“Since When Are You Not Allowed To Bring People Back To Your Room?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kaatskill Mountain Club

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Kaatskill Mountain Club
You added Kaatskill Mountain Club to your Saves list
62 Klein Avenue, Hunter, NY 12442   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hunter B&B and Inns
“Since When Are You Not Allowed To Bring People Back To Your Room?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

If the hotels of the world collectively decided one day to adopt a new policy of not permitting a renter to bring a guest back to their room, the hotel industry would collapse in a big huge heap. I'd say at least 80% of all hotel rooms are rented for the sole purpose of having a sleepover guest. Can you even imagine the businessmen of the world being told no women allowed back to their rooms? Hey, rock bands, no groupies? Hey spring breakers, no hookups allowed back in your rooms? No. That would be ludicrous. And yet, apparently that is the Kaatskill Mt Club's policy.
During the weekend of the Country Music Festival in June, I and a group of other girls rented a suite to stay in. The hotel had no problem accepting a large amount of money from us, then turned into the hookup police. They expected us to wear wristbands and no guests were allowed back in the hotel with us. This was especially unfortunate for myself and my cousin, who were forced to change in our car bc the management decided they had let enough people from our party in the hotel. I paid 200 dollars to sleep for about 5 hours on a pullout couch, not shower and no breakfast. Who has ever had to wear a wristband to get into their hotel room? The staff was rude and treated everyone with suspicion. I'm not talking about just my group. The management was so worried about extra people sneaking into rooms that they forgot to treat their paying customers with any professional
courtesy. They knew what kind of a venue was being held and we all paid dearly to secure a place to stay. And the place wasn't even worth it. If you are looking to pay a fortune to be treated like a 16 year old on a school trip, then this is the place for you. I have been to the mountain every year since I'm a kid and a lot of the new improvements are not improvements at all. Give me the old Hunter Highlands or HVI or Slopes over this tacky shitbox. Those places had charm and history. The Kaatskill
MT Club with its inane spelling is bland, boring and NOT where you want to stay.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel is amazing! I stayed for the German Alps Festival at hunter mountain. The pool and hot tubs are amazing although the hot tub was way too hot but it was still refreshing. Our deck view was beautiful on the 3rd floor. The Rip Van Winkle restaurant is also amazing and the pool has an amazing few of the fireworks. I recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for a week in July for a learning week, so my experiences will be vastly different from those coming for the skiing.
First, a shout-out to Theresa and the desk staff. My reservation was wrong, getting me a single room without fridge when I had booked a studio deluxe with full kitchen. The only room available was a one-bedroom suite above the conference rooms. Conference rooms where we had bagpipes playing until 10PM. Fortunately, I was with the bagpiping group, so I loved the convenience of hearing the piping every night from my room. So, thank you, Theresa!

The rooms are clean and spacious, just what you would need for a week-long stay. A special mention should be made of the bathrooms which looked like they had been newly refurbished.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep, either because of the bed or the fact that the rooms weren't light-proof. You would think that, high on a mountain, the night would be dark, but there were spotlights on the building that were kept on all night so light made it through the room-darkening curtains. So, not-so-good on the sleep department.
I couldn't use the pull-out sofa because that was visibly sagging, enough to make even sitting on the couch an adventure.
Otherwise, this place was well maintained, with workers touching up trim work while we were there.
Food was an issue. All rooms have a kitchen of sorts (no fridge in some) and there are some convenience foods available in the lobby, but the restaurant was only open for dinner. Undoubtedly this is for the off-season only, but it was still odd that a hotel didn't have a full-service restaurant. There was a convenience store in the village and a market in Tannersville, about five miles away.
The pool and spa were nice and there was a lovely fire pit on the patio.

Conclusions? It worked for a week when I was on a learning vacation. I wouldn't come here on my own, though.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a high floor and closer to the lodge (turning left from the lobby) as this avoids a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here in from Thursday-Saturday, and I wish we had stuck to our first choice, which would have been to stay in Kingston. Kaatskill was cheaper by about $50 in total, which is why we ended up here. My first complaint is the fact that it is not a hotel & spa – it’s an inn. The rooms are dated and not well thought out. We had a "wet bar" which is essentially a small kitchen sink in the room. We had a cupboard full of mugs, plates, glasses, etc and a drawer-full of cutlery, but there was no microwave and no fridge. That didn't make sense at all! After a long day on the slopes, we ordered food for take out, but by the time we were ready to eat the food, it was cold. There was no way to heat up the food but had plenty of cutlery! Also, the walls were thin with poor soundproofing. We could hear everything from upstairs, the hallways and the rooms next door. It's not even that we're too sensitive to the noise because we live in a NYC co-op where the walls are notoriously thin. We left the hotel dying to come home because we slept so badly during our stay. The TV was also an old chunky unit with 12 channels. Take note that dining at the restaurant in-house (Van Winkles) is restricted to those with reservations. We checked in at 8pm after a full day at the office and we were hungry after the long drive up. When we got there, they wouldn’t let us dine-in because we didn’t have a reservation. The place wasn’t even full! I was hoping at that point that the hotel would redeem itself somehow during our stay. Sorry Kaatskill Mountain Club – I really wanted to like you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

