobster, me, not so much. For $30 she had a 2 lb lobster with half an ear of corn and a potato or 2. She enjoyed the lobster, it did seem easily big enough with the only "negative" being the server (not our waitress) dropped one claw on the floor when he put the dish down. Ok, it has a shell and the meat is inside so he rinsed it off and brought it back. No biggie. Still, a mite disconcerting for a restaurant advertising quite clearly on its walls as to its fine dining atmosphere and "upscale" image.

The waitress was friendly and as efficient as she could be given that she was also the only one tending bar and serving dinner in the bar area. The main dining room on the first level was full and we had no reservations so we sat by the bar up a few steps. The bar was not crowded and it was quiet enough. A singer and a guitarist entertained and that was nice.

My entree of mussels fra diavlo was a nice portion size and tasty. My entree of liguini "porto vivo" was good but small for $18. Had I not had the appetizer, I would have been hungry after dinner even after finishing their bread basket of foccaccia type rolls which were good. And, in what became a pattern, the waitress splashed some pasta sauce on my slacks as he cleared the table. An accident and I do not go "crazy" over such things "but"....

The bill came to $93 with tax and tip which I think was reasonable on the whole. Two glasses of wine (evidently some sort of "special" since they were only $6 each), an appetizer, the lobster dinner and my pasta entree.

Ladies night is Thursdays ($ 5 house drinks) and bar menu which looked nice. We might try that next time and hope for just slightly better service at dinner. Place has the potential to be better then our brunch and dinner experiences although both were not without at least some merit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oxnard, California
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Porto Vivo is a terrific "nuevo" Italian restaurant and is faretter than most of the overrated, pretentious restaurants that populate the Huntington area. The service is friendly, yet very professional, the decor in the main dining room is very contemporary and airy, and the menu and wine list are top notch. I started with a creative and yummy crispy veal wonton and my freinds had salads which they loved. My main dish was a terrific fruite de mare over black squid ink pasta. There was an abundance of very fresh seafood in a delicious oil and garlic sauce. My friends had haddock and baked clam pizzetta and raved about their dishes. I was too full for dessert but the "table" had a yummy vanilla rapberry gelato. Add a bottle of Banfo Chianti and the dinner was memorable. The prices are a bit high, but was isn't in this area.

• Visited May 2012
NY
“fine dining wannabe, clueless as to how to make you feel welcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife was running late, I asked to be seated - was told my table's not ready yet - an obvious lie, but so what, I sat at the bar as ordered. Overworked bartender evnetually got me a glass of wine. I helped myself to a menu (the stack was next to me) after i noticed the owner(?) grab some menus for his friends - I made eye contact with him and started to reach for a menu - in most circumstances like this a "hello" and "would you like a menu" would have been appropriate, but i got nothing - apparently i am the invisible man! Staff chatter (I was at the end where the waiters collect drinks) not impressive - attitude towards job and patrons not good. I ordered calamari (actually frito misto) while waiting. Bartender asked if i wanted bread, I declined as i was going to eat dinner. Of course, someone else's bread arrived - tried to alert runner, but he went out of his way to make sure i didn't ask him anything. Told bartender at my next oportunity, who rolled his eyes (apparently a common failing here) and relocated the bread to its rightful owner (it had been sitting there for 5 minutes - who knows what i had done to it)....Hostess poked her head into the bar once or twice, looked right at me and moved on (Invisible Man! - she might have asked whether i still wanted to be seated, but apparently once my presence no longer annoyed her she forgot all about me.) Wife eventually showed up and made her way up to bar without stopping at hostess. I went back down to inquire about possibly sitting down - just a few minutes. Settled up at bar, waited and waited - finally decided to leave (PS - I have had better calamari just about anywhere...). Hostess stopped us from leaving as our table was suddenly ready...trudged upstairs and was presented with a small table for two (which we both hate (I am 6'3", 250) - asked if we could sit at one of three empty four-tops - reply "No - that's a four-top". We left - the decor and ambience was nice, but that's about the only positive. I absolutely refuse to spend money where i am treated as an annoyance. A study in contrast - We went a couple blocks away to Black and Blue, which was packed (we found out later it was restaurant week) - they were seating people in a tent outside. In contrast to Porto, we were treated warmly, surprisingly seated almost immediately at a table that opened up in the bar and had drinks and ordered in roughly the time it took for the bartender to get me a glass of wine at porto.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Huntington, New York
“Fantasti Service, Ambiance, Food... the entire package!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have been waiting for a long time to try this place... finally, we made it on an early Saturday afternoon to ensure we got a seat by the bar. When we came in, the very friendly hostess pointed us towards the bar area and wished us a enjoyable time. When we entered the locale, the place seems like a little bit of a Picasso maze with stairs going up and down. This is the description of Porto Vivo from their own website:

