“Dirty!!! Disgusting!!! Smelly!!! Noisy!!! Unprofessional” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hunter Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hunter
Hunter Inn
You added Hunter Inn to your Saves list
7433 Main Street, P.O. Box 355, Hunter, NY 12442   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hunter
clinton
“Dirty!!! Disgusting!!! Smelly!!! Noisy!!! Unprofessional”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

The Main Room: The room smelled musty and dirty.There was dirt and debris (including an old piece of candy) all along the edge of the bed and by the night stand where someone was too lazy to clean. There were dead bugs on the window sill. The curtains were dirty, cracked, and old. The beds were saggy, springy , stained and appeared to have been pulled out of a dumpster (SEE PICTURE BELOW).

Bathroom: Paint was peeling off the wall, screws were sticking out of the bathtub, tape was covering the shower head, and cobwebs were hanging from the ceiling. Every time another guest flushed the toilet or turned the water on the temp changed from extremely hot to extremely cold.

Food: As if the room were not bad enough we decided to get something small to eat at the bar. My boyfriend got the cream of broccili soup that was watery and appeared to be swamp water. I ordered the fresh mozzerella and tomatoes. The mozzerella was not even close to fresh and they left the sticker on the tomato.

Noise: You could hear people talking thorugh the walls. The time that we stayed there was an event. The person who we booked the room with told us there would be an event but did not inform us that we would then be staying in a frat house (yelling, doors slamming, running up and down the stairs) and we paid for the quieter side of the hotel

Management: We were woken up at 1am our second night because of the loud guests. I called the front desk to complain and I was met with a rude obnoxious man that told me, We can't control the guests, they have a bar what do you expect (Note: we were at the opposite end of the bar) There appeared to be only one person cleaning the entire inn.

Beacuse of the horrible conditions we decided to check out a day early. When I told the owner or manager why we were checking out all she had to say was well then why didn't you leave earlier. I explained that we were trying to make the most of it. She still wanted to charge us and we told her we would not pay, she said that not only could she charge us she would charge the full amount. When she came to our room to see the horror she acted like it was no big deal and said, This isn't the Marriot, what do you expect it's not like you are paying $300 a night . After we had settled and they agreed not to charge us for our early depature (they were lucky we paid for the first 2 nights) she came up to me and said, ya know you were there for two nights how do I know it wasn't you who left the candy
Just very poor unprofessional managment not once did she apologize for the state of our room or anything that went on during out stay. I would NEVER go back to this hotel and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone. Anyone who reads the positive reviews and thinks about staying I would really do some research first. Please see the pictures below, some did not turn out clear as they were taken with my cell phone, but the first picture says it all Feel free to contact me, I am being 100% honest.

• Liked — Nothing!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

I booked the Hunter Inn after finding them on the internet (yikes!) for a two day mid-week family ski vacation. I've booked condos and inns off the net before and have had mixed results. We were pleasantly surprised.

The price, for a family of 4, of $198 per night included a deluxe mountain view suite - the kids went bonkers over the second floor loft in the room - , 2 adult tickets to Hunter and Windham mountains, free drink tickets at their bar and a great free breakfast buffet.

Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. A great staff. The kids enjoyed playing around in the game room, playing on the laptop by the fire place on their free WiFi, and playing their free PS2.

The room was clean, which is all we care about, and we actually slept well. The inn backs up to Hunter Mountain (you see the slopes from the balcony) and it's 7-8 miles to Windham Mountain.

We'll be going back.

• Liked — Value, proximity, cleanliness, staff
  • Disliked — Heat controls
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
NEW JERSEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I stayed at the Hunter Inn for 3 nights. From the moment we walked into the loby we loved it. The room we selected was the parlor suite, which is amazing!! The room is very clean, spacious. I would recomend a suite to anyone traveling with childeren or larger parties. The loft upstairs offers privacy or just to get away if you need some space. The room also includes a whirlpool tub, granite tops. After a long day skiing you can relax at the bar and have some complimentary drink while the kids play in the game room. In the morning you can come downstairs and enjoy a huge complimentary breakfast. I have never seen a breakfast spread like this one ever, at least not complimentary, they offer a wide variety of food for everyone. The hot tub outside is great, just make sure you make your reservavation at the desk. I can't say enough good things about this place. The Hunter Inn is definetly a place we will keep coming back to. I have absouloutly nothing bad to say. RATE:10++++

• Liked — great service, great breakfast, bar and game room
  • Disliked — I loved everything about it. I have nothing bad to say!!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

I went to this hell hole New Years Eve Weekend and the cleaning lady stole my makeup and used my brush and left her blond hair in it. I complain to the Owner and she acted as if I was wrong for telling her that someone stole my items and violated my personal belongings. The owner was so rude she said "I cant do anything about it". I said you are the owner yes you can and she said" I'm sorry ask your roommates to see if they took anything". I was in shock ever since she said that. According to her there was no way she could compensate me what so ever. No free drinks, room upgrade, complimentry anything. To top it off our bathroom was broken. We went to the front desk and they handed us a plunjer and my boyfriend had to fix it himself. Not the best idea of a getaway when you have to do the handy work yourself. So if you want your items stolen and a broken toliet by all means stay here.

