“Gorgeous Victorian & Generous Host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Fairlawn Inn
You added Fairlawn Inn to your Saves list
7872 Main Street, PO Box 182, Hunter, NY 12442   |
Special Offer
Wintertripadvisor special
Ranked #1 of 5 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Sandwich, MA
“Gorgeous Victorian & Generous Host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Chuck is a generous host who provides a large, cooked-to-order breakfast with an unusual number of choices for a B&B. There are three rooms to lounge in downstairs, with a pool table in one and a stocked snack bar in another. Exceptionally beautiful grounds, lush and green, and full of flowers. The location is perfect for hiking, skiing, and restaurants. People who choose B&Bs are seeking the individual and unusual, and Fairlawn Inn is a large Victorian with original woodwork and built-ins, ornate Arts-and-Craft movement wallpaper, and an interesting and eclectic mix of antiques and artwork.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thanks for the great review and comments. This review came from some former innkeepers so their generous comments make this review that much relevant to us. Having reviews of this quality from people that have done this before is quite the compliment.

We enjoyed visiting with this couple over their three day stay and look forward to them returning. We make every effort to maintain the grounds and the inn in it's entirety to as nice a level as possible. The home is 110 years old this year. It has the ambiance of the past with as many modern amenities that a home of this age can provide. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was my second year staying at the Fairlawn Inn while attending Mountain Jam music festival at Hunter Mountain. The inn is within walking distance to the mountain, and both times my husband and I had a fantastic stay. The room we stayed in (Greenwood) is charming, and the breakfasts made by Chuck are delicious!! In the summer evenings the firepit on the patio is very relaxing after a long day. Chuck never fails to have some delicious pastry available in the evening, along with plenty of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. My husband and I look forward to returning in the future-both for future Mountain Jams and perhaps some fall foliage.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thanks for the compliments. This couple has been a welcome addition to the regulars that come every year (some for 9 years) for Mountain Jam. The weekend is like a family reunion with folks form N. Carolina, Ontario Canada and some guests that are more local. It is a relaxing time and everyone is always glad to see each other and socialize when they are not at the Mountain for the music. We appreciate having everyone year to year and look forward to seeing them at other times too. Friendships have blossomed and everyone including the innkeeper and staff really enjoy their visit. Hope to see you soon and thank the grandparents for babysitting so you can come each year.
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I got married at my mother-in-law's country house in the area last weekend, and we stayed at the Fairlawn until Monday morning. From the planning to the set-up, we were doing everything ourselves, and more than anything, we were hoping for a relaxing B&B experience that would provide a nice break from all of the chaos. I'm happy to say that the Fairlawn Inn provided that, and so much more. Chuck the innkeeper gave us a warm welcome upon our arrival, and went out of his way to make us feel at home during our stay (the lovely bottle of wine he left for us in our room was a welcome and appreciated surprise!). Our room itself, the Gazebo Room, was beautifully appointed-cozy, immaculate, and elegant, and full of light, thanks to the many windows. The claw-foot bathtub in the bathroom was lovely, and the shower itself was quite invigorating. Though we were only able to enjoy one breakfast, it was delicious and comforting. Chuck was also kind enough to provide extra coffee when we wound up making friends with another couple during breakfast (who turned out to be from our neighborhood, Astoria, Queens) and stayed awhile to chat. Chuck, thanks so much for making our stay very special and very relaxing. It was exactly what we needed! We look forward to returning to the Fairlawn again in the future, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable and relaxing B&B experience in the Hunter Mountain area. The Fairlawn is top notch!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
We enjoyed having this couple at the inn. Thanks for the compliments, we are glad we provided a nice respite from the activities you coordinated for the wedding and hope you return often. Congratulations again.
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over a long weekend in February. This was our first time at this Inn. We have been to Hunter many times and have stayed at a variety of places in the area. The price of the hotel is very reasonable considering its close proximity to Hunter Mountain which was a huge plus. The check in/check out policies were very easy. The Inn is meticulously maintained. If you are looking for a cookie cutter hotel this is not the place for you. Our room was on the second floor and featured a queen bed as well as a day bed. The bed was very comfortable. The furnishings were very nice and the room was very clean. While the controls for the heating in the room were locked so guests are unable to change the temperature, our room was plenty warm. The bathroom was nicely outfitted with a claw foot tub and overhead shower. The tub was nice touch after a long day of skiing. The only problem was that after I was done in the tub, there was no hot water for the shower. I waited about 15 minutes and the water was still cold. We did not have time to wait because we had a dinner reservation. However, in the morning we did not have hot water again. We were checking out so I decided to wait until I got home to shower. After we were done packing to leave about 15 minutes later, I tried the hot water again and it was working. This is really my only complaint about the place is that the hot water was a bit unreliable. We did not report the issue with the hot water to the manager as we were only there for one night and decided to make due. Another thing to note, and while it did not bother me, you can hear everything that your neighbors are doing. I could hear the showering and flushing of the toilet as if it were in my own room. This is an older property so while it was not surprising, it is worth mentioning. I was disappointed that we were not able to stay for the breakfast as there was a good variety of homemade food on the menu and the dining area was truly beautiful. It would be really nice if the hotel offered dinner and drinks in addition to breakfast. We would definitely consider this property for our next trip to Hunter.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thanks for the nice review. The inn is an historic home and some of the rooms are not as well insulated between walls as others so it is possible to hear noises from other rooms. We apologize for that but would be tearing down 110 year old wainscoted walls and period wallpapers to sound insulate between rooms.