those bad reviews are unwarranted. this place is great. i had a studio suite or whatever its called. full fridge, dishwasher, stove, oven and microwave. it has a full kitchen. room has a sitting area with couch and coffee table, a dining table and a comfy bed. the tv is old, but it works just fine and the fire place was a nice touch. the bathroom is brand new. its a nice place and if there was a huge snowstorm its definitely ski in and out. and even without snow its a 5 minute walk right to the kaatskill flyer. i will definitely be back. its comfortable and convenient.

Room Tip: bring food, not many options very close by.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Wanted to eke out one last weekend on the slopes of some great Spring skiing, and thought Id give Hunter a try. Now I know why the extra 1.5 hour commute to Vermont is worthwhile. This is the only "slopeside" lodging option here, and it is definitely not ski in-ski-out. you are schlepping everything via shuttle. The walls are so paper thin as I read in many other reviews. If you must stay here, the top floor is the only way to go. I had kids above me who treated the ground like it was a trampoline. Whenever they hopped, all the walls in our suite shook. literally shook. So this is not a place where you should be seeking a serene getaway in the Catskills. I would never come here alone with my husband. This is a quick cheap getaway for the family, where the kids can run wild and get on skis. I will come back for that reason and that reason only: to get my kids on the mountain. I got here in under 2 hours and it's a quick and dirty way to get my kids their skiing/snowboarding lessons. if I wanted a nice mountain getaway, I'd opt for Mt Snow or Stratton Vermont. I've skied the Alps and Vail, so I have some perspective here when it comes to what you can only expect from east coast skiing. One positive: there is a restaurant/bar right here in the hotel, which is convenient not having to trek through snow for food/drink. It's typical pub fare type food (which I can really only stomach for one meal). So it was nice to arrive late friday night and just eat there. I will write a review of the other place we ate Sat night. As far as cleanliness and space and amenities, this hotel gets 3 stars--which is OK if you are a skier. The place is dated, as most catskill type places are. You have the cheesy tapestry like comforters and shams that double as the curtains and wonder when was the last time the actual comforter was changed. You bring slippers because you know the carpet hasnt been been shampooed in quite some time. Typical 3-star. But I give this less than 3 stars in the tripadvisor rating, because the paper thin walls, and lack of peace here gave me a LITERAL headache. After being on the slopes the entire day, you just want to kick back and relax. Not possible in your suite with all the clamoring of your neighbors all around you. Bring your kids for a quick and dirty ski weekend for the family. This is NOT your couples getaway. There is nothing luxurious or spa-like about Hunter. PS: bring a good pillow. Mattresses/pillows not comfortable. I know i am being mostly negative. Again the positive is: it's a quick and easy and cheap way to get the kids on the mountain.

Room Tip: Top floor a must, because of noise factor and paper thin walls.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in kaatskill Mt Club for Spring Break in the end of March. This Hotel is sutuated on the side slope of Hunter Mt the ski/in ski/out advertisement is a bit of a stretch but it is within walking distance of slopes. We were told check-in was at 4 pm but we could have possible early checkin if room was available. When we arrived at 1 pm we were told the room was almost ready...we finally got the room at 5:30...not a good start no explanation no apology nothing It was not like the place was busy it is off season. We went on to ski and hike for three days. Hunter is a nice mountain and the conditions were great. The Hotel has a nice outdoor pool with hot tub sauna steam room all very nice. The rooms are ok ..kitchens are reasonable stocked beds are just ok tvs are rediculously small but over all ok. The last two days my Daughter caught a stomach bug and had a fever. The boys had bought zip line tickets at 100 bucks a pop so I asked the front desk if I could have an extended check out so the boys could use their non refundable tickets and we could hang til they were done. I was told unfortunately no...but I could use still use the facilities like the hot tub..etc. How do you even argue a 10 year old in a hot tub with 101 degree fever. I like I said the place was empty. Go figure

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Kaatskill Mountain Club? Share your experiences!