“Best Breakfast at this B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Fairlawn Inn
7872 Main Street, PO Box 182, Hunter, NY 12442   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn
“Best Breakfast at this B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

What a gorgeous B&B, filled with attractive art and antiques and the best cooked-to-order eggs and omelettes for breakfast. The innkeeper is extremely knowledgable about all of the local sites and restaurants and gave excellent advice. The room was large, clean and filled with light. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Massapequa Park, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My wife and I had never stayed at a B & B before and were pleasantly surprised by the experience. The building is over 100 years old but the room was in excellent condition and the bed quite comfortable. Chuck, the owner and manager, gave us some good recommendations for dinner and his own breakfast menu was more extensive than expected. There's even a pool table downstairs. The one request he makes is that you give him an approximate arrival time and call him if you will be early or delayed - he owns an antique store in the area and has to leave the inn from time to time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Old but very nice BB .
Only downside is you can hear the guest in next room cos the walls are wooden.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Geismar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Fairlawn Inn is a fabulous gem run by an impeccable gentleman (Chuck) who also makes a gourmet breakfast, just 2.5 hours from NYC. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, and the house has abundant lounging areas and a large airy dining room all decorated with antiques and eye candy art. This was my first time skiing in the Northeast so I wasn't sure what to expect. Thursday Ladies Day ski pass comes with free skiis, boots, helmet, lunch and lesson at $44, The B&B location can not be beat, just minutes from the slopes. If you are looking for uncrowded slopes midweek this is the place to head for. They have the best facilities I've ever seen for beginners. (The local schools run their physical education department through this facility) I can truthfully say that after a long day on the slopes I looked forward to returning to Fairlawn to be completely rejuvenated for my next day....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I have stayed at the Fairlawn on numerous occasions and every time I walk through the door I am impressed and feel like I am in my home-away-from-home. Chuck is a gracious, fun-loving, creative Innkeeper and has a fabulous eye for detail. All the rooms are sparklingly clean, are beautifully appointed and emit a feeling of warmth and coziness. It is no wonder he has earned the award for the #1 Inn of Distinction in New York and it is well deserved. Breakfast is always amazing and when he is not too busy, we love to have him join us for breakfast. He is an intelligent, well traveled, entertaining man and I always learn something when he joins us in friendly conversation. I love the Inn, I adore Chuck, and the town of Hunter is evolving into this wonderful destination town. I will continue to stay at the Fairlawn for a trip to Hunter would not be complete without a stay in the little piece of heaven nestled in the Catskills and sharing time with Chuck.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

If you don't like to feel like a guest in somebody else's house - don't go. This was our first B&B experience and we are never doing B&B again. The reason - we felt like unwelcomed relatives rather than hotel guests.

The place:
The house is well over 100 years old, well maintained but obviously don't except modern luxury. Claw foot tubs and tiny sinks with separate cranes for hot and cold water are examples of the old charm. We were expecting these amenities as they were well advertised. There are rust like stains in the tub and in the sink -- they are simply old not that they are dirty. The showers are great – very strong water flow, but one of the mornings there was no hot water. The walls and floors are very thin – you can hear everything that goes on in your neighbor’s rooms, including flushing toilets, TV and squeaking floors. If you are a light sleeper, you’ve been warned.
The innkeeper got an attitude, but probably because he cares a lot about his hotel. He gets very defensive when being criticized.

The decorations are mixed and we didn’t find them to be very stylistic but rather random but again this is the owner’s choice. The good thing is that there are books all over the place and we enjoyed some of the cooking books we found. Also there is a fire place in one of the rooms and in the guest room on the first floor that was very pleasant to sit near.

The thermostat is set up in a way that one room controls the temperature for several adjacent rooms.

The food:
Breakfasts were great. The owner truly cares about the food. The owner made available granola bars and other snacks which came very handy while skiing (which is really a 5 min’s drive from the B&B).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
In response to the guests concerns, a Bed and Breakfast; unlike hotels or motels do not have a full time staff. Much that is done is done by the innkeeper. At b&b’s you go to get a charming home with an interesting bedroom and an included breakfast. This guest arrived many hours later than the check in time (4 hours approx.) and did not want to hear of any of the orientation. They were unhappy when they came in and that never changed. Part of their party arrived about 45minutes earlier, I offered them keys to the room which they declined and I made them comfortable in the TV room with snacks and soft drinks. I replenished the hot water for the Mom when she arrived with the rest of the party so she could make hot tea. I tried to dissuade this guest from booking earlier in the day as I thought it not a good fit – she had younger children, wanted to add additional children to the rooms which would have overburdened the dining room in the morning. She persisted and I tried to accommodate her. I added a rollaway to one of the rooms just in case, she did not request this. Her comment is true that I do care, too much in most cases. It is difficult to see commentary like this when I went above and beyond to insure they were comfortable and that we accommodated them in spite of my concerns about their stay and number in their party.

It is an older home and does have period sinks and tubs; they are more often complimented than criticized. About the water, apparently everyone must have showered in the same period of time, it hardly ever happens, but when it does the hot water runs low. In 10 minutes it is back to temperature, had the guest called us we could have asked them to wait and they would have all the hot water they needed. There is no system available that can keep up with 10 people showering at the same time.

About the rules of the house, the kitchen is not available to guests, this is very common. Hotels do not offer access to the kitchen and I do not also. When a guest checks in I offer an orientation that takes 2 or 3 minutes as some guests have not been to a B&B before (as was the case with this guest). I would like them to know that they have access to all the common area rooms, some information about their rooms, timing for breakfast, complimentary snacks, sodas, cookies and hot water for tea, area restaurant information and what to do in an emergency. It is two or three minutes and intended to optimize the guests stay, let them know all we have to offer and insure they do not lock themselves out and have to access the innkeeper 24/7.
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Do read all the reviews and notice just how many peope complain of Chuck's rude attitude. Chuck seems to forget that as the owner he should be overly accomodating while providing stellar service to all guests. There are a million rules guests must abide by, such as -- NO ONE is allowed in the kitchen but Chuck, no guest is to use the front door for entrance/exit, breakfast is 8-9am SHARP or else no breakfast will be served for you. Breakfast at 8-9am is a bit short; I suppose Chuck has better things to do then servicing his guests. I noticed Chuck responded to some reviews and has said that special accomodations are made during breakfast for guests' satifaction. FALSE! Do not let this man fool you. If you ask for something not on the menu, Chuck becomes annoyed and responds with attitude. Another issue is that the walls are paper thin. You will hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the other rooms, plus if anyone in the Inn is showering, you will hear the water loudly running through the pipes. It is loud enough to wake you up at night. However, this did not bother us all that much as we understand the house is 106 years old.

We also received a call from Chuck 20mins to 11am reminding us that we must check out by 11am. This was the most unwelcoming feeling I have ever felt at an Inn or hotel to date. We felt as if we were being rushed to vacate the room! Chuck could have approached us in a nicer manner and perhaps call to inquire about our stay while reminding us of the 11am check out. Kindness is too much to ask for from this man! It was completely unnecessary for Chuck to "make sure [we] were aware". OBVIOUSLY we were aware! We did listen to all the million rules relayed upon check in!

Also, I overheard Chuck saying how important TripAdvisor reveiws are to him. I hope you take my advice and do not decide to stay here. Save yourself the trouble of a pretentious and arrogant host who will dampen your experience and spend your money elsewhere! SERVICE is what makes a B&B excellent; the charm and decor are extras.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!