“Beautiful, World Class Food, Wonderful Warm Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5 rooms left for Mtn Jam
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hunter
North Bay, Canada
“Beautiful, World Class Food, Wonderful Warm Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I travelled to Hunter New York from Canada. I stayed for 7 days. The rooms were so spacious and the scenery breath taking! There was a group of 18 of us. Despite the size we were very well taken care of. Great walks up Scribner Hollow. Wonderful swimming in the pool. We had lots of fun in the hot tub. The FOOD- was the best I have had. Excellent selection and catered well to our many needs- vegan, vegetarian. The rooms were very clean and beds were comfy. We enjoyed ending our day sitting in our living area having tea. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

This place looked great in the brochure. Don't trust it!!! Very antiquated decor. They made our room look like look Germany and it was sooooo tacky.(they never mentioned the Germany theme when making the reservation) Fake plants everywhere. The carpet looked like a fake wood floor. I will say the room was immaculate, but so outdated. Our reservation included a free breakfast in the am. OMG!!!! The worst ever! Burnt pancakes and french toast!,horrible coffee, and burnt omelets!!!!!! I would have rather had dunkin donuts. The biggest problem here is that they charge you like its a 4 star lodge!!!! They are taking advantage of tourists!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor, and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My stay at this place lasted 5 minutes. We literally walked in and out.
We entered the lobby and we flabbergasted to find garbage littered ALL over the floor. Even more shocking were the small children eating food off the bare floor unattended my any adults. It was like a scene out of a slum.
This place was downright dirty and the prices they charge are absolutely outrageous.

A definite no no.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
acato, Manager at Scribner Hollow Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. It is comments from our valued guest like you that help us get better at what we do. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a thoroughly enjoyable home away from home experience.

In order to make that happen we have to be able to identify and then address any problems or issues that might come up during a guest’s stay with us. And frankly, we unfortunately agree with the majority of your observations made during this unique, one moment in time and do appreciate you letting us know.

Your reservation to stay at the Scribner Hollow Lodge came on the same weekend that we had a large group staying at the hotel. This group was not a fit for the hotel and as a result of your comments and their actions we have modified our policies so that this particular situation does not present itself in the future.

Again thank you for you comments and please feel free to contact me personally to assist you with your next stay should you choose to visit Hunter in the future.

Respectfully
Staff and Ownership
Frank Deluca
Houston, Texas, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever been to. I have been to many hotels around the world and Scribner Hollow Lodge is by far the worst!

They are very overpriced for very poor quality. The food was OK - nothing great. The rooms were terrible - felt dusty and dirty.

They gave me a room that had broken air conditioning and multiple cobwebs (with spiders in them). So I had to change rooms (with 2 young kids) late at night. I had to move all of my stuff myself - they did not offer to move my bags for me! All they moved was the crib. They put me in a room that was upstairs and they don't have an elevator at their lodge. That is fine for single people, however I had a young child in a stroller. So anytime I had to go eat or wanted to leave the hotel, I had to carry my stroller down multiple sets of stairs. It was terrible!

They also say they have WIFI - but it doesn't actually work in the rooms - so it's basically useless.

The most important thing is that they overcharged me and they refused to refund me the money. I realized this after the bill had been paid, but they refused to fix it on the spot. They said I had to call the next day to talk to Kate who does the books. Well, when I talked to Kate she refused to refund me the money that was obviously overcharged, saying they had done me a favor by moving me out of a room with broken air conditioning to one that has AC (that was way smaller than the original room). I now have to take my time and effort to try and correct this through the credit card company! What a waste of time!

I would never go to Scribner Hollow Lodge again - the place is terrible! Stay away!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

a truly unique place we travel far and wide and usually pay exhorbitant fees to stay in suites at the four seasons because they can accomodate our brood in relative comfort
scribner's quite shockingly while different in form, matched them in substance (plenty of space to sleep seven, a pool for the kids, hot tub for dad, sauna for mom) the accomodations were more efficient but the big upside was the food and value!!
delicious and clearly rendered by someone who enjoys eating not just creating, is unpretentious but values the finest quality as a free-standing restaurant this might be the best of its type: generous portions but not globs of excess; well thought out and reasonably priced wine; earnest but not overly solicitous service. when will they open an outpost in greenwich, ct? both frank, sr. and jr. made us feel at home, which doesnot happen often with our young and spirited kids in tow

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
New jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here with two of our friends in rooms 1 and 2 and we had a wonderful stay. The rooms were quit large and very clean. The dinner that is included in the stay was amazing. I had a rack of veal and my husband had the Cajun steak and we all loved the food, it was cooked to perfection. The appetizers were wonderful and so was the service. The pool under the hotel is very cool and the hot tube was perfect after a long day of skiing. We would stay here again and we would just go here for dinner. The dinner is worth $100 for two people. The photos on the website are 100% accurate of the hotel. It is older, but very clean and enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
wtchbtch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

My husband booked what he thought would be a romantic weekend for Valentine's Day. He made the reservations over the phone for the Honeymoon Suite (a two-story room with a fireplace and a staircase to the loft with a skylight above your bed) and unfortunately did not get the name of the person he booked with. When we arrived, we were given a key to a room in a part of the Lodge that looked like it was an addition. When we opened the door, we found ourselves in a room a little bigger than a walk in closet. On the upside of things, the room did have a fireplace. My husband, who is usually a quiet guy, went back to the desk and informed them that this was not the room he booked. The woman at the front desk was very nice, but informed us that she was not able to honor the reservation for the Honeymoon Suite without knowing who he spoke to because in the computer the room we reserved was the room we just saw. She offered us "the only other room left" for an additional $100 (the price of our room would now be $440/night!). She was kind enough to show us the other room and upon seeing it, we agreed to pay the difference because it was a much nicer room and we had not traveled three hours to turn around and go home or stay in a walk in closet. She said she would leave a note for the owner who would be in that evening. We were there for 2 nights and never did see the owner. As for the rest of the experience...the location is directly across the road from Hunter Mtn which is great if you're skiing, the food (breakfast and dinner) was OK and included in the price, the drinks were strong but not included in your price, and the wine selection is actually very extensive and also a little expensive. They have a gentleman on staff, Frankie, that makes recommendations on which wine to get based on your entree selections and he was on point both nights we were there-the highlight of our stay. The "Grotto" is a medium sized indoor pool with an overwhelming aroma of bleach but I guess it's not bad if you have kids, and there is no game room as advertised. I feel cheated for the amount of money spent-I could have stayed in a 5 star hotel in NYC and received 5 star treatment. I will not be returning and I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Scribner Hollow Lodge? Share your experiences!