• Liked — Check Out
  • Disliked — the establishment as a whole
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
long island, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I went up to the Catskill mountain area for some tubing and mountain biking this weekend. We stayed at the Hunter Inn about 2min from Hunter mountain and it was delightful. We were upgraded from a smallroom to a two floor suite AND it was clean, smelled nice, no mold.

Positives
A WORKING jet bathtub that was amazing.
All day/night starbucks tea and coffee compliments of the inn.
Quiet, Restful
A HUGE included buffet breakfast that was amazing
Menus for the surrounding restaurants etc...
HBO TV for my husband with insomnia

Negatives
Pillows were hard

Overall, we were greeted with all smiles and had a really pleasant stay.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere at a great price
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
westfield, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

Hunter Mountain in New York's Catskills is a wonderful mountain for skiing that is close to the New York Metropolitan area (about 125 miles north of new York City). The mountain has 1,600 vertical terrain for skiers of all abilities.

The Hunter Inn, less than two miles from the mountain's entrance, is a beautifully appointed inn that is also reasonable priced.

The rooms are large, clean and attractive, a definite cut above many of the areas other offerings. The staff is friendly and very helpful.

Also, they have a beautiful buffet breakfast that's included in the price plus a complementary cocktail party from 5-7pm on weekends. They also have an excellent hot tub to relax after a hard day's skiing.

I would highly recommend this inn for your lodging needs in this area. It costs more to stay here but still reasonable with good value. You can't go wrong.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

Just finished a 3 day 2 night trip to Hunter Mountain. 2/26-2/28/07. Three weeks ago I was Skiing in Zermatt Switerland ( see my review on Hotel Couronne) so I'm not going to review the skiing here, just the hotel package. My wife, who is a non skier, and I really enjoyed the place. We took the midweek ski package in a standard mountain view room. The total cost was $280. Total, not Per Person!

For this we got, two nights stay in a large (15X28) room with two queen beds, tv etc. one drink each at the bar each night, a great breakfast buffet , a lift ticket each day for me, and a voucher for $25 buck per night at some local restaurants! Considering that a mid week lift ticket at Hunter Mountain was listed at $50 per day, I think this place was a real bargain. Both of the restaurants that we elected to go to were very good. Both took the vouchers with no questions asked and reduced our bills by $25. We only went to two places, but the food in both was good and reasonable. This is Not Like Switzerland where a personal (7 inch) pizza costs $25!

We really liked the Last Chance Cheese and Antique restaurant! Yup that's the name. They have 300 different brands of beer! I loved it! The Chili was so good I went back the next day for lunch and had it again. The waitresses we had each day were really fast, helpful and nice! My wife has filet of sole one night and liked it a lot. She had a Tuna Melt for luch that was supposed to have apples in it. When it came the apples were missing, the waitress took it back, they made another one in record time and were very sorry for the error and very nice about it!

The folks at Hunter INN were among the most pleasant hotel workers I've ever met. They were very up beat, smiles all the time and just plain nice. No forced smiles or if they were foreced they did a fantastic job of faking it!

The breakfast buffet had almost anything you could want for breakfast. They only serve breakfast, so for lunch you are on your own and for dinner the 12.50 per person coupons give you an incentive to try the places they mention. The closest place was 1 mile the furthest was 7 miles away. Most were in Tannersville which is 3 miles away.

From what I could gather, the standard rooms were on the lower level and the delux rooms were on the 2nd and 3rd floor. The mountain view was better from those rooms but I prefer the ground level rooms for hauling things in and out of the car. If you get a mountain view standard room, park out back and you are only a few feet away from your room! It made loading and unloading very easy.

The only criticisms I have are that there heating system is hot water based and you did hear drip, drip, drip at night, at least in room 110 you did! The heating coils are on the floor and in room 110 they run under the head of the bed so when you turn the heat up you really feel it in your pillow! We found the room way too hot so when we turned the heat down, the problem disappeared. If you have a choice look for a room where the heater does not run under the bed!

There is a bar, game room, exercise room, an outdoor hot tub (you must sign up for it), a reading room, nice fireplace and there is a laundry room ( get the key at the desk). The laundry room came in handy when I got some junk on my ski pants!

Since I'm retired, I travel a lot. I am fairly easy going but it is very seldom that i think I got a bargain. I think Hunter in Mid week package is an Honest to goodness bargain! Enjoy it.

PS the Mountain has a 1500 ft (they say) vertical so the skiing is only fair at best but they had pleanty of snow and very small crowds while I was there there was never a wait of more than 30 seconds in line! I bet it is a VERY different story on weekends.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Hunter Inn? Share your experiences!