"The design of the space emphasizes the history and the character of the building, while offering a contemporary rustic ambiance.

"The main floor dining room offers a grand entrance with floor to ceiling glass windows and marble tile. The open dining room is accented by authentic brick, dark hardwood floors, exposed duct work and original ceiling beams, and distressed brown leather booths in the center of the room.

"Rustic wrought iron light fixtures add to the stylish and lively atmosphere in the main floor dining room. The bar and lounge area on the second floor offers a sophisticated feel with a black marble circular bar, high bar tables and a blue stone patio just outside the bar area.

"The third floor dining room has a cozy feel with carpeted floors, rustic booths, a modern gas fireplace and onyx wood table tops. A catwalk between the two upper dining areas offers an open view to the lower dining room. The atmosphere is complete with an exclusive music list piped throughout the space and you will see occasional appearances from world-renowned musicians on the corner stage in the bar and lounge."

We opted for the bar, and the very friendly, handsome and chatty bartender Joe took care of us immediately. I've never seen a harder working bartender at the same time being efficient, friendly and making one of the best martinis we have tasted. My only draw back is that the bar is very small, not for the customers but for the workers who kept running into each other, having to get on a step-up to get supplies from the upper shelves and at the same time, serve guest, food and make the drinks for the entire place... It did create an amazing sight to see the waiters going up and down the Picasso-like stairs with trays full of drinks; which reminds me, the management at Porto Vivo need to add a system where the drinks order is printed at a station for the bartenders instead of the waiters having to come down to tell the bartender the order, go back to the table, come back to the bar and deliver the drinks.... just a little investment in technology goes a long way!

After enjoying our first round of drinks, we looked at the bar menu which was quite delicious just to look at. We ordered: (1) Fried Calamari Puttanesca with red and green sauce - $11.50, (2) Seared Carpaccio of Wagyu Beef with arugula and shaved parmesan - $13 (3) Bianca Pizza (alfredo sauce, onion and parmesan) - $13 and (4) Prosciutto, Arugula and Fresh Figs Pizza - $18.

The Fried Calamari was well cooked with the salsa verde being the biggest surprise as it was delicious and with a very nice flavor against the salty calamari while the red sauce having a little bit of a sweet taste to it. The Carpaccio was very good as well with a huge portion of it. The fresh bread that came with it was very warm and soft. The Bianca pizza was the best of all of the choices which left us with the desire for more. Sadly, the Prosciutto pizza was quite disappointing with too much arugula on top that you could not even see the pizza and the flavor was not as good as the Bianca.

We ordered a couple of glasses of the Argentinian Malbec ($10) with a nice portion served by our favorite bartender Joe. We took the time to enjoy the view of the evening crowd coming in and how the place was starting to get so crowded that every table at the restaurant was taken and even a few people having to wait for a table or bar chair.

Restrooms are located in different levels of the restaurant making it easy for all customers to use. The bathrooms were clean, with plenty of real hand towels (not paper towels - even though they are available). As we were leaving, the hostess opened the door for us and gave us a very friendly smile; wishing us a good night and prompt return.

The Final Verdict:

Food Quality/Flavor: 5.0 out of 5.0

Wine/Alcohol Selection: 5.0 out of 5.0

Price Value: 5.0 out of 5.0

Bathrooms Cleanliness: 5.0 out of 5.0

Final Score: 40 out of 40 (100 out of 100% or A+ grade)

Final Comment: This is a place that ambiance, service and food quality will make you come back for more. That says it all...

• Visited October 2011