We have had a cold winter with record setting and unreasonably cold weather. In the coldest weather the heating system that heats the rooms in addition to the hot water can be somewhat challenged. This is especially true on the few extremely cold days when guests return from skiing and shower all at the same time. Fortunately it rebounds quickly but on rare occasions it is a little challenged.

Again, thanks for your kind words and when you return the hot water should not be an issue as it is not the norm at our inn.
Wilmington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Chuck at the Fairlawn could not have been more attentive and thoughtful during my visit. Everything was tailored to our needs. Food and drinks delicious. Top marks on the shower pressure and I loved all the luxurious furnishings and carpets. Wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy another delicious breakfast!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rebecca,

Thanks for the great review. We are glad you enjoyed the hospitality of the inn and look forward to you returning.
Keeseville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed at the Fairlawn with a colleague while attending business nearby. It was bitterly cold yet the Inn (and our room) was warm and cozy, and everything was presented perfectly. Chuck was the perfect host, willing to share his evening with us telling stories and filling us in on the history of the Inn. It was very evident he takes pride in his Inn and goes above and beyond - from the email confirmation of our reservation (including recommendations of a place to have dinner during our stay) to the warm send off the next morning.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I will recommend the Fairlawn to anyone I know.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
We appreciate your compliments and also enjoyed the conversations. We hope to see you soon and look forward to seeing some of your friends also.
Eldred, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I made a resevation by phone I was quoted one rate, then when my email conformation came it was higher than the quoted rate.I sent an email to ask if this was a typo,then I got an email right back saying I dont have a booked room because hes waiting on last years customers to get back to him.Not a good way to make new customers! When I book I expect a room! Not oh I dont know yet.If this how the service of how this B&B is run, Im sure I dont want to saty there!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
First of all I apologized for the mistake and communicated with her almost immediately. In reference to the rate, I quoted a range of rates for this guest and the room I thought was available was more expensive than the least expensive room. In my conversation with this prospective guest, I indicated that the difference in rate was minimal and I would honor that rate regardless of the room that was available. I was trying to accommodate her and get her what she wanted, which was a three night stay.

Last year’s guest attended the Taste of Country Festival and had re-booked that room prior to leaving but there was a question about what days they were staying and if they were staying at all. The festival in question changed their start date so I wanted to insure they got what they wanted. A courtesy that anyone would expect as a returning guest and what I thought was a good thing.

The guest that posted this review was interested in a three night stay which I can now accommodate as the guest got back to me and said they could not come. So ultimately she would have been accommodated had she been a little more patient. We do not often make mistakes on reservations, it was caught in minutes but due to the lateness of the hour I waited to communicate with her the next morning. I thought I had a pleasant conversation with this reviewer and clarified that I could possibly accommodate her request for three nights. Since posting this review and indicating she did not want to stay here we have added the room to
inventory.

Again, we do not often make mistakes about reservations, maybe two in eleven years. We communicated with her almost immediately about the issue and ultimately could have accommodated her request for the three day stay.

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!