“Scribner Hollow in the rain” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
As low as $159 til Xmas
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hunter
New York
“Scribner Hollow in the rain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband is the Presidnet of a very large union in NYS and every year two of his union regional coordinators conduct a training session at Scribner Hollow.

Not only is this hotel in one of the most beautiful areas on NYS but the staff is just exceptional. Kate and Guy Chirico, the owners are warm and friendly not just to their guests but like family to their staff which consists of students from a college nearby that offers a program to international students in the travel field. They open their hotel and their hearts to these young people to give them experience that can only be gained by association of working with Americans and learning our customs and language to further serve them in their chosen professions. Many American students also do their internships here.

Guy is an excellent chef and his talents are conveyed from breakfast thru dinner each day. Kate can be seen frequently helping out where needed or just wandering around talking to guests to make them feel at home. There is also one young lady by the name of Melissa who started out as a student doing her internship there several years ago and has become a member of the staff since graduation whom we have watched blossom under the influence of such competent owners.

Hunter Mountain offers relaxation, summer and winter fun and Scribner Hollow offers rest for those that choose to ski, sled or just spend a weekend hiking the many trails. It's not the Ritz but it is both fun and charming in its own way! It is also a hotel where children are welcome with open arms.

• Liked — fireplace in our room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
carbobbie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

This was my second visit to this hotel. I enjoyed my first stay so much that I brought my wife this time. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The facility overlooks Hunter Mountain. What a view! We stayed in a duplex with a fireplace. The facilty is not large, but, it has all the conveniences one would want. We felt relaxed and refreshed when we left. From the warm and friendly welcome, to the knowledgeable and capable bar tender, who it seemed could prepare any possible drink imaginable, and the delicious food prepared with care, served by very friendly staff who were always around us. We enjoyed all the meals that we selected. For me one desert stands out that everyone must try. The warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream was to die for. I usually do not eat desert, however, I asked for seconds. That's what makes the Scribner Hollow special. I strongly recommend this hotel

• Liked — The views and food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grant/Valkeria Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

From Oct. 1 to Oct 8th 2008 we vacationed at the Scribner Hollow Lodge. My girl friend being a resident of the Town of Hunter had known the owner and his father for a number of years and that is why we chose to reside there. On our first day we were presented with a bill to pre pay the entire stay. I had never heard of such a thing and reluctently I paid this bill. We spent a total of $1797.00 for the entire stay. On Oct. 8th upon check out an invoice with all the totals was presented. Everything seemed to be in order and I signed to pay the balance. A few days later on my bank website I noticed an addittional charge for $31.03 for which I did not authorize. This charge was for 31 local phone calls within the local Hunter area code. On Oct. 15 I notified the owners and they stated that a phone charge of one dollar per call was imposed and that all Hotels would charge this. This is an inaccurate statement. I mentioned to the owners that the subject of local phone calls was discussed with the desk clerk upon booking the reservatiion. The cleark had stated there were no local phone call charges, only long distance. This charge was not disclosed on the phone card in the room nor on the Hotel conditions. Beware of hidden charges in this Hotel!

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The owners
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My boyfriend and I took a spontaneous trip upstate and came across Scribner Hollow Lodge. To keep it short and sweet, the staff really made us feel welcomed, so much that we extended our stay. The fireplace in our room was an added bonus, the views from the lodge are amazing, the grotto was a lot of fun and quite creative, the bar lounge was warm and friendly and then there is the food........

The Prospect Restaurant is amazing! It really is a fine dining experience and to say the food is delicious is an understatement. Whether you stay for breakfast or make dinner reservations, its a must, with extra kudos to the wine selection. The Prospect Restaurant has to be the best in the region (and this is not a paid advertisement and I am not a friend or relative).

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We definitley plan to go back soon.

• Liked — I can't choose just one thing, the staff, the food, the fun
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I thought Scribner Hollow Lodge had charm and above all catered to its clientele. It is a family-owned lodge and I felt their personal attention to detail throughout the entirety of my stay. I have a disability and they catered to my every need above and beyond what most hotels would do. The dining room had a warm and friendly atmosphere, so much so that you could visit with the people at the other tables, which I found very inviting. The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. I would definitely stay there again and in fact I am thinking of a return visit in the fall to see the colors.

Stayed August 2008
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

My best friend's sister booked a suite at the Scribner Hollow Lodge as part of a birthday present to her sister. We were going to the TAP festival and were looking for a nice hotel within walking distance of Hunter Mountain.

This is not remotely what we got. What we got was a delapidated, 70's lodge, complete with what appeared to be original linens, blankets, and mattresses
dirty, burned rugs,
a fireplace (without wood) that was too close to the pull out sofa bed to be safely used, even if wood had been supplied.
paper thin walls with neighbors playing drinking games that kept us up until all hours of the morning. I am all for a good time (but I don't want to hear every word of it.)

The sink in the bathroom looked as if it may fall right off the wall at any minute, my friend's entire cosmetic bag almost ended up in the toilet as it "rolled" off the sink area.

As I was putting on my shoes the next morning, I saw 3 bugs cross my path in the time that my attention was on the carpet.

The "grotto" while not marked, was easy to find as we followed the smell of chlorine toward the astroturf (in the brochure it is referred to as comfortable carpet that feels like grass under your feet.) Again, another scribner-ism. Their brochure makes many, many claims that seem to be miles from the truth but maybe are just complete and utter exaggerations.

While I'm not sure that any of the other hotels in the area are any better, they are at least cheaper!

Because I was with friends, we actually had a great weekend but it was completely in spite of this "hotel."

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

If this hotel cost about $50 a night, I would not be writing a negative review. But the outrageous thing is that it cost almost $300 a night when we stayed there last weekend. We stayed in a tiny room with very little for amenities. We were told the room slept 3 comfortably. There was a full size bed and a pullout. I wouldn't say we slept comfortably. Everything in the tiny room seemed old and poorly conceived. The sink looked like it was about to fall over, the toilet didn't quite fit where it was so the seat wouldn't go up the whole way. The heating system looked hilariously old but it did work. Only problem: it was either 400 degrees or zero. The rest of the hotel looks like it was last updated many years before I was born. The "grotto" is hilarious. I did not see fecal matter, as one reviewer wrote but I certainly wouldn't have been surprised. These people are really getting away with something, though. The whole place was booked when we stayed. My sister booked the room because this place dubbed itself the nicest place near Hunter. There is just no way.

• Liked — very little... close to Hunter
  • Disliked — it's a total ripoff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Scribner Hollow Lodge? Share your experiences!