“The best getaway ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Fairlawn Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“The best getaway ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

I've started writing this review a few times now, I just can't seem to get the words right. This was the BEST get away I've had in... well, maybe ever! I decided to take my boyfriend away for his birthday and did a lot of research on Bed and Breakfasts around the NYC. The photos and reviews here were exceptional so I decided to take a chance. I tell you something, I was not disappointed. My expectations were beyond exceeded. We arrived late, and knew we would so Chuck, the innkeeper, had a key waiting for us, with perfect directions leading us to our room, the Rose Room. It was beautiful, and comfortable. We read through the history of the house, and watched a little TV before bed. I slept like a rock. Woke up to the gorgeous autumn mountain side and an AMAZING breakfast. The breakfast was cooked to order, with juice, fruit, and a baked good. The house is gorgeous, pool table, games, sitting room, fountain outside, firepit! It was as cozy, No! Cozier than being at home. Chuck was so helpful, and kind. Matt as well. We were welcomed like family and I really feel like I know them. I honestly can't wait to go back. And we WILL be back. This is the perfect, perfect getaway for any time of year. Right on Hunter Mountain. They've got a very very green operations going on as well. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap in a large container in the shower, which had amazing water pressure and temperature. The room was nice and warm, and had a TON of extra blankets if we would have gotten cold. I could go on forever, it was the best get away. And I recommend it wholeheartedly!

Room Tip: Rose Room was perfectly comfortable for a couple, and gorgeous too. Queen bed, 'fainting couch...
Green Features: They really are going green. I didn't know this before I went, but was pleasantly surprised with the efforts taken to help the environment. They even have a skylight to help save on electricity!!!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
WOW.... we live for reviews like this.

It is rewarding to have a property that matches guests needs and it is always a great thing to exceed guests expectations when they visit. We try hard to maintain the historic property and also include modern conveniences like Flat screen TV's with DVD players.

We have been green since acquiring the property and that process is continual. Our most recent additions are sola-tubes in the rooms that are shaded by the porches and in the upstairs lobby. The bring in natural sunlight and also have LED lights in them to take advantage of that inexpensive and green way to light those rooms at night.

We obviously enjoyed our interactions with these guests and are very appreciative of their glowing commentary. It must makes us more determined to give this experience to every guest that comes here. Thanks again, your review exceeded our expectations also.

Come back often and soon, it would be great to have that positive energy here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

This inn is utterly unique, every detail is beautiful from the house, garden to the gorgeous antiques. Our rooms Rose and Opal were so splendiferous and comfortable, we did not really want to leave the house. After a day of freezing on zip lines we relished soaking away the pain in our pedestal baths. The pool table was fun and the breakfast was amazing. Chuck was very entertaining about sharing stories of all the antiques he has acquired. I was especially touched because he emailed after our visit to let me know I had left my iPhone charger behind and very efficiently managed to get it to me at a forwarding address. We would love to return in better weather to really enjoy the outside space around the house and garden
Pollok family, London

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
It is always nice as an innkeeper to see families enjoying the pool table, the common areas and the amenities offered at the inn. They were a pleasure to have at the inn and conversations with them were a great addition to my day.

One of the best parts of inn keeping is meeting international visitors and asking questions about their countries and what is similar and what is different. Also being able to ask questions about things and places I would not want to miss if I visit their area.

When we found the charger it was obvious it used 220 instead of American 110 voltage and I thought it would be difficult to replace, therefore the sense of urgency in getting it to this guest.

I hope that this family come back and enjoys our area and inn again soon. Thanks for the compliments and great review.
Oyster Bay, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

We stayed for two days to attend the NYS Garlic festival and also do some hiking in the area. Like other reviews stated, the Inn is within minutes of Hunter Mountain, and 15 mins from North South Lake a great place for hiking. Chuck was pleasant and clearly committed to the little details that made that a nice place to stay. The Inn is beautifully decorated, our room was comfortable with a small fireplace, and the attention to little details such as the soap and shampoo provided for guests was a nice touch. Each evening Chuck started the fire pit for the guests, which was a nice time to get together and enjoy a brisk evening around the fire. Breakfast was first class, and overall we were very happy with the Inn, and will return again in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Glenwood, which had a double Jacuzzi for a little more $$.
Green Features: Chuck is committed to providing a Inn which is environmentally responsible.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
Thanks for your review and compliments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast and fire pit. We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

If your looking for B&B this is the place. Our first time staying at a B&B. Love love love.....The minute we arrived the innkeeper Chuck greeted us. Gave us suggestions on places to eat and visit. Our room (Rose) beautiful. Grounds were beautiful, garden with a patio where you can sit. At night the fire pit is put on. Within seconds from Hunter mountain this place is definitely the place to be. Morning breakfast out of this world, Chuck is one amazing cook (Pumpkin, walnut pancakes DELISH). We are booking another stay for the winter.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2014
Thanks Gina,
You were a pleasure to have at the inn and we definitely appreciate your glowing comments. We look forward to seeing you in the winter or maybe sooner!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This old Victorian building is quite beautiful, with lovely gardens where one can sit and relax. The innkeeper is very personable and helpful with ideas of things to do and see, but, most of all, he's a great cook. Full breakfasts are wonderful to look forward to. Our room was small so there was no place to sit except on the bed. The bathroom was also small , but everything worked well. We stayed midweek so there was only 1-2 other couples so it was quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for the commentary and nice review. We are glad you enjoyed the property and the breakfasts and had a relaxing time. We hope you will return soon and we were glad to have you in our beautiful area. Next time choose a room with a six foot claw foot tub or the one with the two person jacuzzi.
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed at the Fairlawn Inn in Hunter Mountain, NY while attending the Celtic Festival. The Inn is a quaint but beautiful B&B. It is very close to the mountain so it is an ideal location. The Innkeeper Chuck is accomodating and a wealth of information about the area. We have stayed here many times! The rooms all have their own bathrooms and some even have fireplaces. The breakfasts are to die for and Chuck has a TV, pool table and an outdoor fire pit and comfy chairs and ottomans to relax in after your day exploring. While the floors are creaky and you can hear your neighbor taking a shower, it is normal for an old B&B, but don't let that deter you from a wonderful, relaxing experience in the mountains.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are a bit noisier in the morning when everyone is going to breakfast. Rooms ups...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
It was great to have this couple back after a few years away. What a delight to see them, catch up and visit. We hope they return every year again for Celtic and appreciate their compliments and support.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was my second year staying with Chuck at the Fairlawn Inn. Once again, our stay was beyond wonderful! Upon arrival was like visiting family! Between the comfort, decor and OMG the food! I find it difficult to find one negative thing to say, I just love this B&B! Officially the standard to which I will hold all future B&B's! Reservations made for next year and I can't wait!

Room Tip: Front of the house rooms offer the largest bathrooms. But I've taken the tour... all of the roo...
Green Features: SO GREEN and I love it! Among other green factors, my favorite is the bulk in-shower dispenser of top-of-the-line (Doc bronners soap and Paul Mitchell Shampoo and conditioner). Can request individual soaps and shamp/condit. if needed/desired.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
We appreciate the positiveness of the review and that you noticed our green practices. Glad you enjoyed your stay and will see you (hopefully) again soon. I love to cook and think you should start your day with a healthy but filling meal. It is great to hear the guests interacting over the meal and the clean plates a good indicator of their satisfaction with breakfast.

Being that half our name is Breakfast it should be memorable. The Beds are also complimented and covered with updated linens and high thread count sheets... we then have a good start. Add the best guests in the world and there is the finish. Thanks again and see you soon.